Jewish people, where they are from?

Possible, yet again you'd expect more WHG if there was a substantial amount of gene flow.
Statistically-speaking, all Ashkenazim have Sephardic ancestry.
Okay, once again, thanks for the answer. :)
I suppose that the only meaningful gene flow from any European population probably comes from pre Slavic Greeks, but it should be noted that northern Spaniards get about 12% WHG, which, even though being double than what modern mainland Greeks get, but we're talking about northern Spaniards, people who I suppose come from north of Madrid, we're not even talking about Spaniards from places like Toledo or Extremadura or Andalucia and, it's still not the amount that modern French, Pommy's (Englishmen) or Czechs get, all of these have WHG above 30.

BTW Are Gedmatch calculators such as Eurogenes, Dodecad and MDLP considered reliable? Also on the map French seem to have equal geneflow as Poles, Hungarians and Bulgarians (it gets even higher in southwest France and I don't mean the Basques), does this represent geneflow from both sides or just from the AJs outwards?

P.S I took a look at the study and it says Spaniards get 7% while Basques get 12% http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/suppl/2013/12/23/001552.DC1/001552-1.pdf

Last edited:
BTW Are Gedmatch calculators such as Eurogenes, Dodecad and MDLP considered reliable? Also on the map French seem to have equal geneflow as Poles, Hungarians and Bulgarians (it gets even higher in southwest France and I don't mean the Basques), does this represent geneflow from both sides or just from the AJs outwards?

P.S I took a look at the study and it says Spaniards get 7% while Basques get 12% http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/suppl/2013/12/23/001552.DC1/001552-1.pdf

go to gedmatch

run EUTEST and note numbers , then run JTEST and compare against the Eutest numbers.

jtest has jewish numbers and eutest has zero jewish..........they where made to be run against each other.
Then go to the hsplogroup you belong to and the subclades which are jewish.

with these tests most can tell if their jewishness is paternal or maternal and where they are from ...................I envy the jews in genetics.........they have the ability to narrow down to subclades their origins, me, I have to search through the whole haplogroup:sad-2:

go to gedmatch

run EUTEST and note numbers , then run JTEST and compare against the Eutest numbers.

jtest has jewish numbers and eutest has zero jewish..........they where made to be run against each other.
Then go to the hsplogroup you belong to and the subclades which are jewish.

with these tests most can tell if their jewishness is paternal or maternal and where they are from ...................I envy the jews in genetics.........they have the ability to narrow down to subclades their origins, me, I have to search through the whole haplogroup:sad-2:

Jtest:

Population
SOUTH_BALTIC3.60%
EAST_EURO1.41%
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO7.42%
ATLANTIC11.01%
WEST_MED11.20%
ASHKENAZI28.29%
EAST_MED22.46%
WEST_ASIAN8.27%
MIDDLE_EASTERN5.58%
SOUTH_ASIAN-
EAST_AFRICAN-
EAST_ASIAN0.30%
SIBERIAN-
WEST_AFRICAN0.46%

EUtest:

Population
SOUTH_BALTIC4.05%
EAST_EURO3.27%
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO9.42%
ATLANTIC14.88%
WEST_MED14.56%
EAST_MED29.89%
WEST_ASIAN12.28%
MIDDLE_EASTERN10.43%
SOUTH_ASIAN-
EAST_AFRICAN0.24%
EAST_ASIAN0.35%
SIBERIAN-
WEST_AFRICAN0.63%

I get 95.1% AJ on 23andme, so I'm pretty sure I'm a full AJ. My maternal lineage is exclusively AJ and I don't know the exact branch of E-M35.1 which I belong to.

BTW Gedmatch became the first recipient of the "Technology Advances Award" made by the Federation of Genealogical Societies. The award certificate is "in recognition of an innovative product that enhances the genetic genealogy experience." So perhaps it is reliable.

BTW Gedmatch became the first recipient of the "Technology Advances Award" made by the Federation of Genealogical Societies. The award certificate is "in recognition of an innovative product that enhances the genetic genealogy experience." So perhaps it is reliable.

Gedmatch is reliable in its own peculiar way, it proves useful in fitting you with contemporary populations for instance.
Until we have a reliable assessment of genetic prehistory, Gedmatch's calculators will be based on pure conjecture and will only uncover contemporary ancestry.

The Middle East's genetic prehistory is unknown territory as of now, terra incognita!
The best we have right now are educated guesses (such as Polako's "AME" or "NEF", and even then it's a bold undertaking).
So we can expect a few surprises when actual data will come to us from these areas (kind of logical, given the amount of surprises we're encountering in Europe, a continent with a mildly complex demographic history, so it definitely is a cautionary tale for areas with very complex population dynamics such as the Near East).

Jtest:

Population
SOUTH_BALTIC3.60%
EAST_EURO1.41%
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO7.42%
ATLANTIC11.01%
WEST_MED11.20%
ASHKENAZI28.29%
EAST_MED22.46%
WEST_ASIAN8.27%
MIDDLE_EASTERN5.58%
SOUTH_ASIAN-
EAST_AFRICAN-
EAST_ASIAN0.30%
SIBERIAN-
WEST_AFRICAN0.46%

EUtest:

Population
SOUTH_BALTIC4.05%
EAST_EURO3.27%
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO9.42%
ATLANTIC14.88%
WEST_MED14.56%
EAST_MED29.89%
WEST_ASIAN12.28%
MIDDLE_EASTERN10.43%
SOUTH_ASIAN-
EAST_AFRICAN0.24%
EAST_ASIAN0.35%
SIBERIAN-
WEST_AFRICAN0.63%

I get 95.1% AJ on 23andme, so I'm pretty sure I'm a full AJ. My maternal lineage is exclusively AJ and I don't know the exact branch of E-M35.1 which I belong to.

your greatest jewishness is East-Med at over 7%
go into documentation for this test and check the populace that represent East-med for this test ............or sent a note to Polako

your greatest jewishness is East-Med at over 7%
go into documentation for this test and check the populace that represent East-med for this test ............or sent a note to Polako

As far as I'm aware, "East_Med" in these tests = Druze.

Gedmatch is reliable in its own peculiar way, it proves useful in fitting you with contemporary populations for instance.
Until we have a reliable assessment of genetic prehistory, Gedmatch's calculators will be based on pure conjecture and will only uncover contemporary ancestry.

The Middle East's genetic prehistory is unknown territory as of now, terra incognita!
The best we have right now are educated guesses (such as Polako's "AME" or "NEF", and even then it's a bold undertaking).
So we can expect a few surprises when actual data will come to us from these areas (kind of logical, given the amount of surprises we're encountering in Europe, a continent with a mildly complex demographic history, so it definitely is a cautionary tale for areas with very complex population dynamics such as the Near East).

Alright, thanks. What Gedmatch tells me is genetic similarities with Sicilians/south Italians/Greeks, so while the genetic similarities and gene flow/admixture/IBD sharing is most likely genuine in the case of the last one, I doubt there's clear direct gene flow/admixture/IBD sharing with the first two. Also I sometimes have similarities with Spaniards in mixed populations (usually Valencia Spaniards) also makes me wonder, while it's clear most if not all AJs have been heavily influenced by Sephardi admixture, and while it's certain there was large gene flow FROM Sephardis to Spaniards, I doubt that happened to a large degree the other way around, what do you think?

As far as I'm aware, "East_Med" in these tests = Druze.
Really? Interesting... And what does the "Atlantic" and "West Mediterranean" represent? because I seem to get double the amount of Atlantic from what the average AJ is supposed to get.

so while the genetic similarities and gene flow/admixture/IBD sharing

IBD sharing is not equivalent to the first two. It does not indicate the direction of the gene flow, and it could simply be due to remote ancestors that two or more otherwise unrelated peoples had in common.

and while it's certain there was large gene flow FROM Sephardis to Spaniards, I doubt that happened to a large degree the other way around, what do you think?

I think such a claim is quite implausible. Jews were only about 1% of the population of Spain:

"One percent of the population of al-Andalus is estimated to have been Jewish"

http://books.google.com/books?id=7m...lus is estimated to have been Jewish"&f=false

So if anything it was them (and the much ballyhooed "Moors" too, who were only around 5% of the population) who were influenced by the vastly numerically superior native Spaniards, not the other way around. The demographics simply weren't there to support any "large gene flow FROM Sephardis to Spaniards".

IBD sharing is not equivalent to the first two. It does not indicate the direction of the gene flow, and it could simply be due to remote ancestors that two or more otherwise unrelated peoples had in common.

I think such a claim is quite implausible. Jews were only about 1% of the population of Spain:

"One percent of the population of al-Andalus is estimated to have been Jewish"

http://books.google.com/books?id=7m...lus is estimated to have been Jewish"&f=false

So if anything it was them (and the much ballyhooed "Moors" too, who were only around 5% of the population) who were influenced by the vastly numerically superior native Spaniards, not the other way around. The demographics simply weren't there to support any "large gene flow FROM Sephardis to Spaniards".

I see... Thanks for the answer! I suppose it does make more sense the native Spaniards would have influenced the Jews and the Moors more than the other way around, it's not that impossible I must say, especially when talking about Jews, because Jews lived in Iberia at least since the days of the late Roman empire, and I doubt orthodox anti intermingling/converting to Judaism Catholic papacy reached the authority that it did in say early 16th century Iberia back then, especially with the take over of the Arian Visigoths who were quite tolerant of Jews, and most of the latter supported the Visigoths, so there were about 3 centuries for something to happen. Modern mainland Greeks have 6% WHG ancestry, modern NORTHERN Spaniards get 12% WHG and average Spaniards get 7%, therefore it's not that impossible genetically speaking either. This is all speculation but I doubt it's completely implausible. "Ballyhooed Moors", while it's obvious they weren't peace loving perfect hippies, they weren't just blood thirsty barbarians either, but their "golden age" was long gone by the time of the Almoravid dynasty.

Here's the link for my source: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1312/1312.6639.pdf

Alright, thanks. What Gedmatch tells me is genetic similarities with Sicilians/south Italians/Greeks, so while the genetic similarities and gene flow/admixture/IBD sharing is most likely genuine in the case of the last one, I doubt there's clear direct gene flow/admixture/IBD sharing with the first two. Also I sometimes have similarities with Spaniards in mixed populations (usually Valencia Spaniards) also makes me wonder, while it's clear most if not all AJs have been heavily influenced by Sephardi admixture, and while it's certain there was large gene flow FROM Sephardis to Spaniards, I doubt that happened to a large degree the other way around, what do you think?

The Spaniards show up because Ashkenazim & Sephardim stand in between Samaritans/Druze/Mizrahim and Spaniards/North Italians/Portuguese, typical overfit because the oracle is trying to cut your ancestry in neat halves or quarters... Which is idiosyncratic since this model isn't going to tell you much about Jewish genetic history.
So on a contemporary basis, yes it could work, that is to say that the offspring of a Lebanese/Druze/Samaritan & Iberian/North Italian person will end up plotting with Ashkenazim and Sephardim.
However such fits don't tell us anything about the model which lead to the emergence of the Western Jewish cluster... Unless you believe that Ashkenazi-Sephardic ancestry can be resumed as half-Iberian/Italian half-Levantine (which undermines the whole concept of course), I'd ignore that for the time being.

Long story short: Contemporary populations are no substitute for aDNA and shouldn't be used as proxies.

It is interesting that Jewish people all over the world don't descend from the same origin, and they have different haplogroups in their genetic pool. In fact, it is the same with all races on earth, but Judaism seems to focus more on the roots. Though this, it is strange to observe so many varieties of haplogroups among Jewish people. How do you explain this?

Really? Interesting... And what does the "Atlantic" and "West Mediterranean" represent? because I seem to get double the amount of Atlantic from what the average AJ is supposed to get.

Atlantic is Irish/Basque & Breton, all the Atlantic façade.
West Med stands for Sardinian, if I'm not mistaken that is!

It is interesting that Jewish people all over the world don't descend from the same origin, and they have different haplogroups in their genetic pool. In fact, it is the same with all races on earth, but Judaism seems to focus more on the roots. Though this, it is strange to observe so many varieties of haplogroups among Jewish people. How do you explain this?

Actually, what I find even more interesting is the fact that Jews from Tunisia cluster closer to Jews from Russia than to their host population, the opposite is true as well.
In fact, Sephardic & Ashkenazi Jews form a single cluster, have high IBD sharing and have many haplogroups in common:

udy9.png

In fact I could go even further and highlight the fact that Ashkenazi Jews often cluster closer to Mizrahi Jews than to their host populations.

As far as uniparental lineages go, expecting all Jews to belong to a single marker is sheer madness.
Even extremely-inbred groups such as the Samaritans have different uniparental lineages, and no one would even think to deny them a common origin.

The Spaniards show up because Ashkenazim & Sephardim stand in between Samaritans/Druze/Mizrahim and Spaniards/North Italians/Portuguese, typical overfit because the oracle is trying to cut your ancestry in neat halves or quarters... Which is idiosyncratic since this model isn't going to tell you much about Jewish genetic history.
So on a contemporary basis, yes it could work, that is to say that the offspring of a Lebanese/Druze/Samaritan & Iberian/North Italian person will end up plotting with Ashkenazim and Sephardim.
However such fits don't tell us anything about the model which lead to the emergence of the Western Jewish cluster... Unless you believe that Ashkenazi-Sephardic ancestry can be resumed as half-Iberian/Italian half-Levantine (which undermines the whole concept of course), I'd ignore that for the time being.

Long story short: Contemporary populations are no substitute for aDNA and shouldn't be used as proxies.

Nah for AJs Eastern Iberian/Druze combo fits very well. Western Iberians are to much African and North Italians are too much East Med/West Asian. Another god combo is muslim Lebanese/French Basque, but it is less precise.

I see... Thanks for the answer! I suppose it does make more sense the native Spaniards would have influenced the Jews and the Moors more than the other way around, it's not that impossible I must say, especially when talking about Jews, because Jews lived in Iberia at least since the days of the late Roman empire, and I doubt orthodox anti intermingling/converting to Judaism Catholic papacy reached the authority that it did in say early 16th century Iberia back then, especially with the take over of the Arian Visigoths who were quite tolerant of Jews, and most of the latter supported the Visigoths, so there were about 3 centuries for something to happen. Modern mainland Greeks have 6% WHG ancestry, modern NORTHERN Spaniards get 12% WHG and average Spaniards get 7%, therefore it's not that impossible genetically speaking either. This is all speculation but I doubt it's completely implausible. "Ballyhooed Moors", while it's obvious they weren't peace loving perfect hippies, they weren't just blood thirsty barbarians either, but their "golden age" was long gone by the time of the Almoravid dynasty.

Here's the link for my source: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1312/1312.6639.pdf

There's been a number of autosomal studies on the DNA of Jews and I can't remember any that found any particular link between Iberians and any Jewish groups. Greeks and Italians are usually found to be genetically closer to them, but there could be several explanations for this, it does not necessarily have to be Jewish-to-gentile population gene flow. It could for example be the other way around (gentile-to-Jewish population influence), or also a product of both, or perhaps simply a matter of having some remote ancestors in common.

However such fits don't tell us anything about the model which lead to the emergence of the Western Jewish cluster...
Long story short: Contemporary populations are no substitute for aDNA and shouldn't be used as proxies

Exactly so.

Admixture, and PCAs for that matter, are very imperfect tools for figuring out how different clusters formed. Indeed, they are very imperfect even for discovering individual ethnicity. An adoptee searching for information about ancestry who plots in the Balkans could indeed have Balkan ancestry, or could be a product of a British and Ashkenazi union. I know it can happen, because I used to share with someone with that mix who did indeed plot, there.

Absent ancient dna, the best tool we have is IBD analysis, and to the best of my recollection, the most IBD sharing between Ashkenazim/Sephardim and gentile European populations is with Greeks, and secondarily and in a more minor way, with Eastern Europeans.

Nah for AJs Eastern Iberian/Druze combo fits very well. Western Iberians are to much African and North Italians are too much East Med/West Asian. Another god combo is muslim Lebanese/French Basque, but it is less precise.

Western Iberians often show up with Mizrahim, North Italians + Druze is what you observe most of the time.

Lebanese_Muslim + French_Basque also pops up quite a few times.

This thread has been viewed 372481 times.

Back