Politics Should EU Continue to Expand?

intorg

Reaction score
Today consisting 28 member states the European Union is the biggest economic cooperation in the world. Following the WWII, in 1957 started with the European Coal and Steel Community with the Treaty of Rome, it first evolved into EEC (European Economic Community) and finally to its recent formation of "European Union" with Maastricht Treaty. The primary aim of the community was to end the struggles in Europe which harmed too much and caused two big world wars.

With customs union, there is free movement of the goods and labour between the member states. EU has its own legislative institutions like the European Parliament, The Council of the European Union, the European Commission, Court of Justice of European Union...etc. With well established economical and governmental institutions, functional regulations and monetary union (eurozone) today EU is the biggest rivals of the USA, China, Japan and India in economical and political terms which produces 20% of global gross domestic product. After the addition of Croatia in 2013, all member states can be stated as: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria,Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece,Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland,Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

The bolded ones are also NATO members. Switzerland and Norway refused to enter to the EU mostly of economical concerns.

As specified above the last member was Croatia which was accepted in 2013. The question here now, will the European Union continue to expand or is this addition would be the last one? Has EU a policy towards Serbia, Macedonia, Azerbaijan and Turkey? Will these countries also be able to join the EU or wait some more time?

http://irglobal.blogspot.com/

I believe that the EU will continue to expand.

I think that Turkey should join the EU (and I am of Greek descent, so that is saying a lot). Serbia, I think that after sufficient judicial and political reforms, they should join as well. Azerbaijan, on the other hand...

Azerbaijan has a lot of issues, but once they are resolved, then they should join too.

Macedonia should not join the EU. The government of that country spreads anti-Greek propaganda, and acts as if Greek history were it's own. Macedonia needs to change their name too. Perhaps Slavia, or Slavicia, or similar. But the name Macedonia has been taken for thousands of years by an area of Greece.

I think other countries should join as well, including Commonwelath countries, Hispanophone countries, etc. Morocco should join as well.

Enlargement of the EU is for the benefit of Europe, and the benefit of Earth.

Belarus and Ukraine should join the EU for sure.

Belarus and Ukraine should join the EU for sure.
They are too poor to join any time soon. However lots should be don't to help and guid Ukraine to economic prosperity first.

Only Ukraine is too poor, but not Belarus, I think.
Not only Belarus is too poor to join but also is politically very backward.

Belarus is richer than some countries which are already in the EU, such as Romania and Bulgaria.

What does it mean "politically very backward"? Yes it is ruled by a dictator, so is North Korea.

But once they get rid of their dictator (if they really don't like him), then what's the problem.

Belarus is richer than some countries which are already in the EU, such as Romania and Bulgaria.
I see they did some progress recently, however it is hard to believe statistics coming from a dictator.

What does it mean "politically very backward"? Yes it is ruled by a dictator, so is North Korea.
That's the point. North Korea has the worst human rights violations, starving population, enslaved population who can't leave the country, etc. It is not that bad in Belarus, but a dictator is a big no no.

But once they get rid of their dictator (if they really don't like him), then what's the problem.
I'm sure they will be in European Union one day. For now they would rather belong to Russian Federation.

What do they think about recent Russia-Ukraine conflict?

The EU will see expansion come to a halt if it hasn't already, because of problems in Brussels and the cultural differences of the east.

This thread has been viewed 10152 times.

Back