New map of haplogroup R1a-M458 (Y-DNA)

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I have created a new map of R1a-M458, a lineage which I associate with the Corded Ware expansion and which peaks in West Slavic countries today. The Underhill et al. 2014 paper provided a rough distribution map of R1a-M458, but I wasn't satisfied by its accuracy (it is auto-generated, not hand-made like mine). For example I have drawn the exact data for the Caucasus and the Volga-Ural region. I have also recalculated some percentages based on my Y-DNA frequencies. It does not affect a lot of regions, but in some cases the gap is considerable, and Underhill et al. had far fewer samples. E.g. for Hungary I have over 800 samples totalling 29.5% of R1a, while Underhill et al. had 18.6% of R1a out of 113 samples.

Haplogroup-R1a-M458.png

Thanks! Very useful.

Edit: based on this map it seems that m458 never went into Italy as part of Goths, Langobards or other East Germanic tribal unions.
So, interesting ideas about connecting this marker to East Germans are not correct.

I have created a new map of R1a-M458, a lineage which I associate with the Corded Ware expansion and which peaks in West Slavic countries today. The Underhill et al. 2014 paper provided a rough distribution map of R1a-M458, but I wasn't satisfied by its accuracy (it is auto-generated, not hand-made like mine). For example I have drawn the exact data for the Caucasus and the Volga-Ural region. I have also recalculated some percentages based on my Y-DNA frequencies. It does not affect a lot of regions, but in some cases the gap is considerable, and Underhill et al. had far fewer samples. E.g. for Hungary I have over 800 samples totalling 29.5% of R1a, while Underhill et al. had 18.6% of R1a out of 113 samples.

Very interesting! Thanks! I have been waiting for R1a subclade maps for a while. This one looks very interesting and awesome.

You could start adding a small time stamp on your new maps. Like Dec 2014.

Without referencing the studies/sample data you are using these maps are worthless.

Without referencing the studies/sample data you are using these maps are worthless.
WTH the map was totally generated with sources. You think someone like Maciamo would just go and make and generate maps like this for no reason? Look up the subclade of M458; there will be pages with several sources on DNA gathering by country and number and percentage...

It is so rare in Scandinavia that I have my doubts that it was carried around with Corded Ware. It resembles Slavic Expansion more than anything.

It is so rare in Scandinavia that I have my doubts that it was carried around with Corded Ware. It resembles Slavic Expansion more than anything.

I agree about it not resembling Corded Ware, I would say Scythian -> Sarmatian -> Slavic. Corded Ware would be Z284, but Corded Ware and Scythian sharing a common origin (as evidenced by mtDNA H2a1).

I agree about it not resembling Corded Ware, I would say Scythian -> Sarmatian -> Slavic. Corded Ware would be Z284, but Corded Ware and Scythian sharing a common origin (as evidenced by mtDNA H2a1).

what language spoke Scyths/Sarmats? wasn't it Iranic?
what would be the common Corded Ware / Scythian origin?

of course, M458 were the northern Slavs, the northern Slavs were just one of many corded ware tribes

M458 joins Croats, Czechs and Poles (Lechs?).
About Croats this is written:
Some historians present opinions, that ancient Croats were of Scytho-Sarmatian[2] or Oghur Turkic[3][4] origin.
This is from wiki about "White Croats": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Croats
As you see from wiki they probably came from modern Polish territory. Also there are theories of their ethnonime as Iranian.

Poles had romantic theories of being descendants of Sarmatians...

I say there is some chance of M458 being Sarmat marker..

So Maciamo, which is the subclade of R1a in Italy?

M458 joins Croats, Czechs and Poles (Lechs?).
About Croats this is written:
Some historians present opinions, that ancient Croats were of Scytho-Sarmatian[2] or OghurTurkic[3][4] origin.
This is from wiki about "White Croats": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Croats
As you see from wiki they probably came from modern Polish territory. Also there are theories of their ethnonime as Iranian.

Poles had romantic theories of being descendants of Sarmatians...

I say there is some chance of M458 being Sarmat marker..
It isn't necessarily descendants of Sarmatians ... Scythians and other Indo-Aryans (because the Slavs are not; they are descendants of SLAVS) if anything, they are more likely to be relative to Indo-Aryans, but were not Indo-Aryans ... distinct tribes who carried the same paternal Haplogroup clade of R1a and were related. (the tribes were likely undocumented by Greeks and Roman sources. we will probably never know.)

Of course it's very likely that Slavic people do have Sarmatian or Scythian in them; but I would guess that the mixture would not be very exaggerated ... I also believe that Indo-Aryans may have carried G2a at a very high frequency ... which would explain why the Alans/Ossetians carry this Y-DNA at a high frequency and R1a is a little more rare.

Just to simplify things for everyone.

(Also, I think I heard a theory ... that the Thracians were originally Indo-Aryans themselves ... but the Greeks renamed them Thracians, because they inhabited Thrace. But don't take my word for it... research this claim yourselves. I have no idea if this is true. The etymology of the word Thrace is even more mysterious.)

Of course it's very likely that Slavic people do have Sarmatian or Scythian in them; but I would guess that the mixture would not be very exaggerated ... I also believe that Indo-Aryans may have carried G2a at a very high frequency ... which would explain why the Alans/Ossetians carry this Y-DNA at a high frequency and R1a is a little more rare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossetians#Genetics
The Y-haplogroup data indicate that North Ossetians are more similar to other North Caucasian groups, and South Ossetians are more similar to other South Caucasian groups, than to each other. Also, with respect to mtDNA, Ossetians are significantly more similar to Iranian groups than to Caucasian groups. It is thus suggested that there is a common origin of Ossetians from Iran, followed by subsequent male-mediated migrations from their Caucasian neighbours (bolded parts mine).

So, who knows. Without ancient dna all I can do is speculate :)

on the map where R1a is shown in north-east italy , it is Z280

Most of the R1a in Italy is the eastern European Z280>CTS1211 (common around Poland and Ukraine), which I believe was brought by the Goths. Nevertheless there is little bit of M458, but only above 1% in South Tyrol and the Friulian Alps.

Thanks for this GREAT map, man!

How I do understand this map? Well, as you can see the variance of R1a in Europe is not high. R1a entered Europe from West Asia*(Maykop? Leyla-Tepe?) and the population exploded after that. High distribution of R1a in some parts of Europe is due to a bottleneck, because they are all the same.

* I do belong to a R1a* Y-DNA haplogroup which is older than the European R1a, and I'm an Ezdi Kurd and belong to an 'Iranoid' race. Although, most Iranoid folks outside Kurdistan that belong to R1a are mostly R1a-Z93, so make your conclusions…

@Maciamo

Are you sure nothing's wrong with coloring. You say you get 30% in Hungary, but it doesn't match that shade of orange. Your map says 5-10%

Very Interesting map, thanks for sharing.

This thread has been viewed 60740 times.

Back