Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Traveling in europe...?

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 0%

Traveling in europe...?

I want to plan a trip to travel the world next year, however I would like to buy a bicycle and bike across Europe while I am there and camp. If camping is not possible, I would just stop at a hostel or b&b and stay the night. Do people ride bikes to other countries if they live close by? Is this allowed? How would I check in with my passport and visa?

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 4.0%

i like Europe tour. it have much collection of things to see and observe.

Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 98

Hi! You can easily ride bycicle all over Europe. In all cities in Germany, Italy, Sweden. There's plenty of places to rent it in every city. As for the destinations - I would advise you to visit Stockholm. It is an awesome, beautiful city, bycicle-friendly with lots of great things to see. I can recommend a nice place to stay - Acco Hostel. It is one the cheapest hostels in Stockholm and you can rent a bike from hostel. I stayed in the place myself that is why recommend it. Best wishes for your trip and good luck!

Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 - E-L542
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Quote Originally Posted by heiwu View Post
    I want to plan a trip to travel the world next year, however I would like to buy a bicycle and bike across Europe while I am there and camp. If camping is not possible, I would just stop at a hostel or b&b and stay the night. Do people ride bikes to other countries if they live close by? Is this allowed? How would I check in with my passport and visa?
    Netherlands is the most bicycle friendly in the world and so are many countries around it especially Scandinavia and also Germany. Terrain is also flat in many of these cities in these areas were cycling is part of the culture. I don't know for how long a visa would be valid, and the amount of time you plan to spend in relation to how many places you like to visit, but traveling through Schengen countries should be no problem crossing the borders. That includes countries out of the EU which are Iceland, Norway and Switzerland but unfortunately excludes the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

I would suggest you get short side trips on low cost airlines with cheap accomodation you can easily book on the internet in many other cities to make the most of it and see much more once you are here. Have a great trip!

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18

I agree with Ellie - you should definitely visit Stockholm! I recommend for biking - Djuegarden and Ralambshov parks. As for accommodation Kungsholmen is very convenient - there are a lot of cafes, you can easily reach shops on Sodermalm from there, especially with a bike and also my favorite hostel is located there - it's Lodge32. I'm not sure if they still have the service but some time ago they had bikes for rent.

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 81

In this case I'd prefer using my bike and spend nights at a tent. I like this kind of travelling.

Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 7.0%

I would add croatian coast to your trip plan, definitely one of the nicest sightseeing tour I had, went there last year by car (a bit easier :) ) and decided I will do it with bike next time. due to weather and terrain, sleeping in tent also shouldn't be a problem...
    Flagadorm.com - Book your accommodation in student dorms and youth hostels and get great discounts in local restaurants, pubs and nightclubs. Find your Flagadorm.com
    coupon and save the rest for fun!

Regular Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37

Europeans love bicycles, and they are often genuinely impressed when they encounter that rare American who rejects the view from train windows in favor of huffing and puffing through their country on two wheels. Your bike provides the perfect bridge over a host of cultural and language barriers. planning your own bike tour can reduce costs, allow flexibility for route changes, get you off the beaten path, and make you proud to be self-reliant. And although there isn’t a SAG wagon, you aren't on a completely unsupported tour: Europe has a well-developed rail network, lots of campgrounds and bike shops, accurate maps, and delicious food in every town. And it is an excellent place to start touring on your own.
    www.airport-transfer724.com