Why the vikings raided only in UK mainly and in France?

-what value have your ethymology putting in the same bag the celtic roots with *gor- and the germanic one *warm (*war-m?) - what is this "teutonic GWARM" ?!? the latin 'furn' with f- ??? latin F- corresponds more to PIE *BH- (B in celtic and germanic) and the previous PIE *W- gave for the most F- in present day gaelic languages and GW- in brittonic languages (sometimes GOU-) -
-whatever the possible IE community of all this words concerning the meanings of "hot", "warm", "oven", "burn"... --community that would be possible only if these words was loaned by one to the other after the first PIE separation -- I do not see what they prove? old IE roots can not link to precisely only two folks among all the European ancient populations
-
SORRY I correct myself (with great shame!)
for the "heat" meaning, yes *Gwh- TOO gave apparently W- in germanic, F- in latin and G- in satem languages - for celtic, I don't know, maybe G- (so: possible in gaelic) rather than W- (so F- in gaelic)
I know this confession doesn't give a "lift" to this thread

Nice find... that could explain some of the "more recent" I1 in Scotland.

My paternal line seems to have been from an area with some surrounding place names with "bie" in them. I know in Dumfriesshire, Scotland there is a place called "Lockerbie" which means "Lockard's Farm". There was Germanic influence in this area of Scotland, even the area of Galloway was originally part of a Gallgáedil kingdom (Foreign Gael).

My paternal line seems to have been from an area with some surrounding place names with "bie" in them. I know in Dumfriesshire, Scotland there is a place called "Lockerbie" which means "Lockard's Farm". There was Germanic influence in this area of Scotland, even the area of Galloway was originally part of a Gallgáedil kingdom (Foreign Gael).

To be more straightforward, these -bie/-by endings can straightforwardly be seen to be brought to southwest Scotland from England by both the Anglo-Norse and Anglo-Danes.

The Vikings are defeated in Andalusia

They came well to the very Sevilla on 25 September and this time were successful, managed to take the city with little resistance (although the citadel never surrender) and from there inland incursions began riding horses stolen. The booty was large.

The emir, quickly organized an army in Cordoba to expel the intruders, Rahman II, stunned in front of some warriors who within days had plundered three towns in its territory and moved at a speed unthinkable, managed to gather a large army and decided to ambush the Vikings south of Seville, in a place called "Quintos de Muafar". Keep in mind that the volume of the Viking expedition vessels used should be composed of a maximum of 1800 warriors which involved considerable force.

At dawn, when the troops departed from Seville Viking towards Moron Muslim troops waited for the signal agreed to pounce en masse to the invaders slaughtering many of them and getting to enter Seville to release it again. Several detachments Vikings had previously dispersed to other parts of Andalusia to continue their looting raids, those who escaped alive from Sevilla decided to return to their ships and keep going up the Guadalquivir in the hope of finding some of the troops had led to Cordoba, finally got back together again and downstream from both sides constantly harassed by Muslims.

Once left behind Sevilla, parleyed with Muslims and agreed to return all the prisoners they had made to change clothes and food to allow them to continue their journey. They also asked the Caliph of Cordoba sent an emissary as his ambassador to the king.

But near the present Tablada, were eventually caught by the bulk of the Muslim army, the battle was bloody and killed many men, it speaks more than 500 men and four boats. The punishment for those arrested was exemplary and many ended up hanging from the palms of Tablada.

But not everyone fell, those who escaped the slaughter achieved retaliate Fog City raiding and plundering before returning to the Atlantic. Thus ended the first Viking raids on the Peninsula, but did not forget those "blamenn" (black men), as they called the Saracens as talk of all the riches they had seen, which would lead to future expeditions.

It's the movie that Hollywood will never

Carlos, thats a great post, probably the most interesting ,informative posts ive read on this site, wish i could give two helpful ratings. Is this a traditional story, thats told in your region of Spain, or did you read it somewhere?

Carlos, thats a great post, probably the most interesting ,informative posts ive read on this site, wish i could give two helpful ratings. Is this a traditional story, thats told in your region of Spain, or did you read it somewhere?

Thanks. It is historic, there is no oral tradition about it, no. It is historical documentation.

In Al-Andalus, Arab chroniclers collect the attacks of the Vikings who attacked Cádiz and sailed up the Guadalquivir river, and then attack Sevilla.

The Vikings are defeated in Andalusia

They came well to the very Sevilla on 25 September and this time were successful, managed to take the city with little resistance (although the citadel never surrender) and from there inland incursions began riding horses stolen. The booty was large.

The emir, quickly organized an army in Cordoba to expel the intruders, Rahman II, stunned in front of some warriors who within days had plundered three towns in its territory and moved at a speed unthinkable, managed to gather a large army and decided to ambush the Vikings south of Seville, in a place called "Quintos de Muafar". Keep in mind that the volume of the Viking expedition vessels used should be composed of a maximum of 1800 warriors which involved considerable force.

At dawn, when the troops departed from Seville Viking towards Moron Muslim troops waited for the signal agreed to pounce en masse to the invaders slaughtering many of them and getting to enter Seville to release it again. Several detachments Vikings had previously dispersed to other parts of Andalusia to continue their looting raids, those who escaped alive from Sevilla decided to return to their ships and keep going up the Guadalquivir in the hope of finding some of the troops had led to Cordoba, finally got back together again and downstream from both sides constantly harassed by Muslims.

Once left behind Sevilla, parleyed with Muslims and agreed to return all the prisoners they had made to change clothes and food to allow them to continue their journey. They also asked the Caliph of Cordoba sent an emissary as his ambassador to the king.

But near the present Tablada, were eventually caught by the bulk of the Muslim army, the battle was bloody and killed many men, it speaks more than 500 men and four boats. The punishment for those arrested was exemplary and many ended up hanging from the palms of Tablada.

But not everyone fell, those who escaped the slaughter achieved retaliate Fog City raiding and plundering before returning to the Atlantic. Thus ended the first Viking raids on the Peninsula, but did not forget those "blamenn" (black men), as they called the Saracens as talk of all the riches they had seen, which would lead to future expeditions.

It's the movie that Hollywood will never

Very informative account!

Gracias Nobody1

This thread has been viewed 34212 times.

Back