Politics Balkanian disagreements.

and if you want more

I am around here, not a Rugatsar (Pella) , but a logkatzar (Pieria)
the ones Turks call Rumluk

THIS THE AREA THAT YOUR SPEAKER, ON PURPOSE DO NOT SAY,
THE LANDS OF KASOMOULIS, WHO LEFT MAKEDONIA AND WENT TO MESOLOGGI,

and now as Karaiskakis said, you can .....

ΕΛΛΑΣ ΗΤΟ, ΕΛΛΑΣ ΕΙΝΑΙ, ΕΛΛΑΣ ΕΙ ΕΣΑΕΙ

ΓΗΣ ΠΑΙΣ ΕΙΜΙ ΚΑΙ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΥ ΑΣΤΕΡΟΕΝΤΟΣ
ΜΑΚΕΔΝΟΣ ΤΟ ΓΕΝΟΣ ΕΣΧΑΤΟΣ ΜΕΝ ΥΣΤΑΤΟΣ ΟΥ
ΕΛΛΑΣ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΟΓΕΝΕΙ

Last edited:
Ah, again you. After you excelled with the kososvians now you want to speak about epinotians.
But this thread is about the greek language, not about epir and albanians.

Now you remember that the thread is about Greek language?
after you f*** it with your propagandistic trash?
why don't you find your corner to write down your 1800 political propaganda science?

but no, for you there are no Greeks, but probably you never came to Greece, or you are blind,
THE CENSUS OF 1860 and 1879 WRITES DOWN 0,5 AS ALBANIANS WITH MAX 3%
now you can sing what ever,

You have absolutely no idea what even happened here. I can't respond to this one.

You're talking about Serbians now? Because that's their opinion :)
So please enlighten us. I have friends of former KLA. In the last was the guys of Milosevic were tough and brave only against unarmed civilians.

I stand by what I said (and I recommend you re-read my post): history happened. For example, imagine that the Byzantines had been victorious over the Arabs in the battle of Yarmouk, much of the eastern Mediterranean would likely still be speaking Greek today. Conversely, had the Arabs been more successful against the Byzantines, it is more probable that Anatolia would be speaking Arabic today, not Turkish. Also, I should remind you that ancient Greek actually has a daughter language, and that is Modern Greek.

I'd also like to remind you that unlike Greek, a large number of languages in the eastern Mediterranean in Antiquity became wholly extinct (the entire Anatolian language family became extinct with the Hellenization of Anatolia), virtually extinct except as a liturgical language (Coptic, the descendant of Ancient Egyptian) or severely marginalized (Aramaic, in the Antiquity the lingua franca of the Near East). Large parts of Western and Central Europe were Celtic-speaking in the Antiquity, and after the romanization of Western Europe and Migration Period, the Celtic languages were restricted to the west and north of the British Isles and to Brittany. This is part of history.

I'm not going to address that. To be blunt, I have zero tolerance for the kind of historic revisionism that blows into the horn of "Albanians are the true heirs of Greco-Roman culture, not the modern Greeks". :useless:
Modern greek is the continuation of ancient Greek, not a daughter language of ancient Greek.

The Greek was spoken only throughout certain areas of west anatolia, not all over the Anatolia, during the time when the exchange of population happened

@ Taranis.
We know the Romance, Germanic, and Slavic languages have been adopted by many different ethnic groups throughout history, but not so with Greek. Even Semitic is spoken by a number of different ethnic groups. The Berber languages are no different.

But Greek not so.
WHY?
So Taranis, why the greek language has no daughter languages?

It`s not true.
Read my post :
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/31367-Future-of-Greece?p=467640#post467640

So, 200 years ago 45% of population of Greece was Albanians. Then were Vlachs, Slavs, etc.. All these people do not speak Greek. A famous example was the case of the first President and Vice President of Greece. George Kunduriottes from Hydra and Botasses from Spetzia.
Read Finlay, greek revolution.
Two persons who could not adress them in Greek language.... these aliens in civilisation and race.
BookReaderImages.php

When the revive of Greek happened according to you?

Modern greek is the continuation of ancient Greek, not a daughter language of ancient Greek.

Both. :p If you compare modern Greek against ancient Greek (in particular Mycenaean Greek of the Bronze Age), it is obviously not the same language (phonologically, modern Greek and Mycenaean Greek are radically different). Strictly speaking, it Modern Greek is the daughter language. This is why I do think Laberia's initial point is moot.

The Greek was spoken only throughout certain areas of west anatolia, not all over the Anatolia, during the time when the exchange of population happened

Well, you've taken me out of context there. Anatolia was largely Hellenized by the end of Antiquity (5th century) and languages that were previously spoken there were driven into extinction.

In my opinion it`s ridiculous. Albanians are not the true heirs of Greco-Roman culture. First time i heard this theory. Where did you read this? Can you quote any author, pls?

I take that actually from your own, earlier post:

So the basic question is: If Greek culture was so prominent, and Macedonia spread Greek culture through the world via Alexander, then why is it that the spoken Greek is not used by anyone today as a basis for a spoken language? Even most of Greece's native population today didn't speak Greek.To me it suggests that the written language predates the spoken, and historians mistakenly associate the two as both Greek. Where the written language was an already common universally popular language that Greeks as well as Macedonians and others already used. That would explain why their spoken language never caught on anywhere. The only evidence we have of "Greek" is written so we automatically assume that if they written in a certain language then the speak in a certain language. Yet if wee look at today, Latin is the written language for English and other Germanic languages, so by the same standard a 1000 years from now if we look back will we say that the Germans and the English speak Latin because they write in Latin, and even Latin is basically Greek. I just find it odd that the written language "spread" so easily and vastly but the spoken never did.Thoughts?

How else am I supposed to interprete it when you say "historians mistakenly associate it" (the Greek language)?

@ Λαβερια

just crap,

you mention Κασομουλης, the describer,
BUT WHY YOU DID NOT MENTION KAΣΟΜΟΥΛΗΣ WAS MAKEDONIAN GREEK,
come on,
you video a funfair and you provide it scientific?
what about Sharakatsans?
did yoy hear them in your video?
Cretans?
Makedonians like Kasomoylis?
WHAT ABOUT PONTIC GREEKS?
they started the revolution,
the Ipsilanti brothers?

But no,
for you only the few Arbanites who were trained at Ali pasha army are the heroes,
but for me not,

AGAIN YOU STEAL HEROES?
YOU CLAIM AS YOUR HEROE KASTRIOTI BUT YOU FOLLOW BALABAN PASHA,
NOW YOU WANT TO STEAL THE GREEK REVOLT,
WHICH YOU WERE THE BIGEST ENEMY,
what happened to Muhtar pasha the lion of Albania when met KARAISKAKIS?
What happened at the Battle of Lalla?
come on Turk, back to your holes
ALBANIAN WERE ALLIED WITH TURKS, AND THE BIGGEST ENEMY OF GREEK REVOLT,
DO NOT STEAL HEROES OF GREEK REVOLT,
YOU FOLLOWED MAHMUT PASHA SKODRA AND SILLIHTAR BODA

an answer to you
by a Sharakatsan (Makedonian mountain cast that expand from Epirus to Bulgaria to Roumeli)

Karaiskakis (kara-skje, son of a monk woman and a 'skje')

as written in his memories

Karaiskaskis
F**K your faith and your Mohamet.
Are n't you ashamed to ask treaty from us?
with one gkotzia shultan shity mahmout (the lion of Albania, MAHMUT PASHA SKODRA was his turkish name,) I will shit on him and on the Vezir (Ottoman title) and the Jew(banker) Sillihtar Boda (known Separadim family from Trikala, bank owners, who lend money to Turkish army) the whore,
IF I COME BACK, I WILL F**K THEM, IF I DIE THEY WILL FART MY D**K.

ANYWAY THE VIDEO YOU PUT IS SAYING PART OF TRUTH,
WHY? SEARCH BETTER,
JUST ASK WHY SHE DOES MENTION KASOMOULIS ORIGIN!!!!

NOW ASK YOUR SHELF
AT 1550 Catholic Monks describe Dyrrachium and said that 2nd most spoken was Greek, after Latin,
what happened to them?
until 1780 Greek minority existed still there,
what left today?
you know well, simply you are afraid to tell,
cause you know, behind of 50% of Albanian speakers, is hidden a Greek that was forced to get Albanized
Clearly the pindus area and epirus during middle ages was inhabited by vlachs and Albanians. Every British source proves that. There is not just s single village in highlands inhabited by the Greeks.

The whole peasantry of Attica was Albanian. One fifth of Athens also. The whole Western part of beotia.
You should read British sources. This is the map of Albanian majority backward 1900.
uploadfromtaptalk1444247715600.jpg
Thesali was inhabited largely by vlachs. The Greek inhabitants there are mostly migrants of west anatolia, who settled throughout epirus and Greek Macedonia.

and if you want more

I am around here, not a Rugatsar (Pella) , but a logkatzar (Pieria)
the ones Turks call Rumluk

THIS THE AREA THAT YOUR SPEAKER, ON PURPOSE DO NOT SAY,
THE LANDS OF KASOMOULIS, WHO LEFT MAKEDONIA AND WENT TO MESOLOGGI,

and now as Karaiskakis said, you can .....

ΕΛΛΑΣ ΗΤΟ, ΕΛΛΑΣ ΕΙΝΑΙ, ΕΛΛΑΣ ΕΙ ΕΣΑΕΙ

ΓΗΣ ΠΑΙΣ ΕΙΜΙ ΚΑΙ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΥ ΑΣΤΕΡΟΕΝΤΟΣ
ΜΑΚΕΔΝΟΣ ΤΟ ΓΕΝΟΣ ΕΣΧΑΤΟΣ ΜΕΝ ΥΣΤΑΤΟΣ ΟΥ
ΕΛΛΑΣ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΟΓΕΝΕΙ

Did you saw the beautiful video about the sad truth of the modern Greek state!! Enjoy the video yetos. [emoji23] . You need more knowledge about the Greek state, obviously! [emoji23]

As I already said: only the cowards insult others in internet.

Albanians are known for many things, but surely not as cowards [emoji6]. Everyone know this. [emoji57]

Now you remember that the thread is about Greek language?
after you f*** it with your propagandistic trash?
why don't you find your corner to write down your 1800 political propaganda science?

but no, for you there are no Greeks, but probably you never came to Greece, or you are blind,
THE CENSUS OF 1860 and 1879 WRITES DOWN 0,5 AS ALBANIANS WITH MAX 3%
now you can sing what ever,
There is no census in Greece, nor for ethnicity, nor for religion. There was never recognized from the state any ethnic minority. There was never open any school in Albanian neither in vlach language. The modern Greek state definitely is a theocratic- nationalist state. Even so, today in Greece are living at least one million Albanians who have as native language the Albanian.

Ok, i understand your point of view, history happened.

A report of Greek Helsinki full with references from different authors Greek and international and you call it historical revisionism? Strange.

In my opinion it`s ridiculous. Albanians are not the true heirs of Greco-Roman culture. First time i heard this theory. Where did you read this? Can you quote any author, pls?
About the modern greeks, i invite you to see this one hour lesson from a Greek scholar: Maria Efthimiou. Her style of explanation of the lesson, is very interesting. Anyone who has difficulty reading academic materials, can follow this 1-hour lesson.

Maria Efthimiou - The Arvanites of Greece

The lesson is in Greek, but with subs in English.
Yeah. .. Really a nice video and a helpful source. Thanks sharing it with us. [emoji4] . Yetos is a bit upset, but don't disturb him. He is all the time angry. Who knows why? !!![emoji45]

@ Λαβερια

just crap,

you mention Κασομουλης, the describer,
BUT WHY YOU DID NOT MENTION KAΣΟΜΟΥΛΗΣ WAS MAKEDONIAN GREEK,
come on,
you video a funfair and you provide it scientific?
what about Sharakatsans?
did yoy hear them in your video?
Cretans?
Makedonians like Kasomoylis?
WHAT ABOUT PONTIC GREEKS?
they started the revolution,
the Ipsilanti brothers?

But no,
for you only the few Arbanites who were trained at Ali pasha army are the heroes,
but for me not,

AGAIN YOU STEAL HEROES?
YOU CLAIM AS YOUR HEROE KASTRIOTI BUT YOU FOLLOW BALABAN PASHA,
NOW YOU WANT TO STEAL THE GREEK REVOLT,
WHICH YOU WERE THE BIGEST ENEMY,
what happened to Muhtar pasha the lion of Albania when met KARAISKAKIS?
What happened at the Battle of Lalla?
come on Turk, back to your holes
ALBANIAN WERE ALLIED WITH TURKS, AND THE BIGGEST ENEMY OF GREEK REVOLT,
DO NOT STEAL HEROES OF GREEK REVOLT,
YOU FOLLOWED MAHMUT PASHA SKODRA AND SILLIHTAR BODA

an answer to you
by a Sharakatsan (Makedonian mountain cast that expand from Epirus to Bulgaria to Roumeli)

Karaiskakis (kara-skje, son of a monk woman and a 'skje')

as written in his memories

Karaiskaskis
F**K your faith and your Mohamet.
Are n't you ashamed to ask treaty from us?
with one gkotzia shultan shity mahmout (the lion of Albania, MAHMUT PASHA SKODRA was his turkish name,) I will shit on him and on the Vezir (Ottoman title) and the Jew(banker) Sillihtar Boda (known Separadim family from Trikala, bank owners, who lend money to Turkish army) the whore,
IF I COME BACK, I WILL F**K THEM, IF I DIE THEY WILL FART MY D**K.

ANYWAY THE VIDEO YOU PUT IS SAYING PART OF TRUTH,
WHY? SEARCH BETTER,
JUST ASK WHY SHE DOES MENTION KASOMOULIS ORIGIN!!!!

NOW ASK YOUR SHELF
AT 1550 Catholic Monks describe Dyrrachium and said that 2nd most spoken was Greek, after Latin,
what happened to them?
until 1780 Greek minority existed still there,
what left today?
you know well, simply you are afraid to tell,
cause you know, behind of 50% of Albanian speakers, is hidden a Greek that was forced to get Albanized
You guys make me lough about how albanians did this an that.CAN YOU SHOW ME 1 WAR BETWEEN 13CTRY AN15CTRY THAT STATES GREEKS FOUGHT THE OTTOMANS?

Maybe my greek friends you should learn about what really happen in balkans between greeks an ottomans.You guys need to open you eyes about the propaganda use speak about albanians,Because most of greeks helped the ottomans.

Epirots were not just tosk because their were no tosk written in the 13ctry nor 14ctry its all gheg.
We have only recently written records from Albanian language.(1450). Linguists arguing that the split between tosk and gheg dialect happened before the Slavic migration. According to this, we conclude that tosk is too old, much more old than the 13 century ad.

There were many gheg tribes who settled further south via egnatia during middle ages, but they were all assimilated by the tosks.

You need to understand the basic tosk an gheg bro.Gheg was without doubt the first of albanian dilects.Pie in both is very large but their is alot in gheg that tosk lack.The split did happen early but their were also migrations from gheg populations to epirus an greece..Scanderbeg felt close to epiruts an he was gheg albanian.You see question when albania tosks were leaders in the goverment how many gheg albanians are now speaking tosk?do you forget gheg was banned by the goverment..everything about gheg is older than tosk.srry just facts,enjoy.

This file was derived from Albanische Etymologien (Untersuchungen zum albanischen Erbwortschatz), Bardhyl Demiraj, Leiden Studies in Indo-European 7; Amsterdam - Atlanta 1997. That publication is referenced (by page) via "AE nnn". The database was compiled by Bardhyl Demiraj in 1998-1999, and converted to the Starling format by Sergei Starostin and Alexander Lubotsky in 1999-2000. The database is being currently revised by Alexander Lubotsky and Michiel de Vaan. Their comments are marked with [AL/MdV].
The forms separated by a slash (/) belong to the Tosk and Gheg dialects respectively. Otherwise, the dialectal provenance is explicitly stated. (tg) - both Tosk and Gheg, (t) - Tosk, (g) Gheg.
In the verbal labels, "r" means `reflexive'.
"PAlb." refers to a period from Late-IE until the beginning of the Latin influence (100 BC).
The symbols _x_ have the following meaning: _+_ = the word is of IE date or derived from an IE root; _−_ = the word belongs to the substratum layer (although it is also attested in other languages); _?_ = the etymology is uncertain.

a [1] [particle] (tg) {1} ‘or’
PAlb. *(h)au (AE 69)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]eu-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]u ‘that’ _+_ (Pok. 73)
Gr. αὖ ‘on the other hand, again’
Notes: {1} Proclitic disjunctive particle, used with one or more parts of the sentence.

a [2] [particle] (tg) ‘probably, perhaps’
PAlb. *(h)an (AE 69)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]en, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]n ‘there’ _+_ (Pok. 37)
Lat. an ‘yes, perhaps’
Notes: {1} Interrogative particle, usually used proclitically in simple sentences.

a ̊ [3] [particle] (tg) {1} ‘there’
PAlb. *(h)au ̊ (AE 70)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]eu-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]u ‘that’ _+_ (Pok. 73)
Gr. αὖ ‘on the other hand, again’
Notes: {1} Deictic particle, pointing afar, only used in the pronominal system in compounds.

ag [m] (tg) ‘dawn, early morning; black mark round the eyes’
PAlb. *(h)aug-
Alb. agull [m] (g) ‘alba, aurora’ {1} (AE 72)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]eug-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]ug ‘day-light’ _?_ (Pok. 87)
Gr. αὐγή ‘day-light, splendor’
Notes: {1} agull is an Alb. formation with the suffix -ull.

ahë / avë [f] ‘breath; vapour; soul, spirit’
PAlb. *(h)aua̅ {1}
Alb. afsh [m] (tg) ‘breath; vapour, sultriness’ {2}, cf. aft (AE 72)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]euh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]-o- {3}, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]uh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB] ‘breath, wind’ _?_ (Pok. 81f)
Gr. (Hes.) ἄος . τό πνευ̃μα
Notes: {1} Alb. feminine -stem. {2} afsh is an Alb. formation with the suffix -sh. {3} The Schwebe-ablaut makes the connection uncertain.

aft, aht [m] (tg) ‘breath, vapour, fiery breath of the fire’
PAlb. *(h)auet-, cf. ahë (AE 71)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]euh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]-et-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]uh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB] ‘breath’ _?_ (Pok. 81f)
Gr. ἀϋτμή ‘breath, fiery breath, fragrance’; (Hes.) ἀετμόν . τό πνευ̃μα

ah {1} ‘oh, ow(ch) (interjection of pain, annoyance, surprise)’
PAlb. *(h)ai/(h)au (AE 73)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]ei-/h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]eu-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]i/h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]u ‘oh!’ _?_ (Pok. 10, 71)
Gr. αἴ ‘oh!’
Lat. au ‘oh!’
Notes: {1} Final -h may be due to emphasis.

ah [m] (tg); hah [m] (g) {1} ‘beech-tree’
PAlb. *(h)ah- (AE 73)
PIE *Hosk- {2} ‘ash-tree’ _+_ (Pok. 783)
Arm. hac‘i ‘ash’
OHG asc ‘ash’
Notes: {1} Only in Bash. {2} Possibly, *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]3[/SIZE][/SUB]esk-.

ai [pron. dem.] (tg) {2} ‘he (there), Lat. ille
PAlb. * ̊i- {1} < QIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]is
Alb. ky [pron] (tg) ‘he (here), Lat. iste’ {3} (AE 73)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]i, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]i ‘he’ _+_ (Pok. 281)
Lat. is ‘he’
Go. is ‘he’
Notes: {1} Reshaped after the fem. or n. stem *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]ih[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB], h[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]id. {2} Demonstrative and personal pronoun. {3} The vowel change of */i/ to /y/ has originated in composition due to assimilation to the preceding sound.

(a)ta [pron Nomsn] {1} (tg) ‘it (there), that, Lat. illud
PAlb. * ̊ta(d)
Alb. këta [pron Nomsn] (tg) ‘it (here), Lat. istud, this’ {2}, cf. k(ë) ̊ (AE 73)
PIE *tod, root *t- ‘it’ _+_ (Pok. 281)
Skt. tád ‘it’
Notes: {1} Demonstrative and relative pronoun. {2} Other old case forms are: acc.sg. m.f. atë, të < *tom, nom.pl. m. ta, ata < *to-, nom.acc.pl. n.f. < *teh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB], teh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]ns.

akull [m] (tg) ‘ice, frost’
PAlb. *auK-(ul-) (AE 74)
PIE *Houk- ‘cold, frost’ _?_ (Pok. 783)
Arm. oyc ‘cold’

ãmë [f] (g); amull [m] (g) ‘river-bed, fountain’
PAlb. *habna̅ {1} < QIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]eb-n-
Alb. hãmull [m] (g) ‘(fish-)pond, still water’; amull [m] (t) ‘(fish-)pond, still water’ (AE 75)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]ep-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]p ‘water, river’ _+_ (Pok. 51)
Lat. amnis ‘river’

ãmë [f] (g) ‘odour, (un)pleasant smell, fragrance’
PAlb. *adma̅
Alb. ãmëz, ãmzë [f] (g) ‘odour, (un)pleasant smell, fragrance’ {1} (AE 76)
PIE *Hod-meh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB] ‘odour, smell’ _+_ (Pok. 772)
Gr. ὀδμή ‘smell, scent’
Notes: {1} ãmëz, ãmzë are diminutive formations with the suffix -(ë)z(ë).

an [m] (t); ãnë [f] (t); enë [f] (g) ‘vessel, cooker’
PAlb. *(h)aukn-
Alb. anë / ãnë [f] ‘vessel, cooker’; enë [nomplf] (tg) ‘kitchen-utensils’ {1} (AE 76)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]euk(w)-sno- ‘pot’ _?_ (Pok. 88)
Go. auhns ‘oven’; Skt. ukhá- ‘pot’
Notes: {1} en- is the Alb. plural stem with umlaut of the root vowel < PAlb ani̅̆.

anë / ãnë [f] ‘edge, border, side; party’
PAlb. *(h)ant- {1} (AE 77)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB](e)nt-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]nt ‘front, face’ _+_ (Pok. 48)
Go. und ‘up to’; Skt. antá- ‘edge, border, end’
Notes: {1} Phonetically, the reconstruction *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]n̥t-neh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB] > PAlb. antna̅ is also possible.

ãng [m] (g) ‘nightmare, incubus; anguish; constriction’
PAlb. *ang-
Alb. ãnkth [m] (g) ‘nightmare, incubus; anguish; constriction’ {1}; makth [m] (tg) ‘nightmare, incubus; anguish; constriction’ {2} (AE 79)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB](o)nǵh-o-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]nǵh ‘narrow’ _+_ (Pok. 42)
Lat. ango̅ ‘to cramp (up), constrict’
Notes: {1} An Alb. formation with the diminutive suffix -th. {2} An Alb. formation with the intensifying prefix m(ë)-.

aq [particle] (tg) {1} ‘so much’
PAlb. * ̊kai {2}, cf. a ̊ [3] (AE 80)
PIE *kwoi, root *kw ‘someone; who’ _+_ (Pok. 644)
OLat. quoi ‘which’ {3}
Notes: {1} Comparative particle. From a-q (< Alb. a(u) ki), resulting from the merger of a former syntactic unit. {2} Possibly a plural form of the pronominal stem kwo- which forms indefinite, interrogative and relative pronouns. A reconstruction *kweh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]i is also possible. {3} Or Lat. quae.

që [pron] (tg) ‘that’
PAlb. *kai {1} (AE 80)
PIE *kwo-, root *kw ‘that’ _+_ (Pok. 644)
Lat. quoi ‘they’
Notes: {1} A frozen case form, possibly *kwoi. {2} In view of its function in Alb., it seems at least equally likely that që is a loanword from Latin que [MdV].

arë [f] (tg) ‘arable land, soil’
PAlb. *arua̅ (AE 80)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]rh[SUB][SIZE=-2]3[/SIZE][/SUB]uer-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]rh[SUB][SIZE=-2]3[/SIZE][/SUB] ‘arable land, soil’ _+_ (Pok. 63)
Gr. ἄρουρα arable land
Lat. arvum ‘corn-field’

arg [m] (t) ‘young louse, newly hatched nit’
PAlb. *arg-
Alb. argull [m] (t) ‘young louse, newly hatched nit’ {1}; ergjiz [m] (tg) ‘young louse, newly hatched nit’ {2} (AE 81)
PIE *Horgwh-, root *Hrgwh ‘louse, mite, tick’ _−_ (Pok. 335)
Arm. o(r)ǰil ‘nit’
Notes: {1} Alb. formation with the suffix -ull. {2} Diminutive form with the suffix -(ë)z. The umlaut of the root vowel and the palatalized consonant have originated in the plural.

ara [mnp] (g) {1} ‘(he-)bear’
PAlb. *ar(K)ϑ- {2}
Alb. ari [m] (tg) ‘(he-)bear’ {3} (AE 81)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]rtḱo-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]rtḱ- ‘bear’ _+_ (Pok. 875)
Arm. arǰ ‘bear’
Skt. ŕ̥kṣa- ‘bear’
Notes: {1} Bog. {2} The stem final -θ- has been dropped for reasons of popular etymology, in order to avoid semantic confusion with the hypochoristic-diminutive formations in -th. {3} Alb. enlargement with the suffix -i.

arrë {1} [f] (tg) ‘nut’
PAlb. *arua̅ (AE 82) ‘nut’ _−_ (Pok. 61)
Gr. (Hes.) ἄρυα . τὰ Ἡρακλεωτικά κάρυα
OCS orěxъ ‘nut’
Notes: {1} With expressive hard -rr-.

asht [m] (g) ‘bone’
PAlb. *aśt-
Alb. ashtë [n] (tg) ‘bone’ (AE 82)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]ost(h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]-), root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]st(h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]-) ‘bone’ _+_ (Pok. 783)
Skt. ásthi- ‘bone’

at [m] (tg) {2} ‘father’
PAlb. *at(t)-
Alb. atë [m] (tg) ‘father’ (AE 83)
PIE *(H)at(t)a(H)- ‘father’ _?_ {1} (Pok. 71)
Gr. ἄττα ‘father’
Lat. atta ‘father’
Notes: {1} A nursery word. {2} Weak cases et(-), pl. etër/n (tg) with umlaut of the root vowel, caused by an -i in the following syllable.

ath [verb] (tg) ‘to file down (the teeth)’
PAlb. *aϑ- {1}
Alb. athje [f] (t) ‘Ononis spinosa, thorny undergrowth’ {2}; (i) athët [adj] (tg) ‘harsh, sour’ {3}, cf. eh (AE 83)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]oḱ-(u-), root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]ḱ- ‘sharp, pointed, edged’ _+_ (Pok. 18)
Lat. acus ‘needle’
Notes: {1} Nominal basis for further denominative formations. {2} Alb. formation (verbal noun) with the suffix -je. {3} Denominative formation with the suffix -(ë)t(ë).

eh [verb] (g) ‘to sharpen, point’
PAlb. *aha- {1}, cf. ath (AE 84)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB](o)ḱ-uo- ‘sharp, pointed’ _+_ (Pok. 19)
Lat. acuo̅ ‘to sharpen, to point’
Notes: {1} Nominal basis for further denominative formations. ah- probably stands in an originally paradigmatic relationship with Alb. ath(-) < *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB](o)ḱ-(u-).

avdosë [f] (tg) {1} ‘chaffinch’
PAlb. *(h)aui ̊
Alb. afçë [f] (tg) ‘greenfinch’ {2}, cf. vito (AE 84)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]eui-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]u ‘bird’ _+_ (Pok. 86)
Lat. avis ‘bird’
Arm. haw ‘bird’
Notes: {1} Compositional formation with -dosë ‘sow; mother animal’. {2} Diminutive formation with -çë.

avull [m] (tg) ‘vapour, damp’
PAlb. *(h)au-ul- {1}, cf. aft (AE 85)
PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]euh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]-Vl-, root *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]uh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]- ‘vapour, steam’ _+_ (Pok. 82)
Rom. abure ‘steam, damp’
Notes: {1} Alb. formation with the suffix -ull.

balgë, bajgë [f] (tg) ‘cow-, horse-dung’
PAlb. *balga̅ {1} (AE 86)
PIE *bolg(w)-o- {2} ‘bulb’ _−_ (Pok. 103)
Gr. βολβός ‘onion, bulb’; βόλβιτον ‘cow-dung’
Arm. boɫk ‘radish’
Notes: {1} Has entered the declension of the feminines in -eh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]- through a change of the suffix vowel. {2} [AL] Clearly, a non-IE word, considering the root structure, meaning, distribution and irregular anlaut in Armenian.

balë, bajë [f] (tg) ‘blaze, white spot; badger’
PAlb. *balia̅
Alb. bal [m] (tg) ‘piebald dog, horse’ (AE 87)
PIE *bhlH-io/e-, root *bhlH- ‘bright, brilliant, white’ _+_ (Pok. 118)
Gr. φαλιός ‘bright, white-speckled’

ballë [n] (tg) {1} ‘forehead’
PAlb. *bala- (AE 88)
PIE *bhh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]-lo- ‘forehead’ _?_ (Pok. 118)
OPr. ballo ‘forehead’
Notes: {1} Nowadays most of the Albanian dialects employ this as a masculine.

barë [n] (t) ‘herb, plant; grass’
PAlb. *baura-
Alb. bar [m] (tg) ‘herb, plant; grass’ (AE 89)
PIE *bhoHu-ro-m, root *bhHu ‘become, grow’ _+_ (Pok. 146 {1})
Gr. φυτόν ‘growth, plant’
Arm. boys ‘shoot, herb, plant’
Notes: {1} The Alb. word is not mentioned by Pok.

(i) bardhë [adj] (tg) ‘white’
PAlb. *barδa- < QIE *bhorHǵ-o-
Alb. barmë [f] (g) ‘bast’ {1} (AE 90)
PIE *bherHǵ-o-, root *bhrHǵ ‘bright, brilliant’ _+_ (Pok. 139)
Go. bairhts ‘bright’
Notes: {1} < Alb. *barδ-mə.

barrë [f] (tg) {1} ‘burden, load; weight; pregnant’
PAlb. *bara̅
Alb. bark [m] (tg) ‘belly, paunch, womb’ {2} (AE 92)
PIE *bhor-eh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB] ‘burden, load’ _+_ (Pok. 128)
Gr. φορά ‘burden, load’
Notes: {1} With expressive hard -rr-. {2} [AL/MdV] Can reflect Alb. *barVk-. Connection with OIr. brú ‘belly, paunch, womb’ is phonetically impossible.

bashkë [f] (tg) ‘fleece’
PAlb. *baśka̅
Alb. bashkë [adv] (tg) ‘together, jointly’ (AE 93) _?_
Gr. φάσκωλος ‘leathern bag, sack’
Lat. fascis ‘band, bundle’
MIr. basc ‘collar, neck-chain’

bathë [f] (tg) ‘broad bean’
PAlb. *baϑa̅ (AE 94)
PIE *bhaḱ-o- ‘bean, lentil’ _−_ {1} (Pok. 106)
Gr. φακός ‘lentil’
Notes: {1} [AL/MdV] A non-IE term, possibly "related" to Lat. faba, etc.

be [interjection] (tg) ‘bah {2} ??’
PAlb. *be-
Alb. bec [m] (g) ‘lamb’; beç [m] (t) ‘lamb’ {3} (AE 94)
PIE *b(h)e- ‘bah’ _?_ {1} (Pok. 96)
Gr. βῃ̃ ‘bah!’
Notes: {1} Imitation of a sheep’s sound. {2} Imitation of the sound of small cattle. {3} bec and beç are diminutive-hypochoristic formations with the suffix -c/ç.

be [f] (tg) ‘oath, vow’
PAlb. *bei(d-)?
Alb. përbej [verb] (tg) ‘to swear, take the oath’; betoj [verb] (tg) ‘to put on the oath’, cf. besë (AE 94)
PIE *bheidhi-, root *bhidh- ‘persuasion’ _+_ (Pok. 117)
Gr. πειθώ ‘persuasion’

ber [m] (tg) ‘arrow, bolt; spear, lance’
PAlb. *bo̅r-
Alb. bero(n)jë [f] (tg) ‘adder, viper’ {1}; ylber [f] (tg) ‘rainbow’ {2} (AE 95)
PIE *bho̅rs-, root *bhrs ‘point, tip bolt’ _+_ (Pok. 108)
OIr. barr ‘point’
Notes: {1} An Alb. formation with the suffix -o(n)jë. {2} Compound with yll- ‘star’.

rrun(j)ë [f] (t) {2} ‘teg, shearling’
PAlb. *re̅n-ia̅ {1}, cf. berr (AE 96)
PIE *ureh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]n-, root *urh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]n ‘sheep, lamb’ _+_ (Pok. 1170)
Gr. ἀρήν ‘sheep, lamb’
Notes: {1} Originally diminutive formation in -io/e-. {2} < * r̄oñə.

berr [m] (tg) {1} ‘small cattle, ram, tup’
PAlb. * ̊r(a)n-, cf. rrun(j)ë (AE 95)
PIE *urh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]-n- ‘sheep, lamb’ _+_ (Pok. 1170)
Gr. ἄρνες ‘sheep, lamb’; (Hes.) βάριχοι ἄρνες
Notes: {1} A compound with be ‘imitation of a sheep’s sound’.

besë [f] (tg) ‘faithfulness, faith’
PAlb. *biTia̅ {2}
Alb. besoj [verb] (tg) {3} ‘to believe’, cf. be (AE 96)
PIE *bh(e)idhi- {1}, root *bhidh ‘persuasion, oath’ _+_ (Pok. 117)
Gr. πειθώ ‘persuasion’
Notes: {1} Based on the genitive. {2} Phonetically, a full grade form PAlb. *beiTia̅ is also possible. {3} Denominative formation in -o- of Alb. origin.

bërsi {2} [fnp] (tg) ‘rest from wine-, olive-, plum-press’
PAlb. *britia̅ {1} (AE 98) _−_ (Pok. 144)
Lat. bri̅sa ‘husks of wine’
Notes: {1} Apparently, an old Wanderwort. {2} < Alb. *brisí, as an enlarged formation in -i.

bibë [f] (tg) ‘chicken, pullet’
PAlb. *biba̅ (AE 99)
PIE *PiP(P)- {1} ‘to chirp, to peep’ _?_ (Pok. 830)
SCr. bì ̀ba ‘turkey-hen’
Notes: {1} Onomatopoeic root. {2} [MdV] Therefore, Indo-European origin is unwarranted.

bir [m] (tg) ‘son’
PAlb. *bir- < QIE *bhi(H)-ro-
Alb. bijë [f] (tg) ‘daughter’ {1}, cf. bij (AE 101)
PIE *bhiH- ‘to beat, to shoot’ _?_ (Pok. 117)
Gr. φι̃τυ ‘shoot, scion’
Notes: {1} Feminine formed on the basis of the plural stem Alb. *biri-a̅.

bisht [m] (tg) ‘tail, brush; stalk, stem’
PAlb. *bi-śt- < QIE *bhi(H)-st-o-, cf. bij (AE 103)
PIE *bhiH- ‘to beat, to shoot’ _?_ (Pok. 117)

i blerë [adj] (tg) ‘green’
PAlb. *blo̅r-
Alb. i blertë [adj] (tg) ‘green’ {1}; bleron [verb] (tg) ‘to bloom, (become) green’ (AE 104)
PIE *bhloh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]-ro-, root *bhlh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB] ‘blue, green, yellow’ _−_ (Pok. 160)
Lat. flo̅rus ‘golden yellow, reddish-yellow’
Notes: {1} Contains a productive Albanian suffix -të.

bletë [fs/p] (tg) ‘swarm of bees, bee; hive’
PAlb. *m(e)líta̅ {1} < QIE *melit-(t)eh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]-, cf. mjaltë (AE 105)
PIE *melit-, root *ml ‘honey’ _+_ (Pok. 723)
Gr. μέλισσα ‘bee’
Notes: {1} Collective formation.

botë [f] {2} (tg) ‘earth, soil; world’
PAlb. *bua̅ta̅ < QIE *bhueh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]-t- {1} (AE 107)
PIE *bheuh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]- _?_ (Pok. 146)
Skt. bhū́- ‘earth, world’; Skt. bhū́mi- ‘earth, ground, soil’
Notes: {1} Collective formation. {2} Singulare tantum.

bredh {1} [m] (tg) ‘fir, spruce(-fir), beech’
PAlb. *braδ- (AE 107)
PIE *bhrHǵ-o ‘birch, ash’ _+_ (Pok. 139)
Skt. bhūrjá- ‘kind of birch’
Notes: {1} -e- due to umlaut from the plural stem *braδi̅̆.

breshër / breshën [m sg/pl] ‘hail’
PAlb. *bro̅uśVn- {1} < QIE *bhro̅us-e/on- (AE 109)
PIE *, root *bhrus- _?_ (Pok. 171)
OHG bro̅s(a)ma ‘crumb, bend’
Notes: {1} [AL/MdV] The form can also reflect PALb. *breuśVn- < qIE *bhreus-e/on-.

bri / brĩ [m] {1} ‘horn(s), antlers’
PAlb. *bri̅ {2}
Alb. brith [m] (t) {3} ‘pimple, whelk’ (AE 110)
PIE *bhrih[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB] {4} {5} ‘point, tip, bolt’ _?_ (Pok. 108)
Notes: {1} Seldom in Gheg. {2} Entered the declension of the Alb. nouns with -n-stem quite recently, during the historical period of Albanian. {3} Often occurs in metathesized form birth. {4} Original dual. {5} [MdV] Since the IE root *bhr- (Pok. 108) is hardly ever attested, it may be better to derive bri from PIE *h[SUB][SIZE=-2]3[/SIZE][/SUB]bhruH- ‘(eye-)brow’, although the semantic development is unique for this root.

brumë [n/m] (tg) ‘dough, paste, soft material’
PAlb. *brum- < QIE *bhrh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]u-mo-
Alb. burmë [f] (g) ‘ripe fig’ (AE 111)
PIE *bhreh[SUB][SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE][/SUB]u- ‘to boil up, ferment’ _+_ (Pok. 143)
Lat. de̅frutum ‘new wine’

bung {1} [m] (tg) ‘kind of oak’
PAlb. *ba̅ng-(a̅̆) {2}
Alb. bungë [f] (tg) ‘kind of oak’ (AE 112)
PIE *bheh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]ǵ-o- ‘beech, oak(-tree)’ _+_ (Pok. 107)
Gr. φηγός ‘kind of oak’
Lat. fa̅gus ‘beech, oak’
Notes: {1} From Alb. *bong(-). {2} Metathesized from b(h)a̅g-na̅.

burrë {1} [m] (tg) ‘man; husband’
PAlb. *bur- (AE 113)
PIE *bhh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]u-ro- _?_ (Pok. 146)
MoHG Bauer ‘countryman; husbandman’
Notes: {1} With expressive hard -r̄-.

(i) butë [adj] (tg) ‘soft, mellow, supple; tame(d)’
PAlb. *bugt-
Alb. zbut [verb] (tg) ‘to soak; tame’ {1} (AE 114)
PIE *bhug(h)-to- ‘ductile, molleable’ _+_ (Pok. 152)
Arm. bowt‘ ‘blunt, obtuse’
OIr. bocc ‘tener’
Notes: {1} A denominative verb with the prefix z-.

buzë [f sg/pl] {1} (tg) ‘lip’
PAlb. *bu-(dia̅) (AE 114)
PIE * _−_ (Pok. 103)
Lat. bucca ‘mouth’
MIr. bus ‘lip’
Notes: {1} Collective form in -zë < *-dhieh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]. Occurs usually in the plural.

(i) çalë {1} [adj] (tg) ‘lame, limping’
PAlb. * ̊śali- < QIE *skolio- (AE 117)
PIE *(s)kel- ‘to bend, swag, curve’ _+_ (Pok. 928)
Gr. σκολιός ‘crooked, bent’
Notes: {1} Alb. formation with the prefix d(ë)-.

dardhë [f] (tg) ‘pear(-tree)’
PAlb. *darda̅ {1} (AE 121) _−_ (Pok. 446)
Gr. ἄχερδος ‘pear(-tree)’
Notes: {1} An old loan-word.

darë / dãnë [f] {1} ‘tongs’
PAlb. *dakna̅ < QIE *dn̥ḱ-neh[SUB][SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE][/SUB]- (AE 122)
PIE *denḱ- ‘to bite’ _+_ (Pok. 201)
Gr. δάκνω ‘to bite’
OHG zanga ‘tongs’
Notes: {1} With secondarily rhotacized nasal.

darkë [f] (tg) ‘supper, dinner; evening, night’
PAlb. *darka̅ {1} < QIE *dorkw-o-, cf. dars, drekë (AE 122) _−_ {2} (Pok. 210)
Gr. δόρπον ‘supper, dinner; evening’

This thread has been viewed 453453 times.

Back