Harvard professor wants Neanderthal baby?

As I earlier mentioned in another thread let Church use his wife or daughter to incubate the Neanderthal that way the Neanderthal is actually his relative. IF it is a big mistake let him and the Neanderthal suffer the consequences. If it is boon then his family will be enriched. I think as a child Church may have watched 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' and saw that if the experiment is wrong it could lead to a nasty end. One thing should be noted. It was written during a period where scientists had a code of honour. They experimented on themselves thus if if things go wrong they are to blame and no on else would be harmed or minimized.

Now he is asking for a "volunteer" putting himself above others so he does not sugffer the consequences of his good/bad decision.

His wife would be too old. How do you know he has a daughter ?

Whoever carries this Neanderthal baby will be remembered by history as one of the great pioneers of scientific advancement, just like when Neil Armstrong first set foot on the Moon. Imagine, the first woman to give birth to a previously extinct subspecies of human ! How exciting !

So we are talking about the Ability and Glory to make a clone of a Human being,

and not aout the need to do so, or how that Human will feel in a different world,

the glory of Give life, no matter the need or the course and emotions of the creation,

I was always got scared when I was watching movies about Frankestein

in 1978 there was a movie about cloning, Boys from Brazil with Gregory Peck
much even before Dolly's birth,

if someone wants to watch it, here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58H_kAZZsY

PS
what I am afraid is the Virtue of that scientific effort
cause science without Virtue is not wise as Aristotle said,

Last edited:
Maciamo, Oriental is referring to the fact that many scientists are for experimenting on the human condition, as long as it's ANOTHER human's condition. The GMO controversy here in America is a prime example of that... I could make a list of utterly horrible experiments continued in the name of science (by multiple nations), but it's early morning here and I don't want to start the day too depressed. We should take the "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" approach.

If I had more time, I'd post a link to the WWII U.S. Army Captain, who rather than subject his men to dangerous G force experiments, acutally completed them on himself. I think he still has the world record for highest G force ever survived. There's a video of him surviving a high speed rocket rail stop-- he thought his eyes were going to pop out of his skull. They didn't thankfully; but his eyes did bleed and turned black, he briefly lost vision, but luckily he did fully recover.

Now that's taking one for the team.

His wife would be too old. How do you know he has a daughter ?

It doesn't have to be as mentioned but any family member would do.

Imagine, the first woman to give birth to a previously extinct subspecies of human ! How exciting !

Exciting NOT! Dolly the first sheep cloned died suddenly. The fusion of the sperm with egg in a natural process leads to a natural and healthy creature. Cloning involves an electric shock to fuse the genes. We know that Electromagnetic (EMF) waves can cause cancer and other disturbances. Who knows how the electric shock may have affected the organic genes. Cloning is a questionable process as applied to humans especially. This Neanderthal could suddenly die despite showing perfect external sign of perfect health.

Genetics is in its infancy and there is a lot yet to be learned. For a decade or two there was talk of JUNK DNA. Ten years ago in another forum I pointed out it was not JUNK but an evolutionary trail of humans. Just like a city the old buildings shows the history of the city. I am not even a scientist and I pointed this out. It shows the calibre of the geneticists.

Genetics also has a murky beginning. Watson and Frick without Franklin's knowledge took her x-rays of DNA and came out with the double helix. Watson had worked on a single helix and it was not proving successful. They were afraid of Linus Pauling who had already won two Nobel Prizes. Pauling also had a single helix in the works. Franklin was never mentioned. She died of cancer from all the x-ray exposure. There is much greed in biotechnology. First walk before running.

The fusion of the sperm with egg in a natural process leads to a natural and healthy creature.
Natural yes, healthy mostly.
We only play "god" for couple of decades on genetic level, and will take some time to understand all and improve technics to much or even exceed natural quality.
Nature had almost a billion of years to experiment in sexing department, and still is far from being perfect, in human understanding of this term. It is estimated that about half of all human pregnancies are terminated, by nature, in first month, due to genetic complications of a fetus. One in 5 people or more live all life with some substantial genetic abnormalities (joint toes, week heart, "slow" in school and work, blind, etc) and die prematurely. To be honest I was never impressed much with nature, the blind and not caring "mother nature".
I'm sure that in the future, once we completely understand how it works, we'll be able to improve upon design. And with human genius we can do this in hundred years, in what took a billion for blind nature.

By no means I'm advocating alienating ourselves from nature. We are very in tune with our environment generally speaking, and for our own health shouldn't change it too much. I'm barely musing about improving and perfecting few things, so at the end of a day, we all will be beautiful, healthy and smart. :)

I'm sure there will be some more effort in the future to bring back some extinct species. Most animals won't survive just because today's environment is different. For example, dinosaurs were used to 40% oxygen (21% today) in denser hotter and very moist air, their plant food source changed too, plus all their digestive bacterial flora (essential to digest food) is gone too.
With the Neanderthals it will be easier because of short time laps since their demise, and earth not changing much since. But they would certainly have a problem adopting to agricultural/industrial way of life, or coping with addictive substances like alcohol and other drugs. Same problems experienced on big scale by aboriginal people of Australia or Canadian prairies, the pure hunter gatherers.

To be honest I'm not looking forward to recreation of extinct species. But I wouldn't mind growing parts of them to see how they look. Let's grow dinosaur skin to finely see how it looked, with feathers or not.
Our genetic knowledge will grow fast, and soon we will be in a position to tell, just by looking at DNA, what the animal looked like, what it ate, etc, without growing it in our labs. We will put DNA into super computer and it could show the full animal, how it moved, or what sounds it made, and see it in 3D.

What about future pets though?
PS. Can you imagine what weird pets people will have in the future, giving the technology? Maybe little griffin for someone, or a little flying dragon? Like T-rex looking lizard?

If I had more time, I'd post a link to the WWII U.S. Army Captain, who rather than subject his men to dangerous G force experiments, acutally completed them on himself. I think he still has the world record for highest G force ever survived. There's a video of him surviving a high speed rocket rail stop-- he thought his eyes were going to pop out of his skull. They didn't thankfully; but his eyes did bleed and turned black, he briefly lost vision, but luckily he did fully recover.

Now that's taking one for the team.

Just to clarify... the person I referred to is named John Paul Stapp M.D. PhD. He was a Colonel in the United States Air Force, and the main body of the afore mentioned experiments took place in the mid 1950's. Sorry for the confusion. The rest of it was accurate though, he really did take a few for the home team!

They are preparing Mars as they know they are screwing Earth.

Oriental, have you seen the NASA space shuttle videos of the hundreds of moving lights they claim are "space dust"? For some reason these lights hover over storm clouds-- maybe to recharge? Also, the elderly astronauts that went to the moon are now talking, and they openingly admit to seeing/being followed by alien craft.

Youtube is the great equalizer!

Last edited:
Oriental, have you seen the NASA space shuttle videos of the hundreds of moving lights they claim are "space dust"? For some reason these lights hover over storm clouds-- maybe to recharge? Also, the elderly astronauts that went to the moon are now talking, and they opening admit to seeing/being followed by alien craft.

Youtube is the great equalizer!
I can see the spirituality gene in you. :grin:

I believe God is All-Powerful, All-Knowing, and Everywhere and therefore He would reign over space aliens, light beings, inter-dimensional travellers just as He reigns over humans. Humans are just a small part of the overall plan, but He loves us all.

Sure if you can encourage the scientists to successfully prove that the pros are better than the cons to bring back an extinct species

If you're a supporter of the advancement of science, it might be fruitful at this juncture to review a study called the Milgram Experiment.

Plot spoiler--the vast majority of test subjects took the meter to 450 volts. While I very much appreciate most of the gains we've made as a species, we have to constantly apply rigous morality tests to genetic exploration like this. This is human life we are talking about and life is sacred.

the NASA space shuttle videos of the hundreds of moving lights

No. I used to listen to art bell. That Nicola Tesla was really something. Art Bell talked about the Harp Project in Alaska with high energy broadcasts to alter weather patterns. I think Tesla tried to transfer energy through air but with air's high resistance he ended up creating lightning. His demonstration to J.P. Morgan to finance ended in failure and Morgan shut him down. Those lightnings scared the residents of the town as it affected the town's lighting as well, I think.

My thoughts on the firm getting a patent on the family's disease is a breach of trust. A doctor is supposed to protect his/her clients information. This firm was acting in a "doctor" role by getting the genome of the disease but instead obtained a patent without the patient's approval.

I think we should bring back people from our ancient civilizations as well, like ancient greeks, illyrians, egyptians and early homo sapiens just to see if they looked any different before all the mixing. being able to see a living Neanderthal in my lifetime would be amazing though...

This thread has been viewed 40073 times.

Back