Bosnia - haplogroups in three main ethnic groups

Kotroman

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Bosniak (Slavic)
mtDNA haplogroup
HV-T16311C!
Can you please write down those numbers of percentage on "Distribution of European Y-chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) haplogroups by country in percentage":

Bosniaks (Bosnian muslims):
E3b1: 13%
E3b*: 0%
G: 3,5%
I1: 4,5%
I2a: 43,5%
I* 0%
I2b: 0%
J1: 2,5%
J2: 9,5%
R1a1: 15,5%
R1b: 3,5%
T: 1%

Bosnian Serbs:
E3b1: 20%
E3b*: 2,5%
G: 1%
I1: 2,5%
I2a: 31%
I2b: 1%
I*: 1%
J1: 0%
J2: 8,5%
R1a1: 13,5%
R1b: 6%
T: 7,5%

Bosnian Croats:
E3b1: 9%
I1: 0%
I2a: 71%
I*: 2%
J2: 1%
R1a1: 12%
R1b: 2%
T: 0%

From: "The peopling of Bosnia-Herzegovina: Y-chromosome haplogroups in the three main ethnic groups, 2005" by Marjan Damjanović.

I am sorry, I am new here, but for some reason, I am not yet allowed to post links on this forum.

Thank you.

Last edited:
It would be great if the person who is responsible (probably the moderator) for writing down the percentages of haplogroups in "Distribution of European Y-chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) haplogroups by country in percentage", could write down those numbers of percentages under Bosnia and Herzegovina, with Bosniaks, Bosnian Serbs and Bosnian Croats, like you did with Germany, France, Greece and Spain.

Last edited:
It would be great if the person who is responsible (probably the moderator) for writing down the percentages of haplogroups in "Distribution of European Y-chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) haplogroups by country in percentage", could write down those numbers of percentages under Bosnia and Herzegovina, with Bosniaks, Bosnian Serbs and Bosnian Croats, like you did with Germany, France, Greece and Spain.
I suggest to either write % only for Muslim Boshniaks or but as the poster above suggested, but it need to be fixed. :)

I don't understand why called bosniaks.......just because you are muslim don't need to change name of ethnic group.

I suggest to either write % only for Muslim Boshniaks or but as the poster above suggested, but it need to be fixed. :)

Absolutely. :) But we will see what Maciamo will do in due time.

I don't understand why called bosniaks.......just because you are muslim don't need to change name of ethnic group.

Changed name of ethnic group? What? When?

Can you please write down those numbers of percentage on "Distribution of European Y-chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) haplogroups by country in percentage":

Bosniaks (Bosnian muslims):
E3b1: 13%
G: 3,5%
I1: 4,5%
I2a: 43,5%
I* 0%
J1: 2,5%
J2: 9,5%
R1a1: 15,5%
R1b: 3,5%
T: 1%

Bosnian Serbs:
E3b1: 20%
E3b*: 2,5%
I1: 2,5%
I2a: 31%
I2b: 1%
I*: 1%
J2: 8,5%
R1a1: 13,5%
R1b: 6%
T: 7,5%

Bosnian Croats:
E3b1: 9%
I1: 0%
I2a: 71%
I*: 2%
J2: 1%
R1a1: 12%
R1b: 2%
T: 0%

From: "The peopling of Bosnia-Herzegovina: Y-chromosome haplogroups in the three main ethnic groups, 2005" by Marjan Damjanović.

I am sorry, I am new here, but for some reason, I am not yet allowed to post links on this forum.

Thank you.

It is a coincidence that T1 among Bosnian Serbs is too much. You can see findings in Serbia. According Pericic et al. in Serbia was 7,8% K*. However newer researches not confirmed it (not mentoin it). And I have a little skepticism about researches performed at that time. Again, the example of Serbia, later two researches conducted of American scientists (2010 and 2012) gave real situation Serbian haplogroups. I think it is right time that in Bosnia and Hezegovina (both Republic of Serbian and BH federation) be performed serious research and to be led by American or European researchers, not the local or Balkans.

Changed name of ethnic group? What? When?

You are right. Bosniacs may themselves to call how wish. They are mostly muslim, but, you agree, that probably there are Bosniacs who are atheists. But people who are not from the Balkans can interfere terms Bosniacs and Bosnians. Both Serbs and Bosniacs and Croats can be Bosnians, Bosnians are inhabitants of Bosnia and Herzegovina, while Bosniacs are one of nations who live in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is fair to say. And I think, although I'm not sure, that it is more appropriate to write in English Bosniacs rather than Bosniaks.

It is a coincidence that T1 among Bosnian Serbs is too much. You can see findings in Serbia. According Pericic et al. in Serbia was 7,8% K*. However newer researches not confirmed it (not mentoin it). And I have a little skepticism about researches performed at that time. Again, the example of Serbia, later two researches conducted of American scientists (2010 and 2012) gave real situation Serbian haplogroups. I think it is right time that in Bosnia and Hezegovina (both Republic of Serbian and BH federation) be performed serious research and to be led by American or European researchers, not the local or Balkans.

You are right. Bosniacs may themselves to call how wish. They are mostly muslim, but, you agree, that probably there are Bosniacs who are atheists. But people who are not from the Balkans can interfere terms Bosniacs and Bosnians. Both Serbs and Bosniacs and Croats can be Bosnians, Bosnians are inhabitants of Bosnia and Herzegovina, while Bosniacs are one of nations who live in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is fair to say. And I think, although I'm not sure, that it is more appropriate to write in English Bosniacs rather than Bosniaks.
I'm surprised Bosian serbs have such high E3b1 at 20% don't you think so? On a y-dna chart they are closest with Gheg Albanians and Greeks then rest of Serbia.

I'm surprised Bosian serbs have such high E3b1 at 20% don't you think so?

I don't think so. One part of Thracians are Serbs, and you can see in this forum, assumption is that Thracians were carriers of E1b1b. It is same with Bosniacs, they have about 14% E1b1b. Bulgarians have more than Serbs and Bosniacs, again Thracian roots.

It is possible that some Serbian tribes from Montenegro probably were carriers of E1b1b. And Serbs and Greeks have long common history and interference. And Serbs and Romanians too. Etc.

And you can notice we are talking about movements carriers of haplogroups, all today's nations are a product of modern time.

I don't think so. One part of Thracians are Serbs, and you can see in this forum, assumption is that Thracians were carriers of E1b1b. It is same with Bosniacs, they have about 14% E1b1b. Bulgarians have more than Serbs and Bosniacs, again Thracian roots.

It is possible that some Serbian tribes from Montenegro probably were carriers of E1b1b. And Serbs and Greeks have long common history and interference. And Serbs and Romanians too. Etc.

And you can notice we are talking about movements carriers of haplogroups, all today's nations are a product of modern time.
Its only assumption that E1b1b were carriers by thracians,but does not change the fact that bosnian serb cluster more with Gheg Albanians, greeks then do with the majority serbs who have I2a. I dont know if that bothers you.

Last edited:
It depends where the samples were gathered. If they were gathered in eastern BiH, the percentage of E3b1 would be higher that that for western Bosnia, and I don't think that has anything to do with their ethnicity.

Thracians and Illyrians are assumed to be R1a, I2 at this moment.

Its only assumption that E1b1 were carriers by thracians,but does not change the fact that bosnian serb cluster more with Gheg Albanians, greeks then do with the majority serbs who have I2a. I dont know if that bothers you.

Why bother me? I don't understand. The aim is to find out what were the movements bearers of different haplogroups in the past, when there was no nations in today's terms, nor state borders. And yes, the assumptions are that Thracians were carriers of E1b1b, you can see that Maciamo write that Thracians and Illyrians were carriers of I2a1b (I2a2 older nomenclature) and R1a.

It depends where the samples were gathered. If they were gathered in eastern BiH, the percentage of E3b1 would be higher that that for western Bosnia, and I don't think that has anything to do with their ethnicity.

Thracians and Illyrians are assumed to be R1a, I2 at this moment.

Yes, eastern BiH have more E1b1b (more relatively to other parts not absolutely) and northern BiH have more R1a and Herzegovina have more I2a2. And carriers of haplogroups in past had nothing to do with today's ethnicity.

It is interesting, earlier opinion was that the Trachians were more E1b1b, today a lot of people think that Thracians were mix I2a2 and R1a. Maybe, Thracians were mix all of three haplogroups, and it is possible that some Thracian regions were more E1b1b and other more I2a2 and R1a. Thracians were big group of tribes and probably they had different haplogroups.

The thracians where I2a tribesmen; as where the Dacians

There are different opinions. Bird (2007) writes in Journal of Genetic Genealogy that the highest frequency E1b1b (E-V13) worldwide were at Thracians and Dacians.

yes for what you say about Dacians, but thracians are I2c , as per southern thracia and anatolian thracians( bithynia), its also found in kurds and armenians.
Its even in britain brought by thracian roman legionaires
Armenian/kurd I2 individuals are mostly I2c (P215+ L596+ L597+ P37.2- P217- L416-)

Yes, eastern BiH have more E1b1b (more relatively to other parts not absolutely) and northern BiH have more R1a and Herzegovina have more I2a2. And carriers of haplogroups in past had nothing to do with today's ethnicity.

It is interesting, earlier opinion was that the Trachians were more E1b1b, today a lot of people think that Thracians were mix I2a2 and R1a. Maybe, Thracians were mix all of three haplogroups, and it is possible that some Thracian regions were more E1b1b and other more I2a2 and R1a. Thracians were big group of tribes and probably they had different haplogroups.

IIRC E1b1b1 is from North-west africa ( berber)

the only "illyrian" I marker that I know about is from pannonia area and its
Haplo I2a1b3 (M423+ L621+), found basically from masovia to pannonia and the eastern alps, and is also in the british isles.
I would like to know if its found in some southern "illyrian" tribes

The name of Illyrians as applied by the ancient Greeks to their northern neighbours may have referred to a broad, ill-defined group of peoples, and it is today unclear to what extent they were linguistically and culturally homogeneous. The Illyrian tribes never collectively regarded themselves as 'Illyrians', and it is unlikely that they utilized any collective nomenclature for themselves.[7] The term Illyrioi may originally have designated only a single people who came to be widely known to the Greeks due to proximity.[18]

due to modern terms for illyrians as per above, the southern illyrian I am referring to are the dalmatians

IIRC E1b1b1 is from North-west africa ( berber)

Yes you're right, I should write E1b1b1a1b but it is long, and illegible. E1b1b is not mistaken, because it is origin (M-215), and a lot of people write so. Of course it is more accurate to write long or E-V13, you can see that I sometimes write E-V13 parenthetical.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 53028 times.

Back