Guess the Y-haplogroup(s) of Mesolithic Iberians (Braña 1 & 2)

What Y-DNA haplogroup(s) will be found in the Mesolithic Iberian samples?

• Total voters
sorry, so far everyone is wrong. You have 10 more days for guessing the right answer...

If you are in fact a person in the know, and if we're to take your comment literally, it has to be either J2 or R1b L11-, since they're the only two nobody has chosen so far. But I don't see either haplotype as being likely for Iberia in the Mesolithic. Watch me have to eat my words in about ten days.

If you are in fact a person in the know, and if we're to take your comment literally, it has to be either J2 or R1b L11-, since they're the only two nobody has chosen so far.

He is in the know. And you're forgetting C and "other" (except for K, which Sile guessed as his other).

In case anybody is wondering, this guy's email checks out. He's the real deal and would know what the results of the upcoming study are.

I'd also guess C out of those that haven't been chosen yet, perhaps C-V20 or a relative of it.
Is that a perfect proof?

I double checked, and indeed only C, J2 and R1b L11 haven't been picked. So...

Unless, of course, it's "other" because it's something like an E1b1a or something even older, like a San type y dna signature.

sorry, so far everyone is wrong. You have 10 more days for guessing the right answer...

If we are all wrong so far... I will guess that one will be somewhere in the hg. A to hg. E sprectrum, and the second would be in the hg. F to hg. R1b range. :)

He is in the know. And you're forgetting C and "other" (except for K, which Sile guessed as his other).

Yes, I missed the fact that nobody here chose C, but some folks have chosen "other", although our friend could have disregarded that as a category because it isn't specific enough. And are you forgetting that La Brana had blue eyes, or do you consider that to be in the realm of possibility for a Mesolithic C? I guess blue eyes makes T dubious as well, now that I think of it. But I'm still having trouble reconciling blue eyes to the autosomal analysis and getting anything other than maybe I2. We will see, once the info is released.

C is getting better…but it was obvious nobody had chosen it. Maybe we can guess the subhaplogroup?

C is getting better…but it was obvious nobody had chosen it. Maybe we can guess the subhaplogroup?

Was I right with V20?

that was quick!

:cool-v:

I knew that subclade was ancient in Europe! We've talked about it before on the Eupedia forums here and elsewhere.

Closing the polling. We lose this time... tough luck after having gotten more than half to guess correctly about Ötzi's haplogroup when that came out!

Wow, that is freakishly old haplogroup! Iberia is a specific place. Last Neanderthal had died there, now we've found the last of Cro Magnon hiding there.:67:

Okay, I did not see that one coming. And it does make me wonder how old the blue eye thing is if this guy was a leftover from the Cro-Mags.

What?? Hg C in Mesolithic Iberians; wow I'm speechless and this has rattled my previous understanding of early European genetics. Found in Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Siberia and western North America. How is C even a possible option lol; as far away as Iberia??

What?? Hg C in Mesolithic Iberians; wow I'm speechless and this has rattled my previous understanding of early European genetics. Found in Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Siberia and western North America. How is C even a possible option lol; as far away as Iberia??
Because C is very ancient, possibly 70k years old one of first people out of Africa. That's why it can be found around the world. I think V20 is European offshoot of C.

I know C is ancient; old news. Is V20 still found in European populations today? If so it must represent an abysmally low amount of European lineages far inferior to 1%.

I know C is ancient; old news. Is V20 still found in European populations today? If so it must represent an abysmally low amount of European lineages far inferior to 1%.

Yeah, it's quite rare nowadays, but it's been known about for a while. V20 is actually the only C branch that is unique to Europe, and it's not particularly closely related to anything else, with the closest related subclade being the apparently Jomon Japanese C-M8 subclade. Hence speculation that it's at least as old in Europe as Haplogroup I.

The C Project has a few samples. They call it "C1a2" there. Geographic locations are Ireland, UK, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Greece, Ukraine, Italy, and, intriguingly, Spain.

There very first European y-DNA group I guess? But the question is how did it survive? Where did it come from to Spain?

This thread has been viewed 2215155 times.

Back