How to distinguish the Y-DNA of various Germanic invaders in England ?

Some bits here on changes in pronunciation of "g" and "j" over time

http://www.tha-engliscan-gesithas.org.uk/gegaderung/index.php?topic=357.0

seems at least possible to me that "Angles, Saxons and Jutes" could have been "Angles, Saxons and Geats" wit the "Geats" referring to Jutland / Southern Sweden?

Seems possible. Afterall there seems to have been a significant Frisian contribution but they go unmentioned in most historical texts, and some earlier authors have considered the possibility of a small contingent of Wends as well, or perhaps scattered amongst other groups, based on archaeological finds and place-names. So Jutes being Geats seems plausible. I've also heard it mentioned that they could actually be something to do with the Salian Franks, due to some clear evidence of archaeology of that group in the areas that the Jutes were said to be. And of course U152 is also higher in those parts of the south-east. In that case U152 there might be due to both Belgae and a bit due to Franks. Although more likely this is a trade-cultural-geographical connection, as specifically Scandinavian archaeology has also been associated with those areas (and also in Anglian areas, but not really in Saxon/Frisian areas).

Seems possible. Afterall there seems to have been a significant Frisian contribution but they go unmentioned in most historical texts, and some earlier authors have considered the possibility of a small contingent of Wends as well, or perhaps scattered amongst other groups, based on archaeological finds and place-names. So Jutes being Geats seems plausible. I've also heard it mentioned that they could actually be something to do with the Salian Franks, due to some clear evidence of archaeology of that group in the areas that the Jutes were said to be. And of course U152 is also higher in those parts of the south-east. In that case U152 there might be due to both Belgae and a bit due to Franks. Although more likely this is a trade-cultural-geographical connection, as specifically Scandinavian archaeology has also been associated with those areas (and also in Anglian areas, but not really in Saxon/Frisian areas).

IIRC according to Bede the Jutes/Geats settled in Kent.

This thread has been viewed 27606 times.

Back