Haplogroup of people who developed the culture at Lepen Whirl-Serbia 7 millennia ago?

Garrick

Reaction score
Questions about people in the past and their haplogroups are always interesting. For me it is one of dilemmas
which haplogroup were belonged members of culture Lepenski Vir (Lepen Whirl). This culture originated about 9,000 years ago (7,000 BC), reaching the peak between 5,300 BC and 4,800 BC, in eastern Serbia on the banks of the Danube.

jr_08_2013_5_05_b.jpg

Lepenski Vir (Lepen Whirl) Wikipedia (quote):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepenski_Vir

"Archaeological findings in the surrounding area show evidence of temporary settlements, probably built for the purpose of hunting and gathering of food or raw materials. This suggests a complex semi-nomadic economy with managed exploitation of resources in the area not immediately surrounding the village, something remarkable for the traditional view of Mesolithic people of Europe. More complexity in an economy leads to professional specialization and thus to social differentiation.

This is clearly evident in the layout of the Lepenski Vir Ia-e settlement. The village is well planned. All houses are built according to one complex geometric pattern. These remains of houses constitute the distinct Lepenski Vir architecture, one of the important achievements of this culture. The main layout of the village is clearly visible. The dead were buried outside the village in an elaborate cemetery. The only exceptions were apparently a few notable elders who were buried behind the fireplaces in houses, according to a religious ritual.

The complex social structure was dominated by a religion which probably served as a binding force for the community and a means of coordination of activity for its members. Numerous sacral objects that were discovered in this layer support this theory. The most remarkable examples are piscine sculptures, unique to the Lepenski Vir culture, which represent one of the first examples of monumental sacral art on European soil."

I'd like to hear opinions about the possible haplogroup of these peoples. Some skeletons of these people have been saved and it may be possible to determine the haplogroup.

jr_08_2013_5_01_b.jpg

As I understood Maciamo, he said that we are about the experience a period of extensive genetic analysis of old organic remnants, which will help us reordering things.

Anyway, from the similarities of old Linear(Crete/Peloponese) letters with Vinca symbols, and the theories of E-V13 push into Europe through Crete, along with genetic similarities found between Albanian and Peloponnesian population, I had a (long shot) thesis that it could have all been remnants of old E-V13 culture.

Nowdays, the table has turned the other way, and claims are that Mycenaeans were of R1a origin.

Wrong. Wrong. The Mycenaeans WHERE the E3b men; but they moved from Egypt across the Middle East and possibly crossed Thrace ( they where NOT the I2a thracians) into Greece. From here they descended south and whipped out the J2 Minoans. There is very little E3b on Crete. When the later incoming Dorians would arrive from the north, (continental European R1b men possibly R1a substratum) they would, in turn, whipe out and assimilate the Mycenaeans as the latter had done to the preceding Minoans.

Maybe this website can be helpful for discussion above:

http://herebedragons.weebly.com/y-dna.html

"The Mycenaeans could have brought some R1b1b2 to Greece, but their origins can be traced back to the Seima-Turbino culture of the northern forest steppe, which would make them primarily an R1a1a tribe."

But I don't see link between Lepen Whirl inhabitants and Mycenaeans.

Unless someone thinks that Lepen Whirl population could be R1a?

No, I made the link by thinking that whole Balkan was E-V13 some 8000 years ago, and that Vinca symbols, Linear A and Linear B could be connected with them. I also said that it was a long shot, and that I don't find plausible anymore, but I still think there is some sort of connections between those systems of writing/coding.

No, I made the link by thinking that whole Balkan was E-V13 some 8000 years ago, and that Vinca symbols, Linear A and Linear B could be connected with them. I also said that it was a long shot, and that I don't find plausible anymore, but I still think there is some sort of connections between those systems of writing/coding.

No, Lepen Whirl inhabitants possible were not E1b1b (E-V13) carriers. Because carriers of E1b1b was early farmers but Lepen Whirl inhabitants were descedents of hunter gatherer culture. Also Lepen Whirl inhabitants are descedents culture from the end of the last ice age and, the assumption is, from areas today's Czech Republic. E1b1b carriers came to the Balkans later and from Middle East. But researches will show right picture.

Do we have any Y-DNA results?

Yes, I definitely know we have at least one from Lepenski vir.
I was sad to hear that this summer budget was cut down for Vinca, and the research stopped.

They are trying to get some money from Europa Nostra to continue their work, but I see no reason why DNA analysis can't be done, for they are not as expensive as excavations.

Yes, I definitely know we have at least one from Lepenski vir.
I was sad to hear that this summer budget was cut down for Vinca, and the research stopped.

They are trying to get some money from Europa Nostra to continue their work, but I see no reason why DNA analysis can't be done, for they are not as expensive as excavations.

Yes, Y-DNA haplogroup analysis can be performed. But it's hard to say without research about haplogroup. I like to hear different opinions.

It is interesting what were the houses. This is reconstruction of houses at Lepen Whirl.

View attachment 6013

quote form text The cultural phenomenon of Lepenski Vir (lepen Whirl)

"Commenting on the traces of burning in the house, Pavlović (architect) stated that what was assumed to be a fireplace was actually a hearth, that is, a fire pit. In fact, amber was smoldered with ashes in order to manage the fire safely without the risk of chocking from the smoke. It is believed that the task of keeping the fire burning was an extremely important and responsible one. According to Pavlović the evidence of burning near the entrance shows the exact location of the fireplace which provided an excellent protection from unwanted animals and evil spirits- fire functioning as a door. Cavemen used this type of protection in the Stone Age. Insufficient traces of roof structure indicate that it was lightweight, made from reed, mud or woven branches."

I think that Lepen Whirl inhabitants were I2 carriers. And the skeletons that are founded in the site Lepenski Vir with the population of Serbia had about 80% of the same genes.

This thread has been viewed 9395 times.

Back