President Andrew Jackson belonged to haplogroup I1

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), the seventh President of the United States, most probably belonged to haplogroup I1 based on results from the Jackson DNA Project. His genealogy shows that he is descended from Richard Jackson (1505-1562) from Killingsworth, Eske, Yorkshire, England. Several members (e.g. 93323, 188015, 222633) of this lineage have been tested and they all belong to I1-M253.

The most recent common ancestor shared by #222633 and the American president is John Jackson; born in 1667 in Carrickfergus, Antrim, Ulster, Ireland.

The lineages of #93323 and #188015 split earlier, from Anthony Jackson; born in 1599 in Killingswold Grove, Yorkshire, England.

Since Andrew Jackson did not have any children of his own, direct descendant testing is not possible.

396px-Andrew_Jackson.jpg

Thanks for this, I was never able to parse anything meaningful out of the Jackson DNA Project, but you seem to be correct. I had looked into this casually before to see if a Jackson lineage I descend from connected to Andrew's. Unsurprisingly, it seems to be a different lineage. A traceable relative of mine is listed under "R1b1a2_Churchwell_Jackson_Lineage" (although I don't actually descend from Churchwell Jackson, he just seems to be a relative).

Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), the seventh President of the United States, most probably belonged to haplogroup I1 based on results from the Jackson DNA Project. His genealogy shows that he is descended from Richard Jackson (1505-1562) from Killingsworth, Eske, Yorkshire, England. Several members (e.g. 93323, 188015, 222633) of this lineage have been tested and they all belong to I1-M253.

The most recent common ancestor shared by #222633 and the American president is John Jackson; born in 1667 in Carrickfergus, Antrim, Ulster, Ireland.

The lineages of #93323 and #188015 split earlier, from Anthony Jackson; born in 1599 in Killingswold Grove, Yorkshire, England.

Since Andrew Jackson did not have any children of his own, direct descendant testing is not possible.

396px-Andrew_Jackson.jpg

This is interesting, as a lot of the I1 Jacksons seem to come from around Yorkshire, and my Grandfather in his old age shares something of a resemblance.

The paternal haplogroup of another famous Jackson can also be determined from the Jackson DNA Project. Stonewall Jackson, Confederate general during the American Civil War, was R-M269. He was descended from John Jackson, born around 1715 in Londonderry, Ireland, and died in 1801 in Clarksburg, Virginia (now West Virginia) and his wife Elizabeth Cummins. Stonewall Jackson's descent from John Jackson is listed on his Wikipedia page and on multiple online genealogies.

On the Jackson DNA Project's website, John Jackson's descendants are listed as the "Jackson Brigade", with 4 individuals included in the group (559510, 219737, 219736, and 550998).

I have read of some people speculating that Andrew Jackson and Stonewall Jackson may have been related on the Jackson line, but DNA results indicate that this is not the case.

This thread has been viewed 27656 times.

Back