L.D.Brousse

Reaction score
Ethnic group
European
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1a2a1a1b5aSry2627
mtDNA haplogroup
T2b
I descend from The French Huguenot family of Jacques Brousse tanner merchant of Cognac.My question is what happened to them what was French policy on being Exiled did they forfeit land and all . His wife was Sara Cornu of .Taillebourg, He was exiled in 1680 and lived in London for 15 years before coming to America in 1700 I know all on my family in America but would like more info in France Tanks for any help

Last edited:
My 8th Great Grandfathers Marriage certificate from the Huguenot Church of London dated 1690

Attachments

• jacqusse brousse.jpg
    jacqusse brousse.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 11
I descend from The French Huguenot family of Jacques Brousse tanner merchant of Cognac.My question is what happened to them what was French policy on being Exiled did they forfeit land and all . His wife was Sara Cornu of .Taillebourg, He was exiled in 1680 and lived in London for 15 years before coming to America in 1700 I know all on my family in America but would like more info in France Tanks for any help

should you even bother looking through Huguenot files as this only refers to being a protestant. Should you not look at other avenues within france?

I don't speak French and most sites are in French. My main question was what the policy was in 1680 for the Exile of French citizens like did they have time to sell property and such. Or was it a run for your life type deal. My family was the rare middle class of Europe and could read and write. No doubt they had assets

I don't speak French and most sites are in French. My main question was what the policy was in 1680 for the Exile of French citizens like did they have time to sell property and such. Or was it a run for your life type deal. My family was the rare middle class of Europe and could read and write. No doubt they had assets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huguenot

IIRC from a decent tv documentary, they lost their possetions and the ones that went to England, usually got a trade as Silk Weavers.

All I know is that after the revocation of the Edit de Nantes in 1685, which granted religious freedom to all the subjects of the King of France, Huguenots were forced to convert or expelled. A sizeable contingent went to Prussia. At the end of that century, one fifth of the Berlin population were Huguenots.

My eighth Great Grandfathers Marriage license in the Huguenot Chapel based in london dated 1690

I am a descendent of Abraham Sallee who was a Huguenot. He arrived in New York (large Huguenot society still in existence) about 1700, then petitioned the Governor for denization in 1700. He relocated to another Huguenot area, Goochland (Mankintown), Virginia. There are many Huguenot records available on line.

Huguenots to England then America

Hello L.D. Brousse and others on this thread,

I hope you don't mind my responding to your answer to my private message on this thread. It is just the kind of thread I was looking for.

Our family story is that we were French and had to leave because of "political troubles". Story goes that we left a mansion (in the "old country") with two old maids in it and went to England for a time. Apparently some stayed and at least one Pigman male came to colonial Maryland. Others (Pigmans with an "s") were and are located in the area of Tilburg, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands.

In France and up through and including the U.S. 1940 census, we were most of the time Pigmon. Indeed in Correze and in Rhone-Alpes there are a few entries with this spelling Pigmon but in France the name changed to Pimond and then around 1800 to Pimont. The spelling in the earlier 1600 French records was Pigmon, Piemond and/or Pyemont.

The earliest records of my branch are in the Non-Conformist records in England in 1620's Hunstanton, Norfolk, England (spelled Piggeman and Piggman, and Pigman) and in Norwich, Norfolk, England. Just can't seem to find the records that apply to the parents of my ancestor John Pigman who is in Maryland in 1695 purchasing a plantation.

My wife and I finally figured out that to purchase land in America prior to independence you would have to be a British citizen. So we fit the same mold as the Huguenots mentioned on this thread. This and familysearch.org recently put up a bunch of Norfolk, England records that helped find my the general vicinity of my ancestors - Hunstanton and Norwich.

Now if I could just find a Pimont or Pimond in France to do the y-DNA test I would have someone to compare with!

Any suggestions to aid my quest? Help!

Curtis Pigman/Pigmon
(in France Pigmon, Pimond, Pimont, Pÿmond, Piémont, Piémond, etc.)
(in England Pigman, Piggman, Piggeman and Pyemont)
(in Holland Pigmans)

Last edited:
I think many Huguenots came from the very rare middle and noble class of France in 1690 both my 8th Great Grandparents could read and write. Peasants did not have many chances for an education in Europe. And unless you landlord was a Protestant you did not have that choice ether. I'm a Southern Baptist but will add the Huguenots were not hopeless they fought back and burned and killed right along with the Catholics. But in the end it came down to the numbers game being the minority we lost and for our faith gave up all we owned in France. In this day and age it's hard to think about Christians killing each other but I guess it still goes on in Ireland from time to time. I think today we both will have to combine our forces for a much worse enemy which I shall not mention .

Don't know if I can find the link but I read that several Huguenots (landed and/or noble) left France around 1620 and got out when they could. It would be extremely nice if there is a list with the names of our ancestors on it. I don't believe such a list exists.

As far as money goes, I have found a reference to an ancestor or the cousin of my ancestor who lost a watch and I believe this would be equal to someone losing a Rolex watch today. As follows:

Very interesting find from Norwich,Norfolk,England:

Norfolk Newspapers
Norfolk Chronicle
Extracts from August 9th 1783

Page 3, column 2
Lost, between Acle and Postwick Tollgate, on Wednesday the 10th of July, a Pinchbeck Watch, in a Shagreen Green Case, Maker's name William HOWARD, No.2358; had on when lost a handsome Steel Chain, a Steel Seal, with G. P. in a Cypher [sic], with a Violin engraved above the Letters, another small Cornelian Seal, with a Dove and an Olive Sprig in the Bill.
Whoever will bring the said Watch, or give Information to George PIGMAN, in St John's Maddermarket, Norwich, so as it may be had again, shall receive One Guinea Reward.

Does anyone know how much a Guinea would be worth in equivalent value today?

My 8th Great Grandfather Jacques Brousse was elected vestryman and went to plead for more help for Manikin town settlement he was naturalized in 1704 as James Brousse then Bruce The Actor Johnny Depp's family was also from the same 1700 group at Manikin town

My 8th Great Grandfather Jacques Brousse was elected vestryman and went to plead for more help for Manikin town settlement he was naturalized in 1704 as James Brousse then Bruce The Actor Johnny Depp's family was also from the same 1700 group at Manikin town

Where is Manikin - in France?

Johnny Depp - good ole' Kentucky boy like me.

Key events in huguenot history

Just to give us all a perspective of some of what happened:

From: http://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/1501-1600/huguenots-driven-out-of-france-11630022.html

KEY EVENTS IN HUGUENOT HISTORY
1533 John Calvin flees Paris, becomes pastor in Geneva in 1536 and maintains strong ties
and influence with French reform movement until his death in 1564
1550’s Calvinism comes to France, wins thousands of converts
1559 First Huguenot synod held, in Paris
1559 Attempt to replace the Catholic Guises with the Huguenot Condé as regent
1560 Huguenots petition the king and threaten revolt if persecution persists
1562 Massacre at Vassy begins the French religious wars
1562 Huguenots sign a manifesto saying they were forced to take arms
1565 Huguenot colony massacred at St. John, Florida by Pedro Mendendez
1572 Catherine de Medici orders an attempt to assassinate Huguenot leader Coligny
1572 St. Bartholomew's Day massacre kills as many as 100,000 Huguenots
1585 Huguenots and other Protestants are ordered expelled from France (most stay)
1593 Huguenot Henry IV converts to Catholicism to gain the throne
1598 Edict of Nantes promises protection to Huguenots
1685 Revocation of the Edict of Nantes leaves Huguenots defenseless; 400,000 flee​
THEIR LIVES a POWERFUL TESTIMONY

This thread has been viewed 14713 times.

Back