Non indo-european Germanic words

Twilight

Reaction score
Ethnic group
15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c7a
Hello there, I was wondering if there was a way to find out what words in the Germanic Language is I do European and what words came from Haplogroup I; like a dictionary, link, etc. Thanks :)

Hello there, I was wondering if there was a way to find out what words in the Germanic Language is I do European and what words came from Haplogroup I; like a dictionary, link, etc. Thanks :)

What you're looking for is called the Germanic Substrate Hypothesis. There are proposed examples of non-IE Germanic words on the Wiki page. Picking out the less disputed ones per the article, there is: sea, steer, sail, keel, sword, bow, eel, lamb, knight, thing, leap, bone, bride.

I wouldn't connect these words to any haplogroup in particular (R1b is also pre-IE for the most part). But incidentally, I wrote two papers related to this matter: one is devoted to the possible non-IE lexicon in Danish (Scandinavian), and the other about the non-IE roots shared by Celtic and Germanic. I can try to find them (there's a methodology about how to find out whether a word is probably non-IE, if I remember well).

However, Maciamo's list is the best thing I've found about this question so far :)

This thread has been viewed 4293 times.

Back