Politics 'Vichy France' PC branding/wording for: 'Nazi France'

Reaction score
'Vichy France' PC branding/wording for: 'Nazi France'

I feel somewhat fearful bringing this subject up on this website (above all amongst those here with a Francophone bent) but nevertheless I'm hopeful the more fearless posters here will show some backbone rather than running away from talking it over.

Whom here has ever wondered (whether sound or not) the grounds for officialdom showing an unwillingness to use the wording: 'Berlin Germany' rather than the ever burdening: 'Nazi Germany' to cast the ways of that WW2 government?

Therefore, what was and is the wisdom for using the wishy-washy and sweetened up authorized wording: 'Vichy France' instead of 'Nazi France' what would be the excuse out there for the cop-out 'Vichy France' happily holding sway over 'Nazi France' ?

The (rightwing) politically correct euphemism 'Vichy France' dose not spell out the nub of what WW2 France was like and how fascist that government was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vichy_France Is the PC branding 'Vichy France' another case of Western Europe sucking up to French sensibilities?

Seems the whitewashed wording 'Vichy France' only goes back to the 1970s - what was ever said before to describe that government of French Nazis? and how does 'Vichy France' fare in other European languages in meaningfulness? Is there more truthful wording instead of 'Vichy France' which acknowledges a nearer meaning to the blacklisted wording 'Nazi France' ?

Anyway, all this is very timely in aftermath of the everlasting French love-in with the far-right politics, where 1 in 5 French people have voted for the far-right French National Front. And this itself following on from French 'mainstream' politics IDing, rounding up and racially expelling 20'000 men women and children.

Actually, from a purely theoretical point of view, Nazi France would have been the north, the part of France conquered and ran by the Germans. Vichy was dubbed by then "La France Libre" (the free France). The question is still nowadays a bit embarrassing for French people. During my years in the south-west, I had the opportunity to read and browse a few books that seem to prove that the whole of France was in the Résistance, so I believe it's going to take another couple of generations for historians to come with unbiased accounts of these troubled years. Pétain's slogan "Work, Family, Homeland" has been turned into ridicule by General de Gaulle, who said that "Pétain never worked, had no children and gave the homeland to the Germans...". Even though Pétain was a hero of WWI, I think the French will never forgive him for shaking hands with Hitler.
As for the FN scores, I think people abroad need to know that apart from the die-hards who form the core of the FN electorate, many French voters chose the FN as a form of anti-Sarkozy protest, and also for the strong anti-Brussels stance of the party. In a philosophical sense, the FN is closer to the Dutch PVV than to the British BNP.

Actually, from a purely theoretical point of view, Nazi France would have been the north, the part of France conquered and ran by the Germans. Vichy was dubbed by then "La France Libre" (the free France). The question is still nowadays a bit embarrassing for French people. During my years in the south-west, I had the opportunity to read and browse a few books that seem to prove that the whole of France was in the Résistance, so I believe it's going to take another couple of generations for historians to come with unbiased accounts of these troubled years. Pétain's slogan "Work, Family, Homeland" has been turned into ridicule by General de Gaulle, who said that "Pétain never worked, had no children and gave the homeland to the Germans...". Even though Pétain was a hero of WWI, I think the French will never forgive him for shaking hands with Hitler.
As for the FN scores, I think people abroad need to know that apart from the die-hards who form the core of the FN electorate, many French voters chose the FN as a form of anti-Sarkozy protest, and also for the strong anti-Brussels stance of the party. In a philosophical sense, the FN is closer to the Dutch PVV than to the British BNP.

Still wondering what the forewording (in English and other languages) was for the wording: 'Vichy France' which seems only to of been dreamt up sometime in the 1970s. Reckon there is old newscuttings out there somewhere showing the wording: 'Nazi France' was indeed alive and kicking before being ditched for the more PC wording: 'Vichy France'

This thread has been viewed 7009 times.

Back