Etymologies

what about sumerian :D ? the word "temen" means foundation and it is very similar to albanian "themel" which mean foundation.

The greek word for foundation is "themelio" from ancient greek "themelios".

I wonder the word Σκωλοτοι (Skoloti) what it means and the root?

the Word is from Herodotus, a description for Scythians,
may I remind you that Makedonians call the Scythians of Persian king as Σκυδρα (Skudra)

Do you mean that Gheg Shkiά relates with Σκωλοτοι or Σκυδρα or scythian ?!

not exactly,

but i find it more possible than σκια (shadow) which is from ισκιος

I wonder the word Σκωλοτοι (Skoloti) what it means and the root?

the Word is from Herodotus, a description for Scythians,
may I remind you that Makedonians call the Scythians of Persian king as Σκυδρα (Skudra)
I'm unable to find any similar word with Σκωλοτοι. As for Σκυδρα, may be it cognates with Albanian skuthra which is the plural of skuth (insidious). There is another Albanian word, skutë "a place to be hiden in"; "a corner"(mostly a cave) and skutar (the man who stays in skute).

Last edited:
I'm unable to find any similar word with Σκωλοτοι. As for Σκυδρα, may be it cognates with Albanian skuthra which is the plural of skuth (insidious). There is another Albanian word, skutë "a place to be hiden in"; "a corner"(mostly a cave) and skutar (the man who stays in skute).

no I dont think so, the Δ is probably a shift of θ σκυδρα-σκυθες
I think the word you describe skuth might cognates with scary in English,

there is a demotic-common translation of ισκιος(shadow) but mostly with compound words like αλαφρο-ισκιοτος (light not heavy shadow, = ghost) cause Makedonian hat sκιαδιον surely did not mean ghost :LOL:
Although there is a virb in modern Greek Σκιαχτηκα (Past form, I got afraid) and noun like επι-σκιασις, -zω (I put my shadow on you, I hide the sun to you) but it is used as idiom of the games that a shadow can play, words like Σκιαχτρο but it is modern Greek,

but I would like taranis help about Σκωλοτοι and his knowledge of laws

does anybody know if there is any relation between PIE *kap(grab) and ProtoSemitic *kapp (hand)?

This thread has been viewed 19271 times.

Back