The best European anthem

Which country's anthem you like the most?

• Austria

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Belgium

• United Kingdom

• Denmark

• Finland

• France

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Germany

• Greece

• Hungary

• Ukraine

• Italy

• Sweden

• Netherlands

• Norway

• Poland

• Portugal

• Romania

• Russia

• Spain

• Other

• Total voters
The German Anthem. It has a nice Hollywood feel to it. I can imagine it being played in Braveheart after a battle. Most of the other anthems I picture Aladeen marching down Times Square as The Dictator, lol. No disrespect to anyone's anthem, but it's my first impression. It's difficult not to think how silly other national anthems are, seeing how socially conditioned one's own anthem is.

The funny thing about the current German anthem is that it used to be (the melody) that of the Austro-Hungarian Empire where as the German Empire 1871-1918 anthem was (the melody) as that of the British;

Austria-Hungary (Kaiserhymne)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06643umEJZg

As for Hollywood and anthems...Hollywood has always done well by the Marseillaise...

I just noticed that Rainaert posted Benigni's emotional rendition of Fratelli d'Italia...many thanks.

There are those who think we should 'go back', sort of, to Va Pensiero from Nabucco. Here it is under the direction of the great Riccardo Muti...would that they would listen with their hearts and their souls, and not just their ears.

Of course, I have discovered that for some foreigners, this should be the anthem of Italy:

I've always wanted to know...do crowds like this have any clue what he's singing, or how it was originally meant to be understood?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqnEy8iGZOA

Maltese national anthem (Innu Malti).

This thread has been viewed 21524 times.

Back