Villanova culture represents Italic colonisation of Italy

at Maciamo

Let me just break down (simplify) what i wrote [quotes/sources] on posts # 6, # 11, # 14.
Its important to note 2 things, time-line and geography.

Remedello II - [2900 - 2500 BC] - Copper Age - North Italy (Alps/Po Valley)
first expansion of Indo-Europeans; mixed Civilization;

Terremare - [1500 - 1100 BC] - Bronze Age - North Italy (Po Valley)
first substantial wave of Indo-Europeans (Umbrians) via Swiss lake-dwellings

Villanova I - [1200 - 900 BC] - Bronze Age - North Italy (Po Valley)
part of Urnfield Culture Complex; Umbrian - Pelasgian (Tyrsenoi) Hybrid;

1 Certosa Situla, 2 Arnoaldi Situla, 3 Warriors from Arnoaldi Situla - from near Bologna, North Italy
situla1.png

Villanova II - [900 - 700 BC] - Iron Age - North & Central Italy (Po Valley/Appenines/Tuscany)
emergence of Etruscan Civilization (Tyrsenoi Dominant);
extensive contacts to Greek Colonies (Magna Graecia) Alphabet/Mythology/Pottery

etruscan1.png

North Italy in the times of Villanova II [Etruscan Civ.]
was the Golasecca and Este cultures
(BOTH Indo-European [Insubres (Umbrian) / Veneti] and part of the Urnfield culture complex)

Howard H. Scullard - A History of the Roman World (2003) [Kings College - London]
Beside the Villanovans two other main kindred groups who cremated their dead can be distinguished in North Italy from about 900 BC onwards: the Golasecca culture and the Atestine, the former around Lake Maggiore, in Piedmont and Lombardy, and around Lake Como, where regional differences occur; where regional differences occur; the latter around Este (ancient Ateste) in Venetia. The Golaseccans, unlike the Atestines and Villanovans of Bologna, had a warrior class, as is clear from the chariots and weapons found in the graves of some of their chieftains.

Golasecca - [900 - 350 BC] - Bronze Age / Iron Age
Insubres (Umbrians) Indo-Europeans; contacts with Hallstatt;

Golasecca tomb of Sesto-Calende, Lombardy / 7th cen BC
http://www.comune.sesto-calende.va.it/tur_cult/museoweb/1ferro_c/principesche/principesche.htm
golasecca1.png

The Lepontic language is associated with the Golasecca culture
http://www.ancient-celts.com/LanguagesLepontic.html

Este - [900 - Roman Times] - Bronze Age / Iron Age
second substantial wave of Indo-Europeans (Veneti); extensive contacts with Hallstatt

Veneti - Bronze Situla Cover - 6th cen BC, from Este - Veneto
veneti1.png

Hallstatt proper is only C - D [750 - 400 BC] Hallstatt A - B is Bronze Age Urnfield [1200 - 750 BC] (not distinctive)
Este and Golasecca had extensive contacts with Hallstatt;

estecultureck9.jpg

You are correct that it all goes in circles, but keep in mind that Este and Golasecca were kindred to the earlier and more sophisticated Villanova I [Umbrian-Pelasgian Hybrid / Urnfield culture] and Villanova II [Etruscan civ.]

Alphabets of Golasecca and Este coming via Villanova II
[Etruscan (from Greek Cumaen) Runic Alphabet]

Golasecca - Lepontic Inscr. Vergiate, Verese - Lombardy
ec87675ce768e7f4fdff8a3b3937b4d6.jpg

Venetic cup from Lozzo Atestino - Veneto
veneti2.png

To really make it simple: 4 important migrations:
1. Copper Age - Indo-European - Remedello II
2. Bronze Age - Indo-European [Umbrian] - Terremare
3. Bronze Age - Non-Indo-European [Pelasgian (Tyrsenoi)] - Villanova I (mixed with Umbrians)
4. Iron Age - Indo-European [Veneti] - Este culture (Urnfield / offshoot Villanova I)

all other info (details) on posts # 6, # 11, #14

in 2008 the cremation urns in venetia, in many sites are dated to 1050BC ( so Far ) ...a slight change from the 2003 findings.
Findings by Elisa Perego

good clarity article by you, ty

Zanipolo you are impressing meeee lol, BUT I believe the Venetian carni can be linked to northwestern France's carnutes and the nearby cenomani are also linked to north eastern France's aulerci cenomani. There is both significant genetic and historic information showing affinities between north central Italians and Swiss/French people's. the senones of the Marche region near senigallia ( Gaul of senones) can be found in the north-central Gaul/French senones tribe, etc. just a LOT of data upholding a France-Italy migration over different periods of time.

I disagree,
The Villanova culture was an Umbrian - Pelasgian (Tyrsenoi) culture complex, that doesnt correspond to the realm of R1b-S28 (U-152) and is also in off with Archaeology/Anthropology.
Villanova culture is also not the culture with direct conatct to Hallstatt,
it was the Este culture of NE Italy and to a smaller extent the Golasecca culture of the Lombard Lakes.

What do you disagree about?

As you know, Umbrians were an Italic people living in North-Central Italy. Proto-Villanovan culture (Villanovan I) dates from c. 1200 BC to c. 900 BC and the Villanovan culture (Villanovan II) from c. 900 BC to c. 700 BC. The first Etruscan inscriptions dates 700 BC. Despite all the genetics studies done so far we still don't know when and if a Tyrrhenian (better not use the term Pelasgian that is a too generic) component settled in what will later known as Etruria. Este culture is said to be an offshot of Proto-Villanovan culture, as Golasecca culture is contemporary of the Villanovan culture (Villanovan II). Well, Proto-Villanovan culture represents Italic colonisation of Italy indeed. Probably not the only and the first.

This thread has been viewed 31813 times.

Back