Help in defining my R1b haplogroup

Thanks sparkey, anyway of predicting which one? I only ask since I would like to be able to tell my family something in christmas.
In case you are still celebrating Christmas -- the R1b and Subclades haplogroup project at FTDNA has very recently been reshuffled in such a way that it's much easier to spot your matches, or near-matches, from their STR results -- and deduce your terminal SNP, or at least the one that would be the best bet for you to test next. Visit the project Results at this url (join it, if you have FTDNA test results) and reset the "page size" to display 2000 examples. That will be a large file, and might take a while to load. The people who match you most closely will probably have a SNP or three in common with you, more specific than P312.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/atlantic-r1b1c/default.aspx?vgroup=atlantic-r1b1c§ion=ycolorized

My ftdna results finally came through. I am p312 with evevything else negative making me r1b1a2a1a1b. I apperticate any information such as who and what kinda people carried the gene, what region is the haplogroup from and where can you find the highest %?

I read that p312 have a high % in France and Spain is this true? I ask because evidence might point to my family having origins in either country or both due to my last name being found in both and my appearance (I get often mistaken for being French when I am in mexico even by real French people) so I hope all this adds up somehow :grin:

any info on p312?

I was hoping to get some info if the carriers of this haplogroup, could they be Celtic Gauls or Iberian Celts?

Hello everyone, I am R1b1a2a1a1b* p312/s116 and am going to order to test the z196 snp. I just wanted to know if I come positive for z196 would that hint to a Iberian origin? I want to really narrow down the large p312 cluster into a specific area and been given some snps by ftdna Z209, Z220, Z216, Z278, Z214 and M153. I know M153 is Basque origin but what about the other Z snps? Is it possible to separate them into Portuguese, Spanish or French and pin point what region my first ancestor came from?

Hello everybody! I recently checked out 23andme's new features and will post my results. My haplogroup is P312* and I hope y'all be able to help me make sense of the data and how it ties to my ancestry.

(This is using 23's standard estimate feature)

87.9%

European

Southern European

20.0%

Iberian

0.7%

Italian

22.6%

Nonspecific Southern European

Northern European

1.2%

British and Irish

7.7%

Nonspecific Northern European

1.5%

Ashkenazi

34.3%

Nonspecific European

7.1%

East Asian & Native American

5.3%

Native American

1.8%

Nonspecific East Asian & Native American

0.1%

Sub-Saharan African

4.8%

Unassigned

My twin brother got a 0.3% for French and German while I got none. Our numbers change between the two and I know it must be the test itself but does that mean the % is simply misinforming and best taken with a grain of salt or is completely untrue? Is 1.5% enough to be considered Ashkenazi? I been told I should test for M153 to see if I'm Basque, given the data do you think it's a likely probability?

Well I love to hear your theories soon so post ASAP! :D

Last edited:
Is there anyway to find out what Native American tribe I might be carrying? Heard that Native American SNPs don't really test well for some reason.

Got my results from Dr. McDonald!

Most likely fit is 90.0% (+- 0.6%) Europe (all Western Europe)

and 10.0% (+- 0.6%) America (various subcontinents)

The following are possible population sets and their fractions,

most likely at the top

Spain= 0.890 Na-Dene= 0.110 or

Spain= 0.902 Maya= 0.098 or

Spain= 0.903 Pima= 0.097 or

Spain= 0.904 Columbian= 0.096

a better fit is

Spain 0.8393 Egyptian 0.0639 Maya 0.0967 or

Spain 0.8547 Moroccan 0.0478 Maya 0.0975 or

Spain 0.8975 Maya 0.0715 Na-Dene 0.0310

which is very very typical Latin American. It’s likely

not actual Egyptian, of course! PRobably the second line of three.

My question is what is the more likelihood of my Native American blood, is it Mayan or Na-Dene?

What kind of results do you get on Gedmatch?

What kind of results do you get on Gedmatch?

my MDLP

what is GBRARG...........great britain arglye?

#PopulationPercent
1Altaic_Turkic0.00
2South_Central_Asian3.89
3Paleo_North_European0.21
4Paleo_Mediterranean29.83
5Iberian12.03
6Caucasian14.39
7East_European14.70
8Paleo_Balkanic2.51
9British20.98
10Volga_Finnic1.47

Pct. Calc. Option 2

1NITAL47.10%
2NRUS14.05%
3LTH7.42%
4CITAL6.89%
5SPN6.07%
6GBRARG5.20%
7GYP4.67%
8IBR4.54%
9ARM2.96%
10KSV1.08%

Total RMSD: 1.411675

Yes, Great Britain - Argyle.

EUtest on gedmatch seems very informative as well.

Thanks for the link Kardu! I found a GEDmatch section for 23andme members and I'm a little lost as I think the directions are a bit dated. This is taken from their website:

1. Log in to your 23andMe account.
2. Click on your name near the upper right corner of the page.
3. Click on "Ancestry Labs" in the column on the left side.
4. On the Ancestry Labs page, click on the blue "Ancestry Finder" heading in the 2nd paragraph.
5. Near the bottom of the Ancestry Finder page, click on 'Download (your name) Ancestry Finder matches(CSV)'.
6. A box will open on your screen. Make note of the file name. It will probably consist of your name, 'Ancestry_Finder', the date as YYYYMMDD, followed by '.csv'
7. Make sure 'Save File' is selected, then click on 'Save'.
8. Make sure you notice where the file is saved.
9. On the form below, fill in the information, and click on 'Browse' to find the file you just saved.
10. Click on the 'Submit' button.

Are they simply asking for my raw data correct?

Yes you would need to upload raw data but:

Autosomal raw DNA NOTICE: Due to the current processing backlog, we are temporarily suspending DNA uploads. We expect to start accepting new uploads on about August 15.

Thanks again for the help Kardu! Is GEDmatch worth it? I don't mind the wait though I would like to know what info I'll be getting back, such as is this GEDmatching my grandparents' DNA from both my haplogroups or something else entirely?

Since my bday is coming up soon, I would like to know what I should ask for from FTdna. Should I test for different SNPs from DF27 down (as I tested negative for the other p312 branches and do have a strong family tie to Spain) or should I order a 25 marker test? I would like to know what these different tests will reveal compared to each other, a list of pros and cons will help greatly.

Thanks again for the help Kardu! Is GEDmatch worth it? I don't mind the wait though I would like to know what info I'll be getting back, such as is this GEDmatching my grandparents' DNA from both my haplogroups or something else entirely?

Gedmatch is certainly worth it. It's full of free handy ancestry tools.

Since my bday is coming up soon, I would like to know what I should ask for from FTdna. Should I test for different SNPs from DF27 down (as I tested negative for the other p312 branches and do have a strong family tie to Spain) or should I order a 25 marker test? I would like to know what these different tests will reveal compared to each other, a list of pros and cons will help greatly.
I would go for more markers and Happy Birthday in advance! :)

i think just do as many markers as possible

You are P312+, though, right? If so, with the Iberian connection, odds are high you will be DF27+. However, you need to get your Y STRs anyway, as has been brought up. In my opinion, a minimum of 67 are needed but we know have 2000 L21+ 111 STR haplotypes now so that is growing.

If you have at least 67, I can compare you with other R1b people and we can see what they are positive for SNP-wise. Otherwise, we are hunting for an SNP by rifle shot but we are not sure which one we are hunting for. The other option is Geno 2, more like a shotgun/hand grenade, but eventually you'll still want 67 Y STRs anyway.

This thread has been viewed 71643 times.

Back