Possible Habsburg Y-DNA haplogroup

Habsburg Family DNA Project

http://www.geni.com/projects/Habsburg-Family-DNA-Project/3775
A living member of the Habsburg-Lorraine dynasty belongs to haplogroup G2a.
These results are confidential.

Well, according to your link, there are several contradictory results, which also include J2 and R1b-U152. The Habsburg Family Project at FTDNA has 37 members, 27 of whom belong to R1b. R1b1a2a1a1b3c (R1b-U152, L2+) seems to make the consensus. All 20 members with surnames actually related to the Habsburg belong to that exact subclade and share a very close haplotype. That's pretty convincing evidence, I would say.

R1b-U152 would make sense geographically since the Habsburg originated from northern Switzerland, which is a hotspot for U152.

Let's also note that the House of Habsburg-Lorraine is not the same Y-DNA line as the Habsburg. They descend from the Dukes of Lorraine, who themselves descend from the Counts of Metz in the 11th century. The latter descend from Adalard the Counts of Paris. The first count of that lineage, Gerard I (died in 779) is presumed to be the son of Carloman, himself the son of Charles Martel. In other words, the Habsburg-Lorraine could be the Y-DNA line of the Carolingians, whose most prominent member was of course Charlemagne.

The only member of the Habsburg Project related to the Habsburg-Lorraine is also the only one with a slightly different haplotype, though he also belongs to R1b-U152. That, on the other hand, would be highly unlikely for the Carolingians if they were indeed of patrilineal Germanic descent. It is not impossible though. The first documented Carolingian was Pepin of Landen, born in 580, many centuries after the Franks settled in modern Belgium. It cannot be ruled out that Pepin was paternally descended from an assimilated Gallo-Roman rather than a German.

The Carolingian came from the region of Liège, which based on the current data has the highest frequency of R1b-U152 in Belgium (40% !) and the highest north of the Alps. Such a frequency, over twice the national average for Belgium, could be explained if a very influential noble lineage (namely the Carolingians) left a lot of descendants in the region. When we know that Charlemagne alone had at least 20 children with four wives and five known concubines, that could indeed be a possibility.

Maciamo,

"The only member of the Habsburg Project related to the Habsburg-Lorraine is also the only one with a slightly different haplotype, though he also belongs to R1b-U152."

Which member is it?

Also is there a Habsburg-Lorraine project?

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any Habsburg autosomal data available some place on the internet? I would guess not, but still I thought I'd ask. :)

Well, according to your link, there are several contradictory results, which also include J2 and R1b-U152. The Habsburg Family Project at FTDNA has 37 members, 27 of whom belong to R1b. R1b1a2a1a1b3c (R1b-U152, L2+) seems to make the consensus. All 20 members with surnames actually related to the Habsburg belong to that exact subclade and share a very close haplotype. That's pretty convincing evidence, I would say.

R1b-U152 would make sense geographically since the Habsburg originated from northern Switzerland, which is a hotspot for U152.

Let's also note that the House of Habsburg-Lorraine is not the same Y-DNA line as the Habsburg. They descend from the Dukes of Lorraine, who themselves descend from the Counts of Metz in the 11th century. The latter descend from Adalard the Counts of Paris. The first count of that lineage, Gerard I (died in 779) is presumed to be the son of Carloman, himself the son of Charles Martel. In other words, the Habsburg-Lorraine could be the Y-DNA line of the Carolingians, whose most prominent member was of course Charlemagne.

The only member of the Habsburg Project related to the Habsburg-Lorraine is also the only one with a slightly different haplotype, though he also belongs to R1b-U152. That, on the other hand, would be highly unlikely for the Carolingians if they were indeed of patrilineal Germanic descent. It is not impossible though. The first documented Carolingian was Pepin of Landen, born in 580, many centuries after the Franks settled in modern Belgium. It cannot be ruled out that Pepin was paternally descended from an assimilated Gallo-Roman rather than a German.

The Carolingian came from the region of Liège, which based on the current data has the highest frequency of R1b-U152 in Belgium (40% !) and the highest north of the Alps. Such a frequency, over twice the national average for Belgium, could be explained if a very influential noble lineage (namely the Carolingians) left a lot of descendants in the region. When we know that Charlemagne alone had at least 20 children with four wives and five known concubines, that could indeed be a possibility.

Leopold (the Good), Duke of Lorraine
-Francis I m. Maria Theresa (daughter of Emperor Charles VI) to form the Habsburg-Lothringen (Lorraine) dynasty.

The Y-DNA came from Francis I, while the Habsburg surname came from Maria Theresa.

We have another possible candidate in the I-M223 Project:

A von Habsburg-Lothringen / Motycki at

CV-Cont2b -2.5.1.2.2.0.4- M223>...>CTS1977>Y4946>Y5282>Y11919>M2379>S8522* (Group 2e1, Unknown 4, DYS385=9-14) -test Big Y, confirmed S8522+

Good night maciamo , One of the main haplogroups of the House of Habsburg is R-L2, is that right? Do you already have any confirmation?

Leopold (the Good), Duke of Lorraine
-Francis I m. Maria Theresa (daughter of Emperor Charles VI) to form the Habsburg-Lothringen (Lorraine) dynasty.

The Y-DNA came from Francis I, while the Habsburg surname came from Maria Theresa.

We have another possible candidate in the I-M223 Project:

A von Habsburg-Lothringen / Motycki at

CV-Cont2b -2.5.1.2.2.0.4- M223>...>CTS1977>Y4946>Y5282>Y11919>M2379>S8522* (Group 2e1, Unknown 4, DYS385=9-14) -test Big Y, confirmed S8522+
haplogroup from house of habsburg is R-L2?

haplogroup from house of habsburg is R-L2?
"Let's also note that the House of Habsburg-Lorraine is not the same Y-DNA line as the Habsburg. They descend from the Dukes of Lorraine, who themselves descend from the Counts of Metz in the 11th century." - Maciamo.

This thread has been viewed 14255 times.

Back