Who were the greatest Italians in history ?

Sile, it's fine to have a love for your place of birth (locality)! Who does not after all? But eventually we all belong to a bigger group, the nation.

We should not care that much of what politicians say, after all things change.

When someone says Italy, he means the Italian peninsula (the "boot").

What we should care for is what people believe. If they considered themselves Italians, they are Italians ...

Venetians, Genovese, Napolitanos etc. spoke the same language, and in general had almost everything in common. To me this is what characterizes a nation. For your country is the so called Italikon, similar to the notion of the Hellenikon.

Don't waste your time, Echetlaeus. Unless, of course, you just want to stoke the fire to watch it burn!
grin.png

I knew he wasn't Italian. Another one of these diaspora Italians, not educated there, who know nothing of its history or culture, who have never lived there, and who know nothing of current (or past) Italian attitudes, opinions, or, God knows, politics, but presume to opine on all these matters. That's if even the claim of Veneto ancestry is legitimate. How many "Italians" on anthrofora are actually Italian at all? Or are of the ethnicity they claim? Disturbed people hiding behind pseudo identities.

You'll meet Greek Americans like them too, but they, like southern Italians, at least have the decency to be proud of their ancestry and culture. Even among the admittedly small group of northern Italians I know here, some from northeastern Italy as well as the rest of the north, I've never heard such nonsense. Renounce one of the greatest cultures on earth to claim allegiance with some fantasy ethnicity centered on some cow pat covered Alpine fields? Madness.

Thank-goodness I timed out while writing my post for the thread, and so wound up on the Activity feed where despite my ignore list I was able to see that misguided comment. When the subject is genetics people can read the relevant papers and come to their own conclusions about the worth, or lack of it, of certain posts. When it's about another country readers have no way of knowing how much weight to give certain comments. I'm not about to let some one carry on with this kind of masquerade and mislead fellow forum members.

Sile, it's fine to have a love for your place of birth (locality)! Who does not after all? But eventually we all belong to a bigger group, the nation.

nations have run their course , they are not needed anymore...unions like the EU is needed, and the EU does not need nations in it

Another thread totally ruined because it is taken off topic by people with bizarre ideas and conduct.

Don't waste your time, Echetlaeus. Unless, of course, you just want to stoke the fire to watch it burn!
grin.png

I knew he wasn't Italian. Another one of these diaspora Italians, not educated there, who know nothing of its history or culture, who have never lived there, and who know nothing of current (or past) Italian attitudes, opinions, or, God knows, politics, but presume to opine on all these matters. That's if even the claim of Veneto ancestry is legitimate. How many "Italians" on anthrofora are actually Italian at all? Or are of the ethnicity they claim? Disturbed people hiding behind pseudo identities.

You'll meet Greek Americans like them too, but they, like southern Italians, at least have the decency to be proud of their ancestry and culture. Even among the admittedly small group of northern Italians I know here, some from northeastern Italy as well as the rest of the north, I've never heard such nonsense. Renounce one of the greatest cultures on earth to claim allegiance with some fantasy ethnicity centered on some cow pat covered Alpine fields? Madness.

Thank-goodness I timed out while writing my post for the thread, and so wound up on the Activity feed where despite my ignore list I was able to see that misguided comment. When the subject is genetics people can read the relevant papers and come to their own conclusions about the worth, or lack of it, of certain posts. When it's about another country readers have no way of knowing how much weight to give certain comments. I'm not about to let some one carry on with this kind of masquerade and mislead fellow forum members.

retric of a confused brain-washed person

As usual I give the logical documentation...you give your fantasy ideas.
When are you going to give some real facts on the situation.
As i stated, If Italy did not form in 1861, would they still be Italian by geographical expression

As usual....you promise many things, but they never eventuate, because your promises are fantasies. And when you cannot deliver, you get into a tantrum..........not just with me, but with many I have seen recently...............you basically need to get your own way...like a spoilt child

You hide behind your New York abode and claim Italian .......are you not an American?

Last edited:
Arturo Toscanini, the conductor

[video=youtube;Nt7pPKXDhPc]His name is interesting TOSCAnini. Does the Tosca means Tuscan or Toska (Alabnian)?

Obviously, Tosca means from Tuscany, Italy.

Tosk (Albanian) is a word borrowed from Latin but it's not related to Tuscany or Tuscan.

grin.png

I completely agree with you.

The man who invented pizza???

Pizza was most likely invented by an Italian woman, not an Italian man.

I would personally add to the list of great Italians the name of whoever invented grappa.

uuuuu, grappa is lethal....it burns better than gasoline....

Generally speaking, I find Italian liqueurs to be potentially lethal. Sambuca and Frangelico seem much more benign than grappa - until you drink too much of either.

[FONT=&quot]Leonardo Da Vinci is, without a doubt, one of the greatest Italian geniuses of all times: Here's a recent curiosity about his descent: Leonardo Da Vinci's family tree reveals 14 living descendants.

“The family tree of the Renaissance-era Italian polymath Leonardo da Vinci has been traced across 690 years and 21 generations — revealing 14 living male descendants.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Historians Alessandro Vezzosi and Agnese Sabato have spent a decade delving through records to piece together the male line of the da Vinci family.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...cis-descendants-14-living-male-relations.html
http://www.pontecorboli.com/digital...-of-the-Da-Vinci-Family-for-Leonardos-DNA.pdf[/FONT]

Leonardo Da Vinci is, without a doubt, one of the greatest Italian geniuses of all times: Here's a recent curiosity about his descent: Leonardo Da Vinci's family tree reveals 14 living descendants.

“The family tree of the Renaissance-era Italian polymath Leonardo da Vinci has been traced across 690 years and 21 generations — revealing 14 living male descendants.

Historians Alessandro Vezzosi and Agnese Sabato have spent a decade delving through records to piece together the male line of the da Vinci family.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...cis-descendants-14-living-male-relations.html
http://www.pontecorboli.com/digital...-of-the-Da-Vinci-Family-for-Leonardos-DNA.pdf

Very interesting, Duarte. Thanks.

I think this research will mainly be useful for proof of identity if they ever get their hands on remains claimed to be those of Leonardo. I doubt the autosomes will tell them much.

For one thing, after all this time the amount of dna they share with him will be infinitesimal. Also, the male descendants of the Vinci family haven't exactly set the world on fire, and indeed everything I know of Leonardo's father indicates he was a very prosaic man.

Perhaps the genius came through his mother, along with maybe some fortuitous mutations. We'll never be able to trace her descendants, though, as so little is known of her.

Now, if they could only study his actual remains! :)

Marco Polo, Benvenuto Cellini, Giuseppe Garibaldi or Enrico Caruso.

Julius Caesar is in the top 5.

Leonardo Da Vinci is, without a doubt, one of the greatest Italian geniuses of all times: Here's a recent curiosity about his descent: Leonardo Da Vinci's family tree reveals 14 living descendants.

“The family tree of the Renaissance-era Italian polymath Leonardo da Vinci has been traced across 690 years and 21 generations — revealing 14 living male descendants.

Historians Alessandro Vezzosi and Agnese Sabato have spent a decade delving through records to piece together the male line of the da Vinci family.”

http://www.pontecorboli.com/digital...-of-the-Da-Vinci-Family-for-Leonardos-DNA.pdf

Peremptory statements but in the end there is no smoking gun. He is just advertising his novel. Nor is it true that as he claims he discovered new documents. Those documents have been known since at least the 1980s, and published in 1992, and other scholars do not think there is any evidence that this Caterina of Circassian origin is really Leonardo's mother.

The myth of Leonardo's slave and foreign mother arose a few decades ago because Caterina was often a name given to female slaves during that period and the idea that slaves could not be local. But Caterina was not exclusively a name for female slaves, it was also a name given to local free women, even of the local nobility, just to give an example.

However, having created prejudice, some desperately try to prove it. The latter in particular, who teaches at the Orientale in Naples (and therefore must have some interest in the "Orient" for sure) has chosen to publish a novel, mixing true facts with invented ones. Which is not very intellectually honest stuff for a historian. Because it will completely confuse the readers, but effective enough to feed the myth. Whether true or false.

Long read - What do we really know about Leonardo da Vinci's mother?

https://www.finestresullarte.info/e...-really-know-about-leonardo-da-vinci-s-mother

This thread has been viewed 83629 times.

Back