Rather high presence of R1b in Algerien Kabyle population?

Vinnie

Reaction score
  • Y-Dna haplogroups, passed on exclusively through the paternal line, were found at the following frequencies in Kabylie: E1b1b1b (E-M81) (47.36%), R1*(xR1a) (15.78%) (later tested as R1b3/R-M269 (now R1b1a2)[11]), J1 (15.78%), F*(xH, I, J2,K) ( 10.52% ) and E1b1b1c (E-M123) (10.52%).[12] The North African pattern of Y-chromosomal variation (including both E1b1b and J haplogroups) is largely of Semitic origin and found predominately in the Middle East and North Africa.[13]

We already know there is some because of interaction with Europeans.

The unexpected presence of the European-derived Y-chromosome lineages R-M412, R-S116, R-U152 and R-M529 in Algeria and the rest of the Maghreb could be the counterparts of the mtDNA H1, H3 and V subgroups, pointing to direct maritime contacts between the European and North African sides of the western Mediterranean.

http://dienekes.blogspot.nl/2013/02/algerian-y-chromosomes-and-mtdna.html

But 15% came a bit as unexpected.

We already know there is some because of interaction with Europeans.

The unexpected presence of the European-derived Y-chromosome lineages R-M412, R-S116, R-U152 and R-M529 in Algeria and the rest of the Maghreb could be the counterparts of the mtDNA H1, H3 and V subgroups, pointing to direct maritime contacts between the European and North African sides of the western Mediterranean.

http://dienekes.blogspot.nl/2013/02/algerian-y-chromosomes-and-mtdna.html

But 15% came a bit as unexpected.

there will be some R1b from the Vandals, but I bet most of the 15 % is actually R1b-V88

The presence of high levels of "European" R1b is probably not a result of the Vandal settlements in North Africa because they were mainly in Tunisia. And it could be partly as a result of the lengthy French colonization of Algeria, but most Europeans in Algeria left when it became independent. I personally think the "European" R1b in Algeria was left there by Bell Beaker folk. R1b levels are highest in coastal areas in Europe, and I would expect to find R1b along the coast of North Africa.

The presence of high levels of "European" R1b is probably not a result of the Vandal settlements in North Africa because they were mainly in Tunisia. And it could be partly as a result of the lengthy French colonization of Algeria, but most Europeans in Algeria left when it became independent. I personally think the "European" R1b in Algeria was left there by Bell Beaker folk. R1b levels are highest in coastal areas in Europe, and I would expect to find R1b along the coast of North Africa.
I also would have expected the Vandals to carry some I (especially I2b) and, as East Germanic tribe, more R1a than R1b. Take, e.g. the Burgundians as another East Germanic tribe, who have brought quite some R1b into Burgundy.

I also would have expected the Vandals to carry some I (especially I2b) and, as East Germanic tribe, more R1a than R1b. Take, e.g. the Burgundians as another East Germanic tribe, who have brought quite some R1b into Burgundy.

that is why i suspect most of the R1b to be R1b-V88
also for Bell beaker - I've read of some presence in Morocco, but not in Algeria
furthermore, Bell Beaker were a minority wherever they went, they didn't replace populations

that is why i suspect most of the R1b to be R1b-V88
also for Bell beaker - I've read of some presence in Morocco, but not in Algeria
furthermore, Bell Beaker were a minority wherever they went, they didn't replace populations

Given that it has specifically been stated that the R1b consisted of "European" subclades, why are you saying that it must be V88?

And no, we don't know specifically that Bell Beaker people remained a minority everywhere they went. There's a lot we don't know about them. As for not having read about Bell Beaker folk being in Algeria, exactly how much detailed archeological information about Algeria have you been able to access? I haven't been able to find much. Absence of information is not evidence.

This thread has been viewed 6940 times.

Back