Your opinion of italians

On italian looks

• Total voters
This conversation is going nowhere. Italian Americans are not authorities on what Italians look like. When my husband came with me to my father's ancestral village he said all my relatives looked either Irish or German. I almost punched him. Somebody who is Calabrese and Campanian is not allowed to define who looks "Italian" based on his own area. Heck, his statement didn't even make any sense based on his own family. His full sister is blonde and blue eyed, as was his Campanian grandmother, and his Calabrese grandfather!

Well, in this case he was partly trying to set me off. He succeeded.

As for James Caan, I think he looked very Italian when he was younger, reminded me of my father, in fact, as the coloring is similar, and the body build. His son looks Italian too, and plays them convincingly. Marlon Brando isn't all that bad either.

See what I mean? You're picking out the ones who didn't bother me at all.

Yes I agree especially about James Caan he looks exactly like my dads friend, sorry if there was any confusion, I just want to say for us Italian-Canadians/Americans we feel cheated when Italians from Italy say were not Italian (at least I do), because we are very proud of roots and being Italian means everything to us, I live in Quebec the main language here is French and the Quebecois are extremely racist towards us so there is always animosity, we even go to English schools to avoid being associated with their culture and them in general. They don't consider us Canadian and Italians dont consider us Italian so then what are we? I know my opinion towards Italian looks and similarities is very different from the norm usually get into arguements with some people, but I want to add this is based on my experiences and observations, which doesnt mean it is the absolute truth, just what I noticed.

I'm sorry, but all of that sounds very weird. One of my best clients is Sicilian American and his wife is French Canadian, and I never heard of anything like that.

You sound like Sikelliot with his dramas about being abused in Massachusetts because he was so "dark".

It's bunk, pure and simple...a total fantasy. Massachusetts is not different from upstate New York or Pennsylvania or on and on. No one could look more Mediterranean than my husband, and he was the most popular kid in his high school....President of the Student Council, President of each class in high school, Captain of the football team, King of the Prom, you name it. Nobody ever gave him an ounce of grief. If anything he got way more than his fair share of feminine attention.

As for how he identifies, yes, he's proud of his Italian ancestry, but he's an American, first and foremost. That's as it should be. If you're going to move to another country, and get all the benefits of citizenship, you should assimilate. It's more complicated for me, but that's another story.

I don't believe Canada is so different. They're very tolerant people.

Angela, Canada is very tolerant, Quebec is the only racist part, Italians in Toronto are quasi-assimilated, I see it differently I am Italian first and Canadian second.

Sorry, there's no point in continuing; you're not convincing me at all. I've never met an Italian-North American from either country, or even heard of one who identified with Italians over Americans, and I've met thousands of them.

You can say whatever you want, I associate Italian first and if you havent come to Montreal and go to St Leo everyone there thinks and acts the same way as I do.

You can say whatever you want, I associate Italian first and if you havent come to Montreal and go to St Leo everyone there thinks and acts the same way as I do.

Watching this all go down, sounds like it depends on your location in North America. There is one town in Washington that nicknames their community "Little Norway" due to all the immigrants that came to Polsbo. And becides, without Italian Culture in North America the idea of Pizza wouldn't of been big over here. ;)

http://www.visitkitsap.com/poulsbo
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulsbo,_Washington

Thanks Twilight, and true dont forget Pasta as well ;)

You're welcome :)

I am beyond tired of Americans and/or Canadians telling me that they know what Italians look like and whom they resemble based on what some Italian Americans or Italian Canadians from the south they happen to have come into contact with look like, or based on one vacation there, or even worse on some Mafia movie where they deliberately are looking for "odd" looking people. Italians still living full time in Italy post here, I was born there and spent my childhood there and am there numerous times a year. We know what Italians look like; you don't. End of story.

Where do you people get off? I wouldn't go to Great Britain and tell them what Scots look like compared to the Welsh or to people from Brittany.

Plus, excuse me, but people tell me they're "Italian" all the time once they hear my surname. Sometimes it's correct, and sometimes it's nonsense. I mean, I think it's nice that some half Italian, half something else person so identifies with their Italian side, but they're not Italian.

It gets even worse. A recent example was the painter who came to my house. The owner of the company told me he was half Italian. He wasn't, as I soon discovered when I started to talk to him about it. He was half Hispanic. I guess he thought half Italian sounded better.

Plus, pardon me, but Italian-Americans, including my husband and his whole family, are not "Italian". If you don't understand the language, or know the history and the culture, you're not Italian.

Don't forget Mario and Luigi ;)
In all seriousness, perhaps your husband was meaning racial classifications? Celt's and Germanic tribes have made their appearances in Italy, but looking cello-Germanic racially doesn't make you any less Itallian.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisalpine_Gaul
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandal_Kingdom
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_the_Lombards

I have been to Italy and Spain,their most common anthropological type
is Dinaric(it can also be expanded to Portugal,including Madeira's
Cristiano Ronaldo) ,the Italians have also an important Alpine strain.
In fact, the Dinaric type is consistently present in Ireland,not to mention France,England or
Germany.

Federico Piovaccari

federico-piovaccari_m95bmsheod4y1wsbwpkhttihb.jpg

Portuguese football coach Tony Conceicao

576e5a0d95f9cff3158e4c11.jpg

EDIT:

I would say that my stance is a more or less vocal nationalism of Balkanic type,it may look
old-fashioned("you're not good enough"),but I don't intend to upgrade it,for instance, to a
pragmatic,even sometimes, "decent",extremism,inspired from Nazism,Stalinism-Bolshevism or Cold War.

Nevertheless,this post is meant to be objective.

Plus, pardon me, but Italian-Americans, including my husband and his whole family, are not "Italian". If you don't understand the language, or know the history and the culture, you're not Italian.

That was to harsh.

Angela and Azzurro are both right from their perspective.

Angela:
We are not living in early 20th centuries. I found your nationalistic though too stick.

There are millions of people who lived in abroad, who have dual-citizenship, who try to not lost their identity.

Even myself, my grand father, my father, my brother and me; we were born in different cities. Where is my hometown? That is a kind of tragedy. His tragedy is bigger. :unhappy:

But I agree you, the price of being Italian is high so people even not related can say I am Italian.

Azzuro:
Angela is also right about being Italian and having Italian ancester are different things.

If I am right, you are in the middle of being Italian and being American.

As Cesare did, you can mention about your ancester in Troy but he is Roman, not Trojan :heart:

Yes I agree especially about James Caan he looks exactly like my dads friend, sorry if there was any confusion, I just want to say for us Italian-Canadians/Americans we feel cheated when Italians from Italy say were not Italian (at least I do), because we are very proud of roots and being Italian means everything to us, I live in Quebec the main language here is French and the Quebecois are extremely racist towards us so there is always animosity, we even go to English schools to avoid being associated with their culture and them in general. They don't consider us Canadian and Italians dont consider us Italian so then what are we? I know my opinion towards Italian looks and similarities is very different from the norm usually get into arguements with some people, but I want to add this is based on my experiences and observations, which doesnt mean it is the absolute truth, just what I noticed.
French don't consider French-Canadians as true French as well. I don't understand why people from diasporas don't accept what they are: new worlders.

That was to harsh.

Angela and Azzurro are both right from their perspective.

Angela:
We are not living in early 20th centuries. I found your nationalistic though too stick.

There are millions of people who lived in abroad, who have dual-citizenship, who try to not lost their identity.

Even myself, my grand father, my father, my brother and me; we were born in different cities. Where is my hometown? That is a kind of tragedy. His tragedy is bigger. :unhappy:

But I agree you, the price of being Italian is high so people even not related can say I am Italian.

Azzuro:
Angela is also right about being Italian and having Italian ancester are different things.

If I am right, you are in the middle of being Italian and being American.

As Cesare did, you can mention about your ancester in Troy but he is Roman, not Trojan :heart:

Boreas, yes and thank you, but its not an ancestor it was all my grandparents, we speak only in Italian to them (they can barely speak French, no English at all), still have second cousins living there which were pretty close we speak every couple months, I just spent an entire month there I have been several times, and at the same time yes there is a difference to the Italians in Italy but its not a complete difference, I find we are still relatable culturally, so I guess your right when your saying its like I am half way in between being Italian and being Canadianized.

I also got my Italian citizenship 2 years ago and passport, also receieved the voting card in the mail.

Last edited:
Certo ;) lol

Sei testa dura pero Pax.

Boreas,
We're in the same boat. I was born in one country, but spend most of my time in another one, although that will change when I get older. I hold dual citizenship. Sometimes, I'm not quite sure where I "fit". When I'm in Italy I sometimes feel very American. Here, after all this time, I still feel very Italian. If I were a young man and for some reason there was a conflict between Italy and the U.S. I would be very torn.

It's totally different for second and third generation Italian-Americans like my husband and all the Italian-Americans I know. When I met him he spoke not one word of Italian, had never been there, and everything he knew of its culture and history he learned in a few classes in general European history in high school. Even what was cooked in his home was strange, and I don't mean only because it was southern Italian cooking. The Neapolitan cooking his grandmother had taught his mother had changed because of the lack of availability of certain ingredients and even the changing tastes of her children. There's no question where his loyalties lie in terms of serving his country. His "country" is the U.S. The same is true of my own children. That doesn't mean that he isn't extraordinarily proud of his ancestry, because he is. Of course, if people here in the U.S. ask him, "What are you?", he's going to say "Italian". This is a kind of exchange that is quite common here. The American is a given. He's not conflicted about any of this; he's very comfortable in his own skin, as are his relatives. It just adds richness to his life. I'm the only conflicted one.

The ties get looser and looser with intermarriage. The rates are extraordinarily high for Italian Americans. Not one of his cousins married someone of Italian ancestry. A few in my family did, but I have 34 first cousins, so that just goes with the odds. Yes, my "half" Italian relatives still primarily identify as "Italian-Americans". They still cook and eat Italian to some extent, come to family reunions every year and play bocce, a few know a bit of the language, but that's because their "Italian" parent came to America pretty recently. Pretty soon, "full" Italian-Americans are going to be as rare as unicorns.

I'll go on record: I don't believe there's an Italian-Canadian or Italian-American anywhere, second or third generation, without a word of Italian, who would say I'm not Canadian or American, I'm Italian. Not unless he has a mental disorder.

Anyone who says such a thing is probably a fake, as are some of these results. First they're Nat Geo results whom staff say are average for southern Italians. When the name of the staff person is requested, all of a sudden the "proof" is someone running a project at FTDNA, someone whose only knowledge of the ancestry of the project members is what they tell him. Then, we have two posters here, Patrizio and Azzuro, who have very similar yDna (claimed to be a "Semitic" J1 clade), and mtDna, and strangely, a Patrizio posts the same data, in almost the same words, making the same arguments, on anthrogenica that Azzuro posts here. If you hear hooves, it's a horse. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to find the exact posts at anthrogenica and see how they compare to those of Azzuro and Patrizio here. If it looks like they're all the same person, both of them are going to be banned. In case it has skipped everyone's mind, you don't get to post under two names here. NO SOCKS ALLOWED! Clear?

This isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened to me. Someone claiming to be half Italian and half German or something, who looked completely Levantine to me, and seemed to know nothing of Italy, when questioned, sent me a photo shopped picture of himself pasted onto a tourist picture of Italy. You can't make this stuff up.

You know, people, if you're going to play these games, you have to get better at it.

@Binx,
Maybe French Canadians are a little different? After all, they're still native French speakers, even if it's a dialect. I think with them that insisting on their "French-ness" has something to do with their political identity in a country where they're a minority.

@Pax Augusta,

There's no point in bickering about it. Let it go. It's clear what's going on. Someone who speaks to his grandparents in Italian who writes "azzuro" and "securo"? Someone who says these bizarre things for an Italian-Canadian? I don't think so.

Visto sei sempre meno credibile, la mia testa diventa ancora più dura.

La pazienza e la virtù degli più forti.
Something that i have learned from Italians. I hope that i was correct with my italian.

Angela, what your doing is really unnecessary, making false claims about me being this Patrizio fellow, this is my experience and the way how I feel, i will change my flag when I get to my laptop, i dont know how to do it on my phone, just because I dont spell the words properly doesnt make any less or speak less italian, your making me look like a an imposter on a public forum, i have nothing to lie about, you and pax can say whatever you want pose any restrictions, it will not change the fact that I am Italian and no one has the right to say what I am and what I am not because it is I who has the say, I AM OF FULLY ITALIAN DESCENT AND WILL ALWAYS CLAIM MY ITALIAN IDENTITY!!!!!!! FORZA ITALIA, FORZA AZZURRI E FORZA LA FAMIGLIA!!!

La pazienza e la virtù degli più forti.
Something that i have learned from Italians. I hope that i was correct with my italian.

Esattamente, Laberia. Il tuo italiano è perfettamente comprensibile.

This thread has been viewed 90970 times.

Back