Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: J. Robert Oppenheimer belonged to Y-DNA haplogroup Q1b

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Arrow J. Robert Oppenheimer belonged to Y-DNA haplogroup Q1b

I was compiling a list of common Ashkenazi Jewish surnames and their dominant Y-haplogroups when I found the Oppenheimer DNA Project. The original Oppenheimer family from the Rhineland-Palatinate appears to have belonged to Q1b. I verified the genealogy of the American theoretical physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer (of the Manhattan Project) and he is descended from Juda Löb Oppenheim from Worms. There are five project members belonging to Q1b, including two that claim descend from Juda Löb Oppenheim from Worms. So unless the genealogy is mistaken or a recent non-paternity event happened, we can assume that the father of the atomic bomb belonged to Q1b.

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Elite member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV2a1 +G13708A

Ethnic group
    Kurdish

Isn't Q1b the subclade which is pretty common among Iranic speakers?

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Isn't Q1b the subclade which is pretty common among Iranic speakers?
    Q1b is the branch that expanded from Central Asia to Iran and the Near East during the Bronze Age IE migrations. It was a minor Mongoloid lineage picked up by R1a Indo-Iranian tribes and is now found at low frequencies everywhere in the Middle East where R1a is present. Q1b is found in 2-3% in Jews and other Levantines.
    Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Elite member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV2a1 +G13708A

Ethnic group
    Kurdish

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Q1b is the branch that expanded from Central Asia to Iran and the Near East during the Bronze Age IE migrations. It was a minor Mongoloid lineage picked up by R1a Indo-Iranian tribes and is now found at low frequencies everywhere in the Middle East where R1a is present. Q1b is found in 2-3% in Jews and other Levantines.

What do you think about the theory that Ashkenazi Jews are descend of the Western Parthians. Ashkan was the selve designation of the Parthians.