Politics Balkanian disagreements.

we all knew this was what the story was .............land grab ................how dishonest will albanian people be known as ( to the UN ) if this is done!
95% of kosova inhabitants were and are ethnic Albanian. The rest are a mix of Serbs, Turks, gypsies and goran. What do you mean by land grab. Since the time of dardani it was inhabited by ethnic Albanians. Maybe a small part was tracian. Albanian never grab lands from others.

After the ethnic cleansing, no one has left except the Albanians.

I do believe that was the plan from the beginning - as a member said - land grabbing.

You're kidding me now? You're the one who wanted the war. You're the one who started it, and you're the one who made sure that foundations for a new one were settled.

I am not proposing war. I am telling you that it is going to happen (like you don't know that?). And I ain't gonna be in in on the behalf of anyone. I am not Serbian, and as far as I'm concerned whole Kosovo could be nuked by Chinese, I wouldn't care anymore then I'd care for Finland or Australia. But, as usual, Serbians won't sit peacefully and let this little nazi plan of yours come true. That's why I like them. And your friends and neighbours are 10x more likely to be seen here fighting for US "national interests", as you people like to call it.
Can you elaborate, in which way Serbs are gonna invade Kosovo? Just curious. They were there armed with the whole their military machine , and even so they left away from there. KLA won and Serbia lost.

95% of kosova inhabitants were and are ethnic Albanian. The rest are a mix of Serbs, Turks, gypsies and goran. What do you mean by land grab. Since the time of dardani it was inhabited by ethnic Albanians. Maybe a small part was tracian. Albanian never grab lands from others.

if you have the time to read the agreement and creation of Kosovo, it states that if annexed by Albania a third of current Kosovo will be returned to Serbia.........I do not know why you even bring up "95% of kosovo inhabitants etc", the UN does not look at ethnicity when creating or agree to creating a nation or not a nation..... ....if they did look at ethnicity then Kurds, Assyrians, Basques , Frisians etc etc will already have their own nations.

if you have the time to read the agreement and creation of Kosovo, it states that if annexed by Albania a third of current Kosovo will be returned to Serbia.........

Who cares, with that perspective, Crimea should return Turkey and ect. I am sure that all countries have similar issues.

the UN does not look at ethnicity when creating or agree to creating a nation or not a nation..... ....if they did look at ethnicity then Kurds, Assyrians, Basques , Frisians etc etc will already have their own nations.

Palestine example shows the opposite of it. UN doesn't create countries, Un accepts countries as a member after they have already existed.

Who cares, with that perspective, Crimea should return Turkey and ect. I am sure that all countries have similar issues.

no one cares, but in time, the Albanians of Kosovo will be replaced by an ethnicity of people named Kosovians , there will be no more Albanians in kosovo..................that's the aim of these world leaders, thats the aim of the creation of Kosovo.................how do you think ethnicities are created!

no one cares, but in time, the Albanians of Kosovo will be replaced by an ethnicity of people named Kosovians , there will be no more Albanians in kosovo..................that's the aim of these world leaders, thats the aim of the creation of Kosovo.................how do you think ethnicities are created!

How don't you believe it doesn't? UN can't do it but Countries/people can create nations. People in Kosova can do it. Greek and Turk in Cyprus can be Cyprusian.

Where is the ethnic Hatti people? Where is the ancient Thracians? How they gone, genocide of entire population??? One day name Australian can be ethnic name.

Ethnicity is about national consciousness.

USA is a example. German origin people in USA is same with people in Germany, Austria. First generations will say We are speaking German, we are coming from Germany, after a few generation, they will say my ancestry is from German, after that they have no left to hold a national things except being American.

if you have the time to read the agreement and creation of Kosovo, it states that if annexed by Albania a third of current Kosovo will be returned to Serbia.........I do not know why you even bring up "95% of kosovo inhabitants etc", the UN does not look at ethnicity when creating or agree to creating a nation or not a nation..... ....if they did look at ethnicity then Kurds, Assyrians, Basques , Frisians etc etc will already have their own nations.
I was responding to someone else post. One third, mean 33% of the territory. I don't think that gonna happen. It would start a new war between Serbia and Kosovo. I don't think Serbia is prepared to go to a new war. Between 33% and 5% is a large gap. As I know kosovars, they are not easy to be defeated, especially now. I don't think they will leave their territory. Even the exchange of territory is difficult. I mean the exchange of North mitrovica to presheva valley.

First time heard about that agreement you mentioned above. Too much blood for that country. I don't think they are gonna let that go

Agree. There is a possibility that the Albanians of kosova are gonna change their national identity. This could happen passing the time. But probably it's too early. For the moment they identify themselves as ethnic Albanians. Their folklore is gheg Albanian. Their names, songs, heroes etc. I think if there will be held a referendum, the result would be absolute pro union

The situation is interesting. It's evident that you don't know nothing about Albanians, but you insist to participate in this disscusion. Just let me make an small correction, Kosovar(s), not Kosovians.

I have a question for the more knowledgeable about languages.From what I can tell there are basically 4 base languages in Europe, Latin, Germanic, Slavic, and Greek. North west Europe is Germanic, South West is Latin, and East is Slavic. The part that baffles me is why are there no other countries that use Greek as a base language? Now to be clear I'm talking about spoken language. Obviously the written languages, Greek Cyrillic, and Latin all derive from Greek, and that's what confuses me even more. The Greek written language is basically used in every European country, but the spoken language is as far as I know only used in Greece, and was only used in its current for for the last 200 years and then not until antiquity.So the basic question is: If Greek culture was so prominent, and Macedonia spread Greek culture through the world via Alexander, then why is it that the spoken Greek is not used by anyone today as a basis for a spoken language? Even most of Greece's native population today didn't speak Greek.To me it suggests that the written language predates the spoken, and historians mistakenly associate the two as both Greek. Where the written language was an already common universally popular language that Greeks as well as Macedonians and others already used. That would explain why their spoken language never caught on anywhere. The only evidence we have of "Greek" is written so we automatically assume that if they written in a certain language then the speak in a certain language. Yet if wee look at today, Latin is the written language for English and other Germanic languages, so by the same standard a 1000 years from now if we look back will we say that the Germans and the English speak Latin because they write in Latin, and even Latin is basically Greek. I just find it odd that the written language "spread" so easily and vastly but the spoken never did.Thoughts?

I have a question for the more knowledgeable about languages.From what I can tell there are basically 4 base languages in Europe, Latin, Germanic, Slavic, and Greek. North west Europe is Germanic, South West is Latin, and East is Slavic.

That's a very simplistic and simplified view. What about Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Breton, Cornish, Welsh, Basque, Albanian, Maltese, Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian, Saami, etc.?

Also, they are called the "Romance languages" (Spanish, French, Italian, etc.). They evolved from Latin, yes, but they are not the same as Latin.

The part that baffles me is why are there no other countries that use Greek as a base language? Now to be clear I'm talking about spoken language. Obviously the written languages, Greek Cyrillic, and Latin all derive from Greek, and that's what confuses me even more. The Greek written language is basically used in every European country, but the spoken language is as far as I know only used in Greece, and was only used in its current for for the last 200 years and then not until antiquity.So the basic question is: If Greek culture was so prominent, and Macedonia spread Greek culture through the world via Alexander, then why is it that the spoken Greek is not used by anyone today as a basis for a spoken language?

The short answer is: history happened. Alexander's conquests were circa 2300 years ago. World history happened in the meantime, notably the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, the Migration Period, the spread of Christianity and Islam (the latter accompanies by the expansion of the Arabic language), the Turkic migrations, the Mongol conquests. If you look at place names in the Near East and in Central Asia, you can still see some that were originally Greek, like "Alexandria" (Alexandria in Egypt, or Al-Iskandariyah as it is called in Arabic, but also Kandahar in Afghanistan), "Antiochia" (Antakya in southern Turkey), "Laodicea" (Al-Ladhiqiyah or Latakia in Lebanon), "Neapolis" (Nablus in the Palestinian West Bank) or "Ptolemais" (Ṭolmayta in Libya). As you can see, the traces of the former Greek presence in these areas are still visible today, even if the Greek language is no longer spoken there (and hasn't been spoken there for centuries). In contrast, much of western and northern Europe never had Greek presence to begin with (there were Greek colonies in what is now Mediterranean France and Spain, but these were no areas that Alexander ever conquered).

Even most of Greece's native population today didn't speak Greek.

That is not true. The area of modern Greece has been predominantly Greek throughout. There's also Greek spoken today in Cyprus, for example. And there was Greek spoken in much of Anatolia (especially Smyrna/Izmir) until the population exchanges between Turkey and Greece during the 20th century.

To me it suggests that the written language predates the spoken, and historians mistakenly associate the two as both Greek. Where the written language was an already common universally popular language that Greeks as well as Macedonians and others already used. That would explain why their spoken language never caught on anywhere. The only evidence we have of "Greek" is written so we automatically assume that if they written in a certain language then the speak in a certain language.

Historians make no mistake there. Modern Greek is the evolved form of the same language that was spoken 2300 years ago. One thing you must not underestimate is that languages are not static and continue to evolve.

Yet if wee look at today, Latin is the written language for English and other Germanic languages, so by the same standard a 1000 years from now if we look back will we say that the Germans and the English speak Latin because they write in Latin, and even Latin is basically Greek. I just find it odd that the written language "spread" so easily and vastly but the spoken never did.Thoughts?

That is, no offense to you, nonsense. Latin language and usage of the Latin alphabet are quite obviously two very different things. For example, in the 20th century, Turkish (a Turkic languages, later on other Turkic languages such as Azeri and Uzbek) and Vietnamese (an Austrasiatic language) were started to be written with Latin. This has obviously nothing to do with the Roman Empire and the romanization of the areas that the Roman Empire (in its day) conquered...

Last edited:
Can you elaborate, in which way Serbs are gonna invade Kosovo? Just curious. They were there armed with the whole their military machine , and even so they left away from there. KLA won and Serbia lost.

You have absolutely no idea what even happened here. I can't respond to this one.

Piro Ilir said:
First time heard about that agreement you mentioned above. Too much blood for that country. I don't think they are gonna let that go

You're talking about Serbians now? Because that's their opinion :)

@ Taranis.
We know the Romance, Germanic, and Slavic languages have been adopted by many different ethnic groups throughout history, but not so with Greek. Even Semitic is spoken by a number of different ethnic groups. The Berber languages are no different.

But Greek not so.
WHY?
So Taranis, why the greek language has no daughter languages?
Even most of Greece's native population today didn't speak Greek.
That is not true. The area of modern Greece has been predominantly Greek throughout. There's also Greek spoken today in Cyprus, for example. And there was Greek spoken in much of Anatolia (especially Smyrna/Izmir) until the population exchanges between Turkey and Greece during the 20th century.
It`s not true.
Read my post :
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/31367-Future-of-Greece?p=467640#post467640
History of the community and the language
The first Christian Albanian migrations to what is today Greek territory took place as early as the XI-XII centuries (Trudgill, 1975:5; Banfi, 1994:19), although the main ones most often mentioned in the bibliography happened in the XIV-XV centuries, when Albanians were invited to settle in depopulated areas by their Byzantine, Catalan or Florentine rulers (Tsitsipis, 1994:1; Trudgill, 1975:5; Nakratzas, 1992:20-24 & 78-90; Banfi, 1994:19). According to some authors, they were also fleeing forced Islamization by the Turks in what is today Albania (Katsanis, 1994:1). So, some have estimated that, when the Ottomans conquered the whole Greek territory in the XV century, some 45% of it was populated by Albanians (Trudgill, 1975:6). Another wave of Muslim Albanian migrations took place during the Ottoman period, mainly in the XVIII century (Trudgill, 1975:6; Banfi, 1994:19). All these Albanians are the ancestors of modern-day Arvanites in Central and Southern Greece.
So, 200 years ago 45% of population of Greece was Albanians. Then were Vlachs, Slavs, etc.. All these people do not speak Greek. A famous example was the case of the first President and Vice President of Greece. George Kunduriottes from Hydra and Botasses from Spetzia.
Read Finlay, greek revolution.
Two persons who could not adress them in Greek language.... these aliens in civilisation and race.
BookReaderImages.php

@ Taranis.
We know the Romance, Germanic, and Slavic languages have been adopted by many different ethnic groups throughout history, but not so with Greek. Even Semitic is spoken by a number of different ethnic groups. The Berber languages are no different.

But Greek not so.
WHY?
So Taranis, why the greek language has no daughter languages?

I stand by what I said (and I recommend you re-read my post): history happened. For example, imagine that the Byzantines had been victorious over the Arabs in the battle of Yarmouk, much of the eastern Mediterranean would likely still be speaking Greek today. Conversely, had the Arabs been more successful against the Byzantines, it is more probable that Anatolia would be speaking Arabic today, not Turkish. Also, I should remind you that ancient Greek actually has a daughter language, and that is Modern Greek.

I'd also like to remind you that unlike Greek, a large number of languages in the eastern Mediterranean in Antiquity became wholly extinct (the entire Anatolian language family became extinct with the Hellenization of Anatolia), virtually extinct except as a liturgical language (Coptic, the descendant of Ancient Egyptian) or severely marginalized (Aramaic, in the Antiquity the lingua franca of the Near East). Large parts of Western and Central Europe were Celtic-speaking in the Antiquity, and after the romanization of Western Europe and Migration Period, the Celtic languages were restricted to the west and north of the British Isles and to Brittany. This is part of history.

It`s not true.
Read my post :
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/31367-Future-of-Greece?p=467640#post467640

So, 200 years ago 45% of population of Greece was Albanians. Then were Vlachs, Slavs, etc.. All these people do not speak Greek. A famous example was the case of the first President and Vice President of Greece. George Kunduriottes from Hydra and Botasses from Spetzia.
Read Finlay, greek revolution.
Two persons who could not adress them in Greek language.... these aliens in civilisation and race.

I'm not going to address that. To be blunt, I have zero tolerance for the kind of historic revisionism that blows into the horn of "Albanians are the true heirs of Greco-Roman culture, not the modern Greeks". :useless:

I stand by what I said (and I recommend you re-read my post): history happened. For example, imagine that the Byzantines had been victorious over the Arabs in the battle of Yarmouk, much of the eastern Mediterranean would likely still be speaking Greek today. Conversely, had the Arabs been more successful against the Byzantines, it is more probable that Anatolia would be speaking Arabic today, not Turkish. Also, I should remind you that ancient Greek actually has a daughter language, and that is Modern Greek.

I'd also like to remind you that unlike Greek, a large number of languages in the eastern Mediterranean in Antiquity became wholly extinct (the entire Anatolian language family became extinct with the Hellenization of Anatolia), virtually extinct except as a liturgical language (Coptic, the descendant of Ancient Egyptian) or severely marginalized (Aramaic, in the Antiquity the lingua franca of the Near East). Large parts of Western and Central Europe were Celtic-speaking in the Antiquity, and after the romanization of Western Europe and Migration Period, the Celtic languages were restricted to the west and north of the British Isles and to Brittany. This is part of history.
Ok, i understand your point of view, history happened.

I'm not going to address that. To be blunt, I have zero tolerance for the kind of historic revisionism that blows into the horn of "Albanians are the true heirs of Greco-Roman culture, not the modern Greeks". :useless:
A report of Greek Helsinki full with references from different authors Greek and international and you call it historical revisionism? Strange.
"Albanians are the true heirs of Greco-Roman culture, not the modern Greeks".
useless.gif
In my opinion it`s ridiculous. Albanians are not the true heirs of Greco-Roman culture. First time i heard this theory. Where did you read this? Can you quote any author, pls?
About the modern greeks, i invite you to see this one hour lesson from a Greek scholar: Maria Efthimiou. Her style of explanation of the lesson, is very interesting. Anyone who has difficulty reading academic materials, can follow this 1-hour lesson.

Maria Efthimiou - The Arvanites of Greece

The lesson is in Greek, but with subs in English.

Who is Maria Efthimiou?

http://www.thetoc.gr/eng/culture-arts/article/maria-efthimiou-awarded-for-her-dedication-in-teaching

Maria Efthimiou: Awarded for her dedication in teaching

For the 23rd consecutive year, the institution of “best academic performance” was awarded to History professor Maria Efthimiou, for her dedication in teaching.
articleGal_173_197.w_hr.jpg

The President of the Hellenic Republic, Karolos Papoulias, gave an honorary award to professor Maria Efthimiou, professor of History and Archeology at the University of Athens.
Maria Efthimiou teaches World History and Greek History of the Turkish occupation period. During the past seven years she teaches history in Municipalities, cultural centers, jails and rehabilitation centers, taking part in the free education that the University of Athens offers. Up to now, she has taught more than 15 thousand students.

Ok, i understand your point of view, history happened.

A report of Greek Helsinki full with references from different authors Greek and international and you call it historical revisionism? Strange.

In my opinion it`s ridiculous. Albanians are not the true heirs of Greco-Roman culture. First time i heard this theory. Where did you read this? Can you quote any author, pls?
About the modern greeks, i invite you to see this one hour lesson from a Greek scholar: Maria Efthimiou. Her style of explanation of the lesson, is very interesting. Anyone who has difficulty reading academic materials, can follow this 1-hour lesson.

Maria Efthimiou - The Arvanites of Greece

The lesson is in Greek, but with subs in English.

Maria is following

http://groznijat.tripod.com/balkan/ehamp.html

Where Doric language replaced mycenean language from late bronze to early iron age in modern Greece
The epirotes/albanians would have been the end results
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epirote_League

@ Λαβερια

just crap,

you mention Κασομουλης, the describer,
BUT WHY YOU DID NOT MENTION KAΣΟΜΟΥΛΗΣ WAS MAKEDONIAN GREEK,
come on,
you video a funfair and you provide it scientific?
what about Sharakatsans?
did yoy hear them in your video?
Cretans?
Makedonians like Kasomoylis?
WHAT ABOUT PONTIC GREEKS?
they started the revolution,
the Ipsilanti brothers?

But no,
for you only the few Arbanites who were trained at Ali pasha army are the heroes,
but for me not,

AGAIN YOU STEAL HEROES?
YOU CLAIM AS YOUR HEROE KASTRIOTI BUT YOU FOLLOW BALABAN PASHA,
NOW YOU WANT TO STEAL THE GREEK REVOLT,
WHICH YOU WERE THE BIGEST ENEMY,
what happened to Muhtar pasha the lion of Albania when met KARAISKAKIS?
What happened at the Battle of Lalla?
come on Turk, back to your holes
ALBANIAN WERE ALLIED WITH TURKS, AND THE BIGGEST ENEMY OF GREEK REVOLT,
DO NOT STEAL HEROES OF GREEK REVOLT,
YOU FOLLOWED MAHMUT PASHA SKODRA AND SILLIHTAR BODA

an answer to you
by a Sharakatsan (Makedonian mountain cast that expand from Epirus to Bulgaria to Roumeli)

Karaiskakis (kara-skje, son of a monk woman and a 'skje')

as written in his memories

Karaiskaskis
F**K your faith and your Mohamet.
Are n't you ashamed to ask treaty from us?
with one gkotzia shultan shity mahmout (the lion of Albania, MAHMUT PASHA SKODRA was his turkish name,) I will shit on him and on the Vezir (Ottoman title) and the Jew(banker) Sillihtar Boda (known Separadim family from Trikala, bank owners, who lend money to Turkish army) the whore,
IF I COME BACK, I WILL F**K THEM, IF I DIE THEY WILL FART MY D**K.

ANYWAY THE VIDEO YOU PUT IS SAYING PART OF TRUTH,
WHY? SEARCH BETTER,
JUST ASK WHY SHE DOES MENTION KASOMOULIS ORIGIN!!!!

NOW ASK YOUR SHELF
AT 1550 Catholic Monks describe Dyrrachium and said that 2nd most spoken was Greek, after Latin,
what happened to them?
until 1780 Greek minority existed still there,
what left today?
you know well, simply you are afraid to tell,
cause you know, behind of 50% of Albanian speakers, is hidden a Greek that was forced to get Albanized

Last edited:
Ah, again you. After you excelled with the kososvians now you want to speak about epinotians.
But this thread is about the greek language, not about epir and albanians.

you have a problem reading anything beyond the first sentence .................I noticed this to all your response to others as well, it must mean some form of attention deficit

This thread has been viewed 453320 times.

Back