The Byzantine Empire must be revived

I said this:
Also Albanians and Bosnians are mostly Muslims, they wouldn't be glad to hear you want it back in Christian hands.

Then you said this:
They were Christians before. They will become again.

So I pointed your intolerance, by recalling few ancient Greeks and their tolerance, and that their philosophy is not in agreement with yours. By this you got offended. lol
So this is my fault that you have different philosophy than Alexander? Go ahead, change your views, and be in agreement with him, because Alexander can't.

BTW, I feel offended by this statement, as being a direct and personal attack to my personality. To whom should I talk about this, so he will make you more tolerant about others' opinion and at the same time more respectful? Being a mod you should understand these stuff I suppose.
If you can't stomach this civilized critique of your views perhaps you should avoid talking to people. You don't expect people agreeing with you all the time just not to hurt your feelings, right?

I said this:

Then you said this:

So I pointed your intolerance, by recalling few ancient Greeks and their tolerance, and that their philosophy is not in agreement with yours. By this you got offended. lol
So this is my fault that you have different philosophy than Alexander? Go ahead, change your views, and be in agreement with him, because Alexander can't.

If you can't stomach this civilized critique of your views perhaps you should avoid talking to people. You don't expect people agreeing with you all the time just not to hurt your feelings, right?

LOL, just lol at you who pretend to be the civilised one.

And the Greeks did not tolerate the others. They just did that to maintain the power in the beginning. Eventually the Greek civilisation would rule out or be part of the barbaric ones. 'Barbaric' is the word that my ancestors would use for these kind of cases. Please do not say that it is not politically correct.

I hope you understand how Albanians and Bozniaks became Christians, then Muslims, then Atheists, and eventually returned in the old status quo.

I expect people to say their logical arguments, not to criticize just for the fun of it.

Actually I do not like your irony.

And the Greeks did not tolerate the others. They just did that to maintain the power in the beginning. Eventually the Greek civilisation would rule out or be part of the barbaric ones. 'Barbaric' is the word that my ancestors would use for these kind of cases. Please do not say that it is not politically correct.
Are you more tolerant in your views than Alexander, Socrates or Hypatia?

I hope you understand how Albanians and Bozniaks became Christians, then Muslims, then Atheists, and eventually returned in the old status quo.
Their past is not in question here. Why do you want them to become christians again?

I expect people to say their logical arguments, not to criticize just for the fun of it.
When you have your own website you will introduce your rules, ok?

Actually I do not like your irony.
I don't like your points of view at all, but guess what, you still posting here.

You remember that the richest part of Europe through all Middle Ages were Islamic Al Andalus with biggest city in Europe Cordoba, till it was destroyed and million books burned by Christians?

Ye I remember that some peoples were very culturally advanced before adopting Islam and that 'First Wave of Islam' was carried on the wings of that prosperity. I think that Fertile Crescent civilizations would have advanced much more if there was not for Islam to put 'em down. It's now 1435 in their calendar, and it's where they really are. Those people should really get back to Christianity or Zoroastrianism or whatever, or they'll be stuck in 14-th century.

Christian religious was not perfect either. Especially the Roman version was more concentrated on power struggle and brought a lot grief to many people.

I don't like your points of view at all, but guess what, you still posting here.

Well then, why don't you ban me from being a member here?

When you have your own website you will introduce your rules, ok?

This is what I call dictatorship of the third kind.

Who said it would be with exactly the same format as the Old Empire?

I believe this is the title of the thread that you have started: The Byzantine Empire must be revived. Let us analyse the "must be revived" part:

- When "must" is used in the sentence, it is e declarative sentence.

- Definition of revived form Merriam-Webster:

verb

: to make (someone or something) strong, healthy, or active again
: to become strong, healthy, or active again
: to bring (something) back into use or popularity

intransitive verb
: to return to consciousness or life : become active or flourishing again

transitive verb
: to restore to consciousness or life

: to restore from a depressed, inactive, or unused state : bring back

: to renew in the mind or memory

I believe this is the title of the thread that you have started: The Byzantine Empire must be revived. Let us analyse the "must be revived" part:

- When "must" is used in the sentence, it is e declarative sentence.

- Definition of revived form Merriam-Webster:

verb

: to make (someone or something) strong, healthy, or active again
: to become strong, healthy, or active again
: to bring (something) back into use or popularity

intransitive verb
: to return to consciousness or life : become active or flourishing again

transitive verb
: to restore to consciousness or life

: to restore from a depressed, inactive, or unused state : bring back

: to renew in the mind or memory

Are you playing the smart guy by writing down the definition from a dictionary?
Well done sir!

P.S. I 'nogooded' you.

Greeks were Pagan before, they will be again I guess.(y)

It ain't bad if you want my opinion, but it is called polytheism bro.

Well then, why don't you ban me from being a member here?

This is what I call dictatorship of the third kind.

In my opinion, you're being rude, disrespectful and immature. And I don't personally find your brief, cryptic posts to be of much value. Perhaps you'd be happier on another forum. If "Second Life" is still a thing, perhaps you could go there and focus on creating your fantasy version of what you imagine the Byzantine empire to be.

However, if you want to discuss your original post, perhaps you could explain what you meant by it, since the original post seems to me to be suggesting that the original Byzantine empire be recreated, but you later said the new version doesn't have to be the same as the old version. So, what kind of "Byzantine empire" did you want to create? I think you should have explained that in your original post.

In my opinion, you're being rude, disrespectful and immature. And I don't personally find your brief, cryptic posts to be of much value. Perhaps you'd be happier on another forum. If "Second Life" is still a thing, perhaps you could go there and focus on creating your fantasy version of what you imagine the Byzantine empire to be.

However, if you want to discuss your original post, perhaps you could explain what you meant by it, since the original post seems to me to be suggesting that the original Byzantine empire be recreated, but you later said the new version doesn't have to be the same as the old version. So, what kind of "Byzantine empire" did you want to create? I think you should have explained that in your original post.

Dear Aberdeen,
thank you for letting me know about your beliefs considering my posts. You are welcome to not participate in any of them, as you find them immature and cryptic.

People, in my humblest opinion, must be able to understand fantasy from reality. My first posts wants to bring to the surface the possibility of creating a mega-state like the Byzantine Empire. We in the Balkans, and a little bit further away, have been living together for centuries. Maybe a new 'Byzantine Empire' could make us all better off.

I hope this answers your question.

With respect,
- E

Dear Aberdeen,
thank you for letting me know about your beliefs considering my posts. You are welcome to not participate in any of them, as you find them immature and cryptic.

People, in my humblest opinion, must be able to understand fantasy from reality. My first posts wants to bring to the surface the possibility of creating a mega-state like the Byzantine Empire. We in the Balkans, and a little bit further away, have been living together for centuries. Maybe a new 'Byzantine Empire' could make us all better off.

I hope this answers your question.

With respect,
- E

No, that doesn't answer my question at all. I can see how a confederation of Balkan states, sort of like a localized version of the EU focussed on the needs of the Balkans, might actually be useful. A Greek dominated mega state ruled by an emperor with absolute power would probably not appeal to many people. If that is in fact what you're proposing - you still haven't really explained what you mean. although your comment about forcing moslems to convert to christianity does suggest an interest in absolutism.

No, that doesn't answer my question at all. I can see how a confederation of Balkan states, sort of like a localized version of the EU focussed on the needs of the Balkans, might actually be useful. A Greek dominated mega state ruled by an emperor with absolute power would probably not appeal to many people. If that is in fact what you're proposing - you still haven't really explained what you mean. although your comment about forcing moslems to convert to christianity does suggest an interest in absolutism.

Greece will be the heart of this state, as being the more powerful at the time being, it was the case of the old empire as well, mostly due to the higher cultural level.

We will not have an emperor as I said before, but we will adopt the practices of the modern era.

I did not say that I will force Muslims to become Christians.

You should not say words that I did not mention.

My sympathies are always with the civilized core in contests with the "barbarians" of any stripe, so, despite the fact that the Byzantine Empire certainly had its problems and made its mistakes, and did not always act ethically or even sensibly, I think it was a great tragedy that it fell, and the behavior of the westerners was appalling.

However, the Balkans, as well as the rest of the world, has changed, and not only in terms of religion, but also in terms of affiliations. That isn't to say, as Aberdeen has suggested, that a sort of localized version of the EU might not make sense. However, I see no evidence that the Balkan states would agree to enter into some sort of political confederation with Greece. The idea that they would is almost more of a fantasy than the ludicrous proposal by Lega Nord to have some sort of confederation of Switzerland, Austria and Italy north of the Po. You may not have been aware of that cringe making event. The silence from Switzerland and Austria was deafening. I'm sure in private the laughter was even more deafening.

The only other alternative would be the use of force. Even were Greece to contemplate such an idea I would think that its lack of resources would make that a non-starter.

Perhaps Greek patriots would do better to contemplate how they can help their country get back on its feet economically.

Greece will be the heart of this state, as being the more powerful at the time being, it was the case of the old empire as well, mostly due to the higher cultural level.

We will not have an emperor as I said before, but we will adopt the practices of the modern era.

I did not say that I will force Muslims to become Christians.

You should not say words that I did not mention.

You did say "They were Christians before. They will become again." To me, that sounds like suggesting forced conversion. Even if that isn't what you meant, I really don't think the other Balkan countries consider Greeks to have a higher cultural level than themselves - I definitely get the impression that each group, Albanian, Croat, Serb, Romanian, Bulgarian, whatever else, each consider their own group to be superior. That would make co-operation difficult. And if you want to adopt "the practices of the modern era", that would not be a revival of the Byzantine empire, it would be something else, maybe a localized version of the EU, as I suggested. Although Angela is correct in suggesting that will never happen in real life, because the different groups will never co-operate with one another. But in theory it would be a great idea if it could be made to work. It's just that that will never happen.

I really don't think the other Balkan countries consider Greeks to have a higher cultural level than themselves - I definitely get the impression that each group, Albanian, Croat, Serb, Romanian, Bulgarian, whatever else, each consider their own group to be superior.
Believe it or not the "others" don't bother with such questions. Nobody questions Greek cultural superiority in Europe 2000 years ago. And it wasn't just the Greeks in the Balkans who were the most advanced, but also Illyrians, Macedonians etc. Whoever lived in the Balkans at that time deserves utmost credit for being the Champions. But we are 2000 years later and other areas of the world have caught up and gone ahead in terms of culture and development. Unfortunately we cannot afford to live in the past.
Although Angela is correct in suggesting that will never happen in real life, because the different groups will never co-operate with one another. But in theory it would be a great idea if it could be made to work. It's just that that will never happen.
Everybody in the Balkans will join the EU in the next 10-20 years, so they will co-operate in a different level, under different dominating influences.

Everybody in the Balkans will join the EU in the next 10-20 years, so they will co-operate in a different level, under different dominating influences.

Which, I suspect, will not have as good for Balkan countries as a BU (Balkan Community) would be. But that is what will happen, and the Balkans will remain less developed than some of the other EU countries.

But that is what will happen, and the Balkans will remain less developed than some of the other EU countries.

That's quite a statement about the future but having less people and stuff does not necessarily mean lower standard of living. Some big country like China might have highways with 12 lanes and 150-floors skyscrapers but they need those to support their population. They're very developed and advanced but their life is not better. People from the Balkans just need to stop being nationalistic and hot-headed, forget about religion for a while, and good things will follow.

That is what we're trying to avoid. Their influence has brought us where we are.

This thread has been viewed 69111 times.

Back