Your opinion of italians

On italian looks

• Total voters
so, here is my division of italy
that makes 5 states in case of a secession, or more auspicable by me for a federal fiscal and in part political division of italy

behaviours.. modern occidental mentality.. not strictly correlated with climate.. i feel more related with a southern french, swiss, central european than with southern italians... also many southern italians who live in southern italy, don't appreciate our mentality... they see us more like the swiss too... thought the southern italians who live here, like other europeans immigrants, can if they want integrate well.

we may be more similar in phenotype with southern italians and other southern europeans, but our mentality it's like central european

I have the impression that you consider 'modern occidental mentality' as a positive trait vs. Mediterranean mentality as negative...

Julia90,

Where abouts in Italy are you from?

As for the main topics:

It is manifestly true that Northern Italians look and act more Celtic and Germanic than Southern Italians. They also tend to be of a more subdued, serious culture, than the gregarious Southern Italians and Sicillians.

What does "acting" more Celtic and Germanic means?

Holy shit I just realised this thread is one big cultural stereotyping fest. Good grief...poor Southern Italians.

Although I try to avoid it, many times I fall to political issues, nationalistic Issues

Firtst of All who is Italy? what Area is Italy?

the term is after Greek Isalos Ισαλος, Italy stopes at North of Rome, Italian North is not Italy,
Until Garibaldi All historians Name Itally south and Central parts of the peninsula, Especially east Romans consider Venice Lombardia and Savoia wtc as non Italians,
So first you judge with modern criteria and not Historical
Modern Italy's North is divided in 2 major parts, the Germanic-Balcanic who mostly use venice as port, and Italo-Celtic who mainly use Genoa as port, Central Italy is mostly Italo-Celtic and south is a strange case,
Infact South Italy for me has more diversities and is more multicultural,
South Italy has not only Meditterenean culture from all the inner sea but also North European and some areas in south reminds me more North Europe population than North Italy , In palermo still you can find Normans and Scan from medieval times.

Besides a good question is how much ASIAN is the North? considering that the biggest migration in Italy were Greeks and !!!! ETruscans

Now the case of Albanians is another story,
I find them very bold and daring leaving their homes to go to work wherever and whatever, in 90's they walked tenth of miles to find a work in Greece, walking over half a meter snow sometimes, and many of them have the besa and are good workers
On religious matters the ones who are from cities towns are non fanatic, the problem is from some areas were religious foundamental revived after the fall of Hodza, cause the old dictator manage to control it but today seems to revive,

the other case is worldwide and has nothing to with Albanians but with Kain's curse,
Albania has an inner law among families and castes, which forces criminals to go abroad, mainly as illegal immigrants,
that is common to every country, remember at 1900's criminal of Europe escape to US and australia was build by convicts of British empire

and Endri I have been and you know that are areas that even you, don't go with fear

The part of Italy you commented is all true.....Italy is a greek word describing Italians as you noted ( I think sicilians are excluded as being italians ). But as stated historically around 1500BC all north italy where the ligues ( ligurians ) people. This is where culture/mentality started. these people did not migrate anywhere in large numbers, but accepted other races in their culture. Since the ligurians at this time where also in southern france, you can see a similar people stretching from french provence to Northeast Italy today

so, here is my division of italy
that makes 5 states in case of a secession, or more auspicable by me for a federal fiscal and in part political division of italy

Your map is based on the known linguistic division seperating north italy at la Spezia-Rimini ( I have no issue with this as this is fact noted by professors of language and culture ), but the other divisons you stated is a division based on a starting point of the peace of Lido in 1453.

My theory is the ancient proved theory based on the original people of these lands, Ligurians in the north, Umbrians in the central , up to Rome, the Oscans in the south .........and the sicilians and sardinians ...?? unsure of these

Did you read the Italian link I commented to you in another thread?

I have the impression that you consider 'modern occidental mentality' as a positive trait vs. Mediterranean mentality as negative...

Lol, I am actually getting more confident that that is in fact what she thinks the more she denies it. Yes julia, we get it, Southerners are not "bad", only "different". Southern Italy is also not "europe-like" and you "didn't feel like you were in italy" when you were in the South.

There's nothing wrong with admitting that there are some bad things about S. Italy. In fact, I'd guess the S. Italians themselves would agree. No need to pretend otherwise.

I wonder, if Italy is divided to 5 Parts, and these parts take their aytonomy,

The rich North, where will sell its products?

I wonder, if Italy is divided to 5 Parts, and these parts take their aytonomy,

The rich North, where will sell its products?

What does that have to do with trade? given that they'll all be in the EU, they'll be part of the common market.

well i can guarantee all of you that these divisions are real and deep..
if someone like me going to southern italy will feel alien there, like going to another country (and even more for me); than should be "italy" divided in its true culture?

even the folk music is totally different
northern vs southern italian folk musics are million times distant between them... nothing good or bad, they are both great folk music.. but different.. like on opposite
.. to give an example

northern italy music with deep affinities to western europe

another northern italian, alpine chour

listen to two northern italian dialect (Romagnol).. you get a great affinity with french languages

while southern italian feel completely different

France is not uniform either. Despite central government's tough measures for the last 200 years there are huge differences between Brittany, Alsace, Corsica, Aquitaine, French Basque territories and the rest of France. Should France also become a federal country?

Not disputing that there are differences. What is it that S. Italian culture has in common with Middle Eastern cultures (and they are not monolithic) that is stronger than what it has in common with the rest of the Italian (Central and Northern) culture(s)?

France is not uniform either. Despite central government's tough measures for the last 200 years there are huge differences between Brittany, Alsace, Corsica, Aquitaine, French Basque territories and the rest of France. Should France also become a federal country?

well, but France has less physical obstacle to omozenisation (mostly plains, while italy is mostly hilly and montaneous).. and it was unificated more in the past times than italy... i'm sure that nowdays 70% or more of the French speak only standard French and not dialects.. while in italy many people continue to speak dialects both in southern and in northern italy.

the first obstacle for me was dialect while i was in southern italy.. while it's true that when people spoke to me they spoke in standard italian.. but between them they spoke in dialects and.. it's a both fashinating but also orrible sensation to understand very few of wat they were saying.. while in southern italy (below rome and latina) people in the streets speak only dialects in central italy (rome, umbria, tuscany, marche) and in many places of northern italy too (like milan, bologna, turin.. big cities) people speak standard italian even if with regional accents. It's also true that in some northern italian places they speak only in dialect (like in veneto).. i bet the sensation would be the same for me (i'm from central italy), feeling alien also in northern italy if they spoke in dialect.

to add to that northern italians usually feel more italian than southern italians do.. because in northern italy there are northern italians but also many people with origins in southern italy.. so we feel very integrated with each other.. while in southern italy they haven't received the immigration from northern italians.. and i felt a bit of mentaly closure towards me and other italians from the north in vacation in southern italy.. they wanted to distanciate them from us, because they aren't used to us.. while we are used of them and we are integrated with them in northern and central italy (for example i have many friends of southern italian origins here).

in france people from the north have migrated in southern france and vice versa

Not disputing that there are differences. What is it that S. Italian culture has in common with Middle Eastern cultures (and they are not monolithic) that is stronger than what it has in common with the rest of the Italian (Central and Northern) culture(s)?

well, the importance of the family ties mostly.. some behaviours also.. in southern italy you have big familes and they get married earlier.. they have many offspring (more than three children).. at marriage's parties they invite up to 400-600 people (mostly parents and friends).. in central and northern italy at marriages usually you don't get more than 80 peoople

well, the importance of the family ties mostly.. some behaviours also.. in southern italy you have big familes and they get married earlier.. they have many offspring (more than three children).. at marriage's parties they invite up to 400-600 people (mostly parents and friends).. in central and northern italy at marriages usually you don't get more than 80 peoople

First I don't think Middle Easterners have huge weddings. Greeks on the other hand, do have huge weddings.

Second, I highly doubt that the birth ratio in the South is that high (>3 children/family). Perhaps you're referring to the 50s or the 20s. In fact, nowadays, Northerners have a higher birth ratio (at least according to this paper) and the differences between the North and the South were always marginal - like half a kid or something (oh yeah and they don't have children much earlier than you do - 2 years earlier perhaps).

In any case, my original question was whether these perceived similarities with the Middle East outweigh the commonalities with the Central-North so as to suggest that they're culturally more Middle Eastern than they are "Italian" (N-C). You're both Roman Catholic. No matter how much trouble you have with local accents, S. Italians are almost entirely alien to Arabic but at they very least, they can communicate in standard Italian with you. Presumably, you watch the same TV shows and assuming the educational system is not like in the US, you will have far more similar educational backgrounds than the S. Italians would have with the Arabs. Etc, etc...

The fact that they speak standard French around France is the result of harsh measures by the central government. 200 years ago what we call French now was spoken only in Île-de-France.

This thread has been viewed 90695 times.

Back