Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-Celto-Germanic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-S17721 (U-106)
mtDNA haplogroup
X2j
Greetings! I tested with Nat Geo Genome and my results are R-Z14. I have been trying to find out as much as possible on the origin of R-Z14 and which countries its most common in presently. Any help or info would be great!

Hi! I'll try to help you as best I can.
I searched a bit on google and came to this:

According to ISOGG.org: http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpR.html you belong to haplogroup: R1b1a2a1a1b1 also known as Z14.
Unfortunately, I found very little information about this haplogroup.

According Eupedia.com / genetics: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.shtml, your haplogroup (Z14) is categorized under proto-Germanic roots. There is an image that you can look at. In my opinion this haplogroup should be 'typical' in North-West Europe.

Thanks for your help Gashi! I always knew I was 'typical' lol. I've found something on R-Z18 being "the North Sea Tribe" and it probably separated 1500-2000 years ago from U-106. R-Z14 separated maybe 1500-1000?. It's all off the top of my head because I'm being too lazy to check. I'm wondering how widespread R-Z18 was during and after the fall of Rome. Was it relegated to the north sea or was it spread out east and west with the rest of U-106. I'm finding R-Z14 in the low countries, eastern England, lowlands Scotland (I wonder if any in the Hebrides?), northern Ireland, Denmark, Noway, Sweden, interestingly enough in Hungary, France, Calabria/Sicily, Crete, and in parts of Russia. Is this 'clasical germanic invasion" activity or Viking? Any input?

What does R-Z14 mean?

Hello,

I just did the NatGeo testing too and was assigned to Z14. I am understanding some, but I am very confused as to which groups are related how and how closely. I've gathered that R1b is a major group and Z14 is the terminating mutation, but how does this translate to traditional genealogy. If I, and Auld Reekie are both Z14 does that mean we're probably 2-4th cousins, or does it depend on when that last mutation was (i.e., who knows?).

When I look at the Haplotree my eyes cross (maybe it's my dyslexia?), but what I am gathering is:

Main group = R1b
ftdnaNatGeo
Sub group 1
Sub group 2
Sub group 3
Sub group 4
Sub group 5
Sub group 6
Sub group 7
Sub group 8
Sub group 9
Sub group 10
Sub group 11
Sub group 12
Sub group 13
Sub group 14
M207
M173
M343
L389
P297
CTS623
M269
L150
L23
L51
L151
P311
U106
Z14
P305
M42
M168
P143
M89
M578
P128
M526
M45
M207
P231
M343
M269
P310
U106

- Why the differences between ftdna and natgeo? I see 3 that are more common (U106, M269 and M343) in both lists, but the lists are obviously different... and where does R1b1a2a1a1b1 come in (other than being = to Z14)?
- Also, I did a search of my matches in ftdna and sorted by y-dna, and a lot of M269 came up - does this mean I am matching them by my ydna? (Note: I did my autosomal througn ancestry.com and transferred to ftdna before the natgeo test).
.......... I have tons of questions - can anyone answer these and/or direct me to some good (non-technical) articles so I can get a "for dummies" understanding?

Thank You!

This thread has been viewed 10433 times.

Back