Pictish written language discovered in Scotland

Great find Kardu, they have yet to classify the picts language, so this is of great interest to me. I have always had a keen interest in the Picts and their rise and fall, I hope they will be able to classify the language with this inscription, or at least get a better understanding of it. My guess is that Pictish will be a branch of Celtic, but perhaps a very isolated one, although I still think there is a distinct possibility that its a pre indo european language, which would be even more interesting.

I share your curiosity about Picts :)
How unfortunate that this people managing to survive until almost 10th century as a separate entity simply vanished and got absorbed completely.
As for their affinity to Celts or Pre-IE, their physical features are already quite telling: short and dark..
As Stevenson puts it:
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]And the dwarfish and swarthy couple
Looked at the king again.
[/FONT]http://poetry.about.com/od/poemsbytitleh/l/blstevensonheatherale.htm[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]
[/FONT]

I share your curiosity about Picts :)
How unfortunate that this people managing to survive until almost 10th century as a separate entity simply vanished and got absorbed completely.
As for their affinity to Celts or Pre-IE, their physical features are already quite telling: short and dark..
As Stevenson puts it:
And the dwarfish and swarthy couple
Looked at the king again.
http://poetry.about.com/od/poemsbytitleh/l/blstevensonheatherale.htm

we know very little about the Picts physical look - they are surely not the older inhabitants of Caledonia - the today people of the area is not leven, the N-E of Grampians showed a fair enough population, with some traits evocating 'borreby' influence (not dominance!!!), but around fifshire they are darker with a strain of 'alpinelike' brachycephally, even in as a whole a part of this light brachycephally can be due to 'dinaric' phenotype history could point to a Bell Beaker occupation of E-Scotland, came from the Netherlands mouths of Rhine, and after clearly celtic influences from S-Germany-E-France-Switzerland area (from Urnfields to La Tène?)- that doesn' t resolve the case of yet older populations in Scotland - (I think the BB's was OR SEND WITH THEM N-W archaic I-E speakers (rivers names in Scotland and W-Europe as a whole?) - they were maybe a part of the so called 'celto-ligurian' people? a former wave of I-E's "arrows propagation" ?
all the way the poetic description of Picts cannot be taken too seriously, I mean

This thread has been viewed 5595 times.

Back