What mtdna haplogroups emerged w/ y-dna haplogroup I in the mesolithc?

elghund

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Appalachian American
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1b2a1a
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c1
What mtDNA haplogroup(s) emerged with Y-DNA haplogorup I in the Balkans during the Mesolithic? I'm guessing U5 is one.

Are U5 and U4 mtDNA similar?

The question is based on somewhat of a faulty premise. Y-DNA I did not emerge "in the Balkans during the Mesolithic." It certainly arose during the Paleolithic, we're not sure where, and had diversified into several branches (about 11 or so of which have been found extant today) by the beginning of the Mesolithic. Also, I'm unaware of any mtDNA haplogroups that arose in Europe, unless we're talking about subclades, at which point, the answer is "a lot." An easier question to answer is "what mtDNA haplogroups were in Europe by the beginning of the Mesolithic?"

To answer that: We know N* was for sure, and it appears that R0, HV, and U were as well, as that's what we have in terms of ancient Paleolithic samples so far. Certainly U5 became quite common during the Mesolithic, apparently eventually beating out N in terms of frequency. H, U4, V, K, and T have also been found in ancient Mesolithic DNA samples. We don't have any samples that I know of from the Balkans in particular, but I suspect that the pattern is similar there as with the rest of Europe.

Are U5 and U4 mtDNA similar?

They are both subclades of U, which is really old, nearly 60,000 years old. To put that in perspective, that's probably older than the age of the common ancestor of Y-DNA Haplogroup I and Haplogroup R. So, they're usually treated as being dissimilar, although they have largely overlapping distributions.

In fact, U4 and U5 are actually on opposite ends of the U tree. U4 is on a branch along with U2, U3, U7, U8, K, and U9 (U4 is particularly close to U9), while U5 is on its own branch going back to the U MRCA (this is also the case for U1 and U6).

This thread has been viewed 8041 times.

Back