Here is my current tally of famous I2 carriers:
Famous Politicians & Historical Figures
Name___________ Subclade More info Ethan Allen I2-M223 Y6098+ Y6099+ A Vermont militia general, politician, and writer famous for helping to found the state of Vermont, and for capturing Fort Ticonderoga during the American Revolutionary War. His brother Ira Allen, founder of the University of Vermont, also presumably carried I2. A direct descendant of his brother Hemen and other descendants of his immigrant ancestor have tested as the I2-M223 outlier clade I2-Y6099 at the Allan/Allen/Allin Project. Nicholas Biddle I2-L38 The President of the Second Bank of the United States. Coming from the prominent Biddle family, some of his relatives also likely to have carried I2 include millionaire Anthony Joseph Drexel Biddle, General John Biddle, and cinematographer John Biddle. His family has tested at BiddleEtc. Davy Crockett I2-M223-Cont2a Z76+ CTS6433+ An American frontiersman, folk hero, and congressman from Tennessee. The Crockett Families DNA Project has tested his family, including a direct descendant of his father John Crockett. Miklós Horthy I2a-Din-N L147.2+ Regent of Hungary through most of World War II. A cousin of his has tested, per Vadim Verenich and others at MolGen (in Russian). Andrew Johnson I2-M223-Cont Z76+ L1317+ The 17th President of the United Sates, who had been Abraham Lincoln's 2nd Vice President until Lincoln's assassination. The Johnson/Johnston/Johnstone DNA Surname Project has him listed as I2, and the I-M223 Project has his family's haplogroup categorized. Enda Kenny I2-M223 CTS616+ Taoiseach of Ireland and leader of Fine Gael. He tested personally in 2013, and Spencer Wells further clarified that his subclade is I2-M223 CTS616+ at the Genetic Genealogy Ireland 2014 Conference, although he hasn't yet been specified more. Huey Long I2-L38 A Louisiana politician famous for his left-wing populism and his motto, "Every Man a King," who was assassinated in 1935. His family has tested at the Long Surname DNA Project. Martin Luther I2a-Din-N L147.2+ The most famous Protestant reformer. Several suspected relatives, including one genealogically traceable 1st cousin 13 times removed, have tested as I2a-Din-N at the Luther Surname DNA Project and on ySearch (see especially ySearch ID: YTE6E). Matt Mead I2a-Western L233+ Governor of Wyoming. He, as well as his distant relative, Vermont Governor John A. Mead, have relatives who tested and matched at the Mead Surname DNA Project. Živojin Mišić I2a-Din-S L147.2+ A Serbian vojvoda noted for his military successes in World War I and other wars. Sinisa Jerkovic at Poreklo (in Serbian) provides the haplotype of his cousins, as well as an argument in favor of his relationship to the Božović family and his descent from a 15th century Serbian warrior named Captain Gojko. Napoleon III I2-M223-Cont2 Z76+ CTS6433+ The first President of France and its last monarch, who held the title Emperor of the French. Although legally the nephew and heir of Napoleon Bonaparte, both descendant testing and direct testing by researcher Gerard Lucotte have proven the two to be unrelated paternally. The STRs of a descendant are predicted to be I2-M223. Myles Standish I2-L38 A Mayflower passenger, signer of the Mayflower Compact, and military leader for the Plymouth Colony. The Mayflower DNA Project has tested descendants of his. Noe Zhordania I2c L596+ PF3827+ The Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of Georgia through most of its existence, as well as the head of the DRG's government in exile from 1921 to 1953. A descendant tested as I2c. This sample is available at ySearch ID: DUPCV.
Other Notable Politicians & Historical Figures
- Rollo Gillespie, a Major-General in the British army famous for the Battle of Nalapani in the Anglo-Nepalese War. According to the Gillespie DNA Project admin, relatives have tested as I2-M223-Isles-Sc L126+.
- Henry Luce, an American magazine publisher responsible for launching Time, Life, Fortune, and Sports Illustrated. His notable relatives who also carried I2 include Henry W. Luce, Moses A. Luce, and Robert Luce. The Luce Surname DNA Project has the Luce haplogroup as I2-M223-Isles-P M284+.
- Taymuraz Mamsurov, the President of the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania. The Ossetian DNA Project has the Mamsurov haplotype as I2c L596+ PF3827+.
- Bernardo Miera y Pacheco, a cartographer and artist who joined the Dominguez-Escalante Expedition through New Mexico. The I2a Project has a descendant's haplogroup as I2a-M26 L672+ L160+ Z118+ Z106+.
- Charles Polk, Jr., a 19th century Governor of Delaware. The Polk-Pollock DNA Project has his haplotype as I2-M223-Cont1 L1198+. Although once thought to be related to James K. Polk, this connection has been disproven by data from the same DNA project.
- Henry Samson, a Mayflower passenger. The Mayflower DNA Project has his haplotype as I2-M223-Cont2a Z76+.
- David S. Terry, Chief Justice of California famous for the Broderick–Terry duel, and his brother Benjamin Franklin Terry, a Confederate colonel famous for commanding Terry's Texas Rangers. The Terry DNA Project has a tracable relative who tested as I2a-Western L233+, and who directly matches a relative of Luther Terry and a lot of other people named Terry.
- Luther Terry, Surgeon General of the United States appointed by John F. Kennedy, famous for associating smoking with lung cancer. The Terry DNA Project has a tracable relative who tested as I2a-Western L233+, and who directly matches a relative of David S. Terry and a lot of other people named Terry.
- William A. A. "Bigfoot" Wallace, one of the most famous of the Texas Rangers. The I2b L415 I2c L596 Haplogroup Project has his family's haplotype as I2c L596+ PF3892+.
- Algernon Edward West, Principal Private Secretary to British Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone. A famous relative of his also likely to have carried I2 is his great-grandfather, Vice-Admiral Temple West. A direct descendant tested as I2-M223, predicted to be I2-M223-Cont3 P78+, at the West Surname DNA Project.
- Oliver Winchester, an arms manufacturer and the namesake of the Winchester rifle. The Winchester Family DNA Project has his family branch's haplogroup as I2a-Isles-B L161+, or I2a1b2 in current ISOGG nomenclature.
Famous Artists & Athletes
Name___________ Subclade More info Eddie Izzard I2-M223-Roots Z2054+ An English comedian and actor. A BBC documentary series he starred in, Meet the Izzards, stated that he tested as I2, and has matches named Frerichs and Speer. Stephen King I2-M223-Cont1 L1198+ The famous American author. His ancestral surname is Pollock, and descendants of his immigrant ancestor have tested at the Polk-Pollock DNA Project, where they are a fairly close match to the family of Charles Polk, Jr. (see above). Jack Nance I2a-Isles-B1 L161+ An American actor famous for his role in Eraserhead and other films. Relatives of his have tested at the Nance DNA Project. Chuck Norris I2-M223-Cont1 L1198+ An American martial artist and actor famous for his roles in Way of the Dragon and Walker, Texas Ranger. Descendants of his immigrant ancestor have tested at the Norris DNA Project.
Other Notable Artists & Athletes
- Alexey Buldakov, a Russian actor. Per Vadim Verenich, he tested personally as I2a-Din-N.
- J. Gordon Coogler, a South Carolina poet famous for H. L. Mencken's ridicule of him. The I2a Project has a relative of his who tested as I2a-Din-N.
- Andrey Makarevich, a Russian rock musician who leads Mashina Vremeni. Per Vadim Verenich, he tested personally as I2a-Din-N.
- Rich Mullins, a contemporary Christian musician famous for the song "Awesome God." The Mullins Surname Y-DNA Project has his family's haplogroup as I2a-Isles-A L161+.
- Cody Parkey, an American football placekicker. A close relative tested as I2c L596+ PF3892+ at Ancestry back when they performed Y-DNA tests.
- Akim Salbiev, an ethnic Ossetian who is an honorary artist of Russia, film director, and actor. The I2b L415 I2c L596 Haplogroup Project has the Salbiev haplotype as I2c L596+ PF3827+.
- Yegor Titov, a Russian association footballer. Per Vadim Verenich, he tested personally as I2a-Din-N.
Famous Noble Families
Family___________ Subclade More info Clinton I2-M223-Isles-P M284+ This Clinton line includes the Earls of Lincoln and most of the Dukes of Newcastle, along with Sir Henry Clinton, the British Commander-in-Chief in America during much of the American Revolutionary War. Other notable Clintons include Edward Clinton, 1st Earl of Lincoln, Henry Pelham-Clinton, 2nd Duke of Newcastle, and Henry Pelham-Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle. A direct descendant of Sir Henry Clinton tested as I2-M223, and clusters with the uncommon "Isles-P" group alongside the Luce family. This sample is available at ySearch ID: C9X5J. Douglas-Hamilton I2-M223-Isles-E L1193+ This line includes the Dukes of Hamilton and Earls of Selkirk. Their most famous representative is perhaps Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 14th Duke of Hamilton, a Scottish nobleman famous for becoming the chief pilot of the first flight over Mount Everest, as well as for his later involvement with Rudolf Hess. Some other famous Douglas-Hamiltons include mummification and art enthusiast Alexander Hamilton, 10th Duke of Hamilton and the politically influential James Hamilton, 4th Duke of Hamilton. Furthermore, the family claims descent from the Earls of Angus, although some competing claimants have tested differently. A relative of this family tested at the Hamilton Surname DNA Project. Hasan-Jalalyan I2c L596+ PF3827+ An Armenian melik dynasty, founded by Hasan-Jalal Dawla, whose members ruled the Principality of Khachen beginning in 1214, and who provided the patronage for the building of the Gandzasar monastery. Four autosomally distant descendants tested as I2c L596+ PF3827+ at the I2b L415 I2c L596 Haplogroup Project.
Other Notable Noble Families
- Basset, a British family with connections to Wales and Cornwall that included Francis Basset, 1st Baron de Dunstanville and Basset, tested as I2-L38 according to the Bassett Family Association.
- Czetwertyński, a Polish princely family. Their most famous representative is Antoni Stanisław Czetwertyński-Światopełk, a Polish szlachcic who was executed during the Warsaw Uprising of 1794. The Rurikid Dynasty DNA Project has his haplotype as I2a-Din-N.
- Donauri, a Georgian noble family. A member tested as I2c L596+ PF3827+ and posted their results at the I2b L415 I2c L596 Haplogroup Project. Some notable past representatives have included Samuel of Kakheti, Gabriel of Kakheti, and St Hilarion the Georgian, although all lived too long ago to count them as I2 with any certainty.
- Tsitsishvili, a Georgian noble family, whose members have included Pavel Tsitsianov, a governor-general famous for his military actions in modern Azerbaijan, and medic prince Zaza Panaskerteli-Tsitsishvili. The I2b L415 I2c L596 Haplogroup Project has the Tsitsishvili haplotype as I2c-B L596+ PF3827+.
Famous Scientists & Academics
Name___________ Subclade More info Nikola Tesla I2a-Din-S L147.2+ A Serbian-American scientist most famous for his work on alternating current, the induction motor, the Tesla coil, etc. The Serbian DNA Project at Poreklo (in Serbian) has tested a Tesla from the same village as Nikola's father, who is very likely from the same Tesla line.
Other Notable Scientists & Academics
- Thomas Mudge, an English horologist famous for inventing the lever escapement. His Mudge family also included telescope scientist and physician John Mudge, surveyor William Mudge, Vancouver Expedition officer Zachary Mudge, and clergyman Zachariah Mudge. A direct descendent of his father tested as I2-M223-Cont1 Z78+ at the Madge DNA Project.
- Gregory Petsko, an influential American biochemist. He claims to have tested I2 without specifying a subclade; since he is patrilineally a Cossack, he is most likely I2a-Din-N.
- Anthony L. Turkevich, a Russian-American radiochemist famous for determining the composition of the Moon's surface. His father, Leonty Turkevich, was also notable as the Metropolitan of the Russian Orthodox Church in North America. The RussiaDNA Project shows Anthony's son to have tested as I2a-Din-N.
- Francis Amasa Walker, an economist, MIT President, and American Civil War officer. Famous Walker relatives also likely to have carried I2 include his father Amasa Walker and his distant cousins James Walker and Sears Cook Walker. Descendants of Capt. Samuel Walker has the Walker family haplogroup as I2-M223-Cont2a Z76+ CTS6433+.
- John Howard Yoder, an influential Mennonite theologian and author of The Politics of Jesus. His relative, Amish author Joseph Yoder, has also been shown to have been I2. The Yoder DNA Project has their haplogroup as I2-M223-Cont1 L1198+.
Here is a subclade tree of the famous and notable people I've found (note that Enda Kenny is not included due to a lack of precision):
And here's a collage of some of the above:
My research has also found several other interesting possibilities, which have not yet been proven entirely, but are worth exploring, including:
- According to Armenian historian Hovann Simonian (see 58:00 onward here), the rulers of the Armenian and Georgian Bagratid dynasties carried I2c L596+ PF3827+.
- A Hamlin family member whose ancestors are recorded in some family trees to be related to Hannibal Hamlin, Abraham Lincoln's first Vice President, has tested as I2-M223-Cont2a at the I-M223 Project. However, other, possibly more likely suspected relatives have tested Haplogroup R.
- In his 2012 book Old World Roots of the Cherokee, author Donald N. Yates revealed that scientists have directly tested blood believed to be from Elvis Presley. He further revealed that it tested as Haplogroup I, and matches with other men named Wallace in Y-DNA databases, which helps confirm the sample because Wallace is believed to be Elvis' ancestral surname. Although the subclade was not published, it's reasonable to guess that Elvis carried I2c L596+ PF3892+, which is the most common Haplogroup I subclade carried by American men named Wallace.
- Suspected, but not 100% proven, relatives of Fausto Veranzio have tested as I2a-Din.
- The family of Algernon Edward West and Temple West, above, claim descent from the early Barons West, and hence claim a relationship to Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr. However, they have conflicted with other claimants.