DNA results--Haplogroup I (M170)

albany

Reaction score
I had my Y chromosome DNA tested throught National Geographic. The results were Haplogroup I (M170). Anyone know what that means. I read online that 20% of Europeans have this. Is there a way to narrow down where my ancestors come from without paying for another test?

I also got these results but I don't have any idea what they mean:

393 390 19 391 385a 385b 426 388 439 389-1 392 389-2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 22 15 10 12 14 11 13 11 13 11 17

If anyone can help pinpoint my heritage I would be very grateful. My father was atleast half Irish. Thats all the background I've got. Thanks

I had my Y chromosome DNA tested throught National Geographic. The results were Haplogroup I (M170). Anyone know what that means. I read online that 20% of Europeans have this. Is there a way to narrow down where my ancestors come from without paying for another test?

I also got these results but I don't have any idea what they mean:

393 390 19 391 385a 385b 426 388 439 389-1 392 389-2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 22 15 10 12 14 11 13 11 13 11 17

If anyone can help pinpoint my heritage I would be very grateful. My father was atleast half Irish. Thats all the background I've got. Thanks

That looks to be, with pretty high confidence, I2c1 L1251+ (also called I2c-C). It's a pretty rare group that I think may have spread initially with the Celts, with a lot of later spread resulting from the migration of Germanicized Celts. I don't see any exact matches, but a Smither and a Zyglewicz are both pretty close (the first is probably British Isles in origin, the second Polish... I'm guessing the first is more likely to be relevant to you?). See also I2c at Maciamo's I2 page and Ken Nordtvedt's Haplogroup I tree.

I don't know of any famous I2c1 carriers, but Ryan Sweeting might be one (Bahamian Sweetings have tested as I2c1). If you go back a bit farther to I2c, some famous I2c include Pavel Tsitsianov, Taymuraz Mamsurov, Bigfoot Wallace (and, of course, myself).

but a Smither and a Zyglewicz are both pretty close (the first is probably British Isles in origin, the second Polish... I'm guessing the first is more likely to be relevant to you?)
QUOTE]

Wow. Thanks for all the info! What is a Smither or a Zyglewicz? Would this mean I am likely descended from Germanic Celts who settled Ireland? I really appreciate the help.

What is a Smither or a Zyglewicz?

Those are a couple of last names of people your YDNA matches closely to.

Would this mean I am likely descended from Germanic Celts who settled Ireland?

Since your haplotype is uncommon and you don't have a lot of close matches, I don't think we have the resolution to say when your patriline reached Ireland. I would guess it was fairly late, based only on the fact that there are very few Irish I2c1 carriers, and your particular little cluster so far only has British and Polish surnames besides yours.

I could give you a highly speculative history of the wanderings of your patriline, as long as you're clear that it involves a lot of guesswork and could be wrong in several places.

Sparkey,

I'd love to hear your speculations. Thanks for taking the time. My ancestral heritage is so unknown I could have English or Polish links that I don't know about.

Thanks again.

Sparkey,

I'd love to hear your speculations. Thanks for taking the time. My ancestral heritage is so unknown I could have English or Polish links that I don't know about.

Thanks again.

Interesting... if you want to narrow it down further and determine if your family surname was originally Smither or Zyglewicz or something not in the public databases, you would need to upgrade to more markers. 37 via FTDNA should work. As is, we don't have enough info to say whether your family was recently from England, Poland, Ireland, or somewhere else.

Anyway, my guess for your patriline's migration goes something like this:

ca. 28000 YBP: Arrives in Europe as part of the Paleolithic Gravettian culture (as Haplogroup IJ)
ca. 22000 YBP: Continues into the Epipaleolithic Epigravettian culture near the Adriatic (as Haplogroup I2*)
ca. 12000 YBP: Continues into the Mesolithic Sauveterrian* culture north of the Alps (as Haplogroup I2c)
ca. 9000 YBP: Continues as part of Tardenoisian culture in Central Europe (as Haplogroup I2c)
ca. 7000 YBP: Continues as part of Linear Pottery culture in Central Europe (as Haplogroup I2c1)
ca. 4000 YBP: Sometime during the Bronze Age is absorbed into Unetice and/or Tumulus culture, is probably Indo-Europeanized/Celticized by then or sometime around then**
ca. 3000 YBP: I2c1 begins to expand from its most recent common ancestor, soon after joining and expanding with the Celtic Halstatt culture

*Probably the most speculative guess above... it's really hard to say here, but it does seem that I2c moved from the Adriatic to north of the Alps by the Mesolithic sometime
**How Central/Western Europe got Indo-Europeanized and Celticized is up to significant debate

After that, it would help to have your sample at higher resolution. My guess is that your ancestors ended up in modern Germany, got Germancized sometime around the Classical Period or Migration Period, and expanded with the Saxons or somebody. It's also possible that they ended up with the Belgae or somebody like that and expanded to wherever they ended up before the Saxons... it's still hard to say at this point.

That's really interesting!
My Y-DNA, going back from me is I-Z140 > M253 > M170. My M170 was coming from M89...

I know my DNA mitochondrial haplogrup is: Haplogrup T (16126C, 16172C, 16183C, 16189C, 16294T, 16519C), but may anyone tell me if I´m T1 or T2 ?? (Very thanks)

This thread has been viewed 20652 times.

Back