Eclectic interests of oriental.

Elvis Jailhouse rock:

Loving You:

I was a preteen when I saw this flick in Calcutta. When Elvis appeared on the screen all the girls started screaming and I couldn't understand why. In Hong Kong his nickname is "Mau Wong" Mau (pussy cat) Wong (king) or King of the Cats. I think his co-star in "Loving You" was Dolores Hart who entered the convent as a nun. Elvis' rival was Pat Boone at the time (hard to believe now).

Love me tender:

Somehow I got mixed and thought this was the movie I saw but it was not as I remember Wendell corey and Delores Hart in it in Technicolor so it was "Loving You". I checked Google and realized it was probably the song that confused me as a family friend was an Elvis and that how I saw the Elvis movie. It was so long ago.

I also saw this movie and didn't realize it was the start of Rock and Roll:

James Brown as a minister in Blues Brothers:

Elvis' first appearance in Ed Sullivan show in 1956 to sing Love Me Tender that changed the movie title to "Love me Tender" as a result of the 1 million record sale after the show.

Aretha Franklin with Hooker:

Elvis shaking legs in Love me tender:

Blues Brothers car chase in mall:

Ray Charles of "Hit the road Jack, don't you come back no more, no more":

Last edited:
Stand by your man:

Blues Brothers - Ghost Riders in the sky:

Love Me Tender in Italian(?):

Songs from Love Me Tender which were included after Elvis appeared in Ed Sullivan Show and racked up 1 million record sale. This set Elvis' future i.e. the formula of four or five songs in his movies and title of the movie being the same as the main song. It may have also led to Bollywood song and dance culture as Raj Kapoor more or less copied Hollywood with Charlie Chaplin tramp character and now the song and dance inclusion in Bollywood movies. Musicals were big during the Depression years in the 30s and India having so many in poverty also needed movies that entertained.

I wonder if this reflects on the teenage girls depressive state as they flocked to Elvis and the Beatles songs. Feminism didn't start until the 60s with Betty Friedan and Gloria Steinem leading the way in the States. This is just my simple view of this complex issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/living/sixties-women-5-things/

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/05/28/10-things-that-american-women-could-not-do-before-the-1970s/

The end scene

Last edited:
Here is a colorized version of his singing on a platform:

This thread has been viewed 305885 times.

Back