Eurovision 2014

Echetlaeus

Hero of Marathon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Epirotan
Your bets please !

I like Norway. Quite touching ...

Italy is my favorite, I like Norway song too. All in all the live interpretation makes a big difference to the recorded versions. Some song that sound great recorded can be a flop in the night of the festival.

Italian may be good a song (If I understand correct the title means "My city").

Another point of Eurovision is if we really need to have English songs or use the mother language. I dunno, more or less everything seems the same.

Italian may be good a song (If I understand correct the title means "My city").

Another point of Eurovision is if we really need to have English songs or use the mother language. I dunno, more or less everything seems the same.

Myself I prefer everyone sings in their mother tongue, but it seems that there has been some kind of agreement to let everyone free and chose the language they want. In this case the most chosen is English. Many singers and composers find the festival as a good exposure to become popular on a European level or maybe internationally. Celine Dion sang in French at the festival but now sings in English for international audiences. The Lingua Franka issue again comes to mind :rolleyes:

Myself I prefer everyone sings in their mother tongue, but it seems that there has been some kind of agreement to let everyone free and chose the language they want. In this case the most chosen is English. Many singers and composers find the festival as a good exposure to become popular on a European level or maybe internationally. Celine Dion sang in French at the festival but now sings in English for international audiences. The Lingua Franka issue again comes to mind :rolleyes:

Celine Dion is a Quebec francophone who's fully bilingual and speaks excellent English, so singing in both French and English comes naturally to her. French is her native language but English is the language of the world she operates in most of the time (the U.S. entertainment world, where all the money is for performers).

I'm going to be an obnoxious contrarian again.
grin.png

Italy should go back to ignoring it. The only reason they're back is for political reasons, for this whole let's all be Europeans together stuff. Most of it is derivative junk sung in badly accented English.

Plus, the whole voting system is rigged so that the results reflect regional loyalties more than the quality of the singer or the song.

As to Emma Marrone, I like her better as a "personality" than as a singer. In particular, like a lot of young performers, what sounds ok in the studio version is pretty bad when sung live.

I'm going to be an obnoxious contrarian again.
grin.png

Italy should go back to ignoring it. The only reason they're back is for political reasons, for this whole let's all be Europeans together stuff. Most of it is derivative junk sung in badly accented English.

Plus, the whole voting system is rigged so that the results reflect regional loyalties more than the quality of the singer or the song.

As to Emma Marrone, I like her better as a "personality" than as a singer. In particular, like a lot of young performers, what sounds ok in the studio version is pretty bad when sung live.

Why didn't Italy participate all of these years in the first place? Rumor has it that you did not participate because people were obsessed to be in top 5 in every contest, is that correct?

Celine Dion is a Quebec francophone who's fully bilingual and speaks excellent English, so singing in both French and English comes naturally to her. French is her native language but English is the language of the world she operates in most of the time (the U.S. entertainment world, where all the money is for performers).

and so many others if they want to make it internationally. However the eurovision song festival seemed to have more character when countries sang in their own languages.

and so many others if they want to make it internationally. However the eurovision song festival seemed to have more character when countries sang in their own languages.

That doesn't quite explain why Celine Dion was singing for Switzerland. And, if I remember right, the person who wrote the song was a Swiss citizen of Turkish descent. Quite a tossed salad of nationality for a contest that's supposedly about nations competing against one another. It think the whole thing illustrates how silly that "competing nations" concept is.

Eurovision shows quite well your friends and your foes ...

That doesn't quite explain why Celine Dion was singing for Switzerland. And, if I remember right, the person who wrote the song was a Swiss citizen of Turkish descent. Quite a tossed salad of nationality for a contest that's supposedly about nations competing against one another. It think the whole thing illustrates how silly that "competing nations" concept is.

and that was a time when the festival was still very aborigine (with a few exceptions such as this one) in its roots, but today its free for all, composers can submit their song in any participant country and in any language (English always preferred with those who do not sing in their mother tongue ). Singers however been more or less consistent as being locals (or born to immigrants but living in the participating country) or emigrants from the participating countries. (Did Celien Dion have her origins in French speaking part of Switzerland maybe? I really dunno.)

Echetlaeus said:
Eurovision shows quite well your friends and your foes ...

That looks very obvious, however to be fair good songs always get some kind of votes from a good number of countries therefore pushing the song to higher levels. The most obvious tho is Greece to Cyprus and Cyprus to Greece ..and Scandinavian countries followed by the Balkan groups....oh Forgot Portugal to Spain and Spain to Portugal :grin:

This thread has been viewed 6900 times.

Back