Regional Iberian data (From Dienekes' Blog)

By any chance, are the Basque agricultural terms related to the Iberian ones? Or are they internally reconstructible from other earlier vocabulary?

On the first question, it is not known. The problem is that Iberian is as of currently still a largely undeciphered language (even though the script isn't), and a vast part of the language remains unknown. Common Basque-Iberian words clearly exist (for example Iberian "ili-" and Basque "hiri" - both meaning town/city), but it's as of now uncertain if these are Basque loans into Iberian, Iberian loans into Basque, or common words because Basque and Iberian belong into the same language family.

For the second, R. L. Trask (with a necessary dosis of disbelief!) suggested that a number of words for tools such as aiztur (shears) and aizto (knife) may be derived from the Basque word '(h)aitz' (stone). But, how likely is it for explicitly shears and knife to be derived from the word for "stone"?

For the second, R. L. Trask (with a necessary dosis of disbelief!) suggested that a number of words for tools such as aiztur (shears) and aizto (knife) may be derived from the Basque word '(h)aitz' (stone). But, how likely is it for explicitly shears and knife to be derived from the word for "stone"?

What if aizto was related to a very archaic form of knife made in stone (silex blade)? If that was the case that would relates Basque to a pre-Neolithic language.

On the first question, it is not known. The problem is that Iberian is as of currently still a largely undeciphered language (even though the script isn't), and a vast part of the language remains unknown. Common Basque-Iberian words clearly exist (for example Iberian "ili-" and Basque "hiri" - both meaning town/city), but it's as of now uncertain if these are Basque loans into Iberian, Iberian loans into Basque, or common words because Basque and Iberian belong into the same language family.

Wasn't it claimed that Basque and Iberian numerals are cognate? Numerals would be one of the most probable terms a hunter-gatherer population would borrow from an agricultural one, in my opinion.

I asked my mother about the origin of the Basque language, she it is not contaminated by any information on the subject.

He answered that language is not here (Spain) or the Iberians and from the north, north, far north.

About this samples, Dienekes' says there is regional information available of 108 individuals, but only 96 are listed if I'm not wrong. That could mean the unknown 12 are of very mixed ancestry between regions, or he just forgot to include them and gonna do it when repeating the analysis with all samples.

This thread has been viewed 16226 times.

Back