36,200YBP European genome

I don't really buy it. Till we get a genome of real NEF we should get carried away with this. They could be related to WHG somewhat and this would make NEF genom proportion bigger in Europeans.
What is with the naming anyway? "Asian Steppe Invaders"? They didn't invade the steppe. They were from the steppe.

Look at the font.

Unlikely that ANE brought Blond Hair, because the very first European to have the combination of light eyes, skin and hair was a farmer from Hungary. I don't think that these traits collerate with some ancient components. It's more of an "Caucasian" thing. And could have evolved in groups with various backgrounds.

I think blond hair is likely the product of mixture of different depigmentation genes that occurred among different populations - possibly for different reasons. For example say it takes three components and some populations only have two. ANE could have brought one of the components.

Last edited:
Look what I found

hammer-2014-32.jpg

So basically as I thought. The best genetic proxy for Ancient North Eurasians were the Kalash.

Something is off here. I thought MA-1=ANE but if you look near the top, MA-1 has only partial ANE, less than Kalash. And what is Asian Steppe Invader?

It's photo shopped. Look at the font of "Asian Steppe Invader". The angle/light is wrong.

"EEF" "WHG" "ANE" and "MA1" look a bit off too but it's not so clear.

I see it now, you could be right. The first picture was taken from computer screen and then "Steppe Invader" added during editing of this new picture.

I think blond hair is likely the product of mixture of different depigmentation genes that occurred among different populations - possibly for different reasons. For example say it takes three components and some populations only have two. ANE could have brought one of the components.

That reminds me, Genetiker made a post where he computed the frequencies of the SNP most strongly associated with blue eyes for many different populations here: https://genetiker.wordpress.com/201...blue-eyes-snp-rs12913832-in-hgdp-populations/

And apparently, for the Karitiana (an isolated south American tribe) 34.6% of them have at least one G, and 7.7% of them have both G's. And the G allele is present in lower frequencies in some other Amerindian tribes.

I wouldn't have thought that something like 7.7% of the Karitiana would have blue (or green) eyes - at least, I've never heard of any of them with that trait - although I could be wrong. Maybe there are other genes that Europeans have that influence having blue eyes, that are lacking in the Karitiana.

That reminds me, Genetiker made a post where he computed the frequencies of the SNP most strongly associated with blue eyes for many different populations here: https://genetiker.wordpress.com/201...blue-eyes-snp-rs12913832-in-hgdp-populations/

And apparently, for the Karitiana (an isolated south American tribe) 34.6% of them have at least one G, and 7.7% of them have both G's. And the G allele is present in lower frequencies in some other Amerindian tribes.

I wouldn't have thought that something like 7.7% of the Karitiana would have blue (or green) eyes - at least, I've never heard of any of them with that trait - although I could be wrong. Maybe there are other genes that Europeans have that influence having blue eyes, that are lacking in the Karitiana.
True, genetic research into depigmentation is not complete yet.

?
I need some help with this.

Edit: I see you guys are right the "Asian Steppe Invaders" was probably edited into it.

Something is off here. I thought MA-1=ANE but if you look near the top, MA-1 has only partial ANE, less than Kalash. And what is Asian Steppe Invader?

As far as I have understand. Mal'ta is not taken as proxy for ANE but he was one of the first to have been mixed with this component. Thats their theory.

Malta is the younger fo the 3 "old men": (of women? I don't know for all of the three) BUT he is the FARTHER EAST of them, the 2 others being in Eurasian Russia if I'm not wrong

error mistake, sorry
"veteran" Ist'Ushim is around the Urals, not very in middle of european Russia! but it is farther West than Mal'ta (adn less 'North Siberian'-'Amerindian'

Doesn't seem photshopped to me. The yellow background just makes the font more sharp than the darker ones. The font to the right on white background is equally sharp.
And I don't see anything wrong with the angle.

Yes, with better resolution, you're right.

It's a little off in terms of strict correlation with ANE, perhaps because it's a combination signal with both WHG and ANE, and a little of other things as well? ANE for Sardinians is 8%, for Basques it's .114, which is actually a little more than for north Italy, which is .108.

Yes, WHG and ANE are indeed strongly linked, which should not be forgotten. In conclusion, Basques have both, more ANE and more WHG than north Italy. I don't have the numbers at hand but if I remember correctly, even ANE/WHG ratio is higher in north Italy than in Basque country.

Look at this old Cavalli-Sforza map based only on blood proteins:
http://www.bmanuel.org/corling/euIt_comp3++_.jpg

Unfortunately, Sardinia isn't included.

This map does not fit ANE admixture well. It rather matches the R1a distribution or the satem-speaking groups.

That sounds like a possible clue.

edit: now I think of it I remember reading about a north American tribe said to have or to have had lots of grey/green eyes. Will try to remember the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandan

This thread has been viewed 68681 times.

Back