Question Can parents' strength of character influence the sex ratio of their children ?

"Atlantic Europeans reached the Americas in deep antiquity" There's archeological evidence for this?

Just to throw more wood into the fire...Supposedly, there's an old world belief that it's how you "stick it in" to the wife that determines the sex of the child. If she's on top or in control the child is female while if the man is on top then the child will be a son.

Maybe there's some truth to this who knows but a lot of older generation believe in it so it could have some truth to it. Kinda fits in with what you were saying Maciamo, about the strength and dominate personality of the couple.

Other examples of women with strong character having lots of girls:

Empress Maria Theresa, who effectively ruled the Holy Roman Empire and Austrian Empire in place of her husband, Francis I, had 16 children, among which 11 were girls.

One of her daughters, Maria Carolina became Queen of Naples and Sicily through her marriage to the weak and dissolute Ferdinand I of the Two Sicilies. Maria Carolina also assumed full control of the politics of her kingdom, ruling with an iron fist, like her mother. She had 18 children, including 11 girls. Considering the little faithfulness between the two spouses (both had countless lovers), it wouldn't be surprising if quite a few of her children were not by her husband though.

Using the same logic, one could claim exactly the opposite. Men produce both X and Y sperm, but both are present in enormous quantity. It is only the mother's body that selects which spermatozoa will be able to reach the ovum. So you could say that the determining factor is the mother's body, i.e. the acidity/alkalinity and hospitality of the uterus to either male or female spermatozoa. I don't understand how one's strength of character can influence that, but it is possible that stronger willed women carry more of certain hormones, which ultimately influence the gender selection of spermatozoa. Likewise, men with strong character may produce stronger, more resistant Y swimmers, which increase their chance of reaching the goal safely. If both hypothesis are true, then both the father and mother's character may play a role in determining the gender of their offspring.

Since common Y-DNA haplogroups are more successful at producing male babies (hence the fact that these haplogroups have become more common, by natural selection), it would make sense to assume that common Y-DNA haplogroups are linked to stronger male character. The same would apply to mtDNA haplogroups and female strength of character.

I will take your theory into account because it's seems logical and I do like to keep an open mind to everyone's theories as long as it doesn't lead to discrimination against other human beings. I'm not accusing you or anyone else of that, of course . No disrespect.

The latest example of girls with strong personality having more daughters.
Gal Gadot, the actress of Wonder Woman. Her character doesn't doubt for a second to be tough.
In real life, she also seems very focus and unapologetically determined. She served in the military...
She just had her 3rd daughter.

Sexual selection could play a role, where males have higher attraction to females that are more likely to give birth to sons.

Psychologists say that adult behavior depends on family relationships.

Since I did analyse some church book records and other statistically relevant data on the issue, I think most of it boils down to numbers. Like there were people which got first 5 sons, then 5 girls. What about that? Most of the problem comes from small sample and family sizes. The more children a couple has, the more evenly distributed the sexes tend to be. There might be some trends, but these would make little sense considering that there are population level differences in this respect too and we clearly don't have whole people which have drastically skewed sex ratios. Any kind of influence of this sort, and they might exist, is very small in comparison to the total size and number effect. The more kids, the more even it gets, in most people.
I also do think that the date or having more sexual intercourse could be positively related to boys, because a male spermium has better chances in a specific period of the female cycle.

This thread has been viewed 40770 times.

Back