Recognizing ethnicity by the nose.

Sorry for the title of this post, but I couldn't find examples till I typed this into google search.

This one is common in French or Alpine, and maybe Ashkenazi, (according to me :).
I think Depardieu is an extreme example but very characteristic. Nose is sort of wide at the tip with characteristic groove in the middle.
DEPARDIEU-2.jpg

Swiss movie director:

m1-8.jpg

BillClinton.jpg

Very interesting look. The cleft in both, nose and chin. Could indicate towards two completely opposite types of face shapes within her ancestry.

In my opinion, the further west in Europe you go, the straighter the noses are. As a south Western European (Portuguese), most Portuguese I have met have straight, high bridge narrow noses. If I had to guess, since Western Europeans are predominately Celtic people’s, the Celts have a genetic tendency for this sort of nose type

Could you tell my ethnicity by my nose? UNKEMPT QUARANTINE STYLE! IMG_0144.jpg

In my opinion, the further west in Europe you go, the straighter the noses are. As a south Western European (Portuguese), most Portuguese I have met have straight, high bridge narrow noses. If I had to guess, since Western Europeans are predominately Celtic people’s, the Celts have a genetic tendency for this sort of nose type

I don't think it's an east/west cline. Slavs normally don't have convex noses. Perhaps it's southeast/northwest?

Then, like all generalizations there are a lot of exceptions.

Wordsworth:
William%2BWordsworth%2B07.fav.jpg

Elizabeth I
elizabeth-i-of-england-1.jpg

Perhaps it's a Norman ancestry, upper class thing?

France is north of Iberia and west of Italy. Francis I:

l_pl9_37412_fnt_sl_t-2.jpg

Iberians are primarily small Med. and have a bit less Iran Neo than other Southern Europeans according to the latest analyses, which might explain it.

I have always thought the nose and forhead are really good indicators of ancestry.

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_133400864.jpg
    IMG_20200514_133400864.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20200514_133133069.jpg
    IMG_20200514_133133069.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 54
According to Chinese face reading nose shape tells a lot about one's character. The rounder and fleshier the nose looks like, the greater the luck for wealth. Not only that, the nostrils should not be visible from the front view at eye level, because otherwise, the person may be a spender and the wealth (or energy) will leak out ...

_104504340_jackma1.jpg

jackie-chan-640x360.jpg

I love Chinese metaphysics in cultural terms. In the reality it could be some features of the character correlate with facial features. For instance, the Roman face with high nose bridge always makes an impression of a person with a very strong will.
fd0d549bcf98fecea8f0fa1f194bf721.jpg
ff7389350c8c30596a46615e99ab1cf6.jpg

Alexandre the Great

Prominent noses seem to be dominant, so their appearance doesn't, imo, point to majority ancestry. In other words, it can have more impact on phenotype than the percentage of admixture might indicate.

The same is true of dark hair and dark eyes, although it's a bit more complicated than that, especially as concerns eye color.

This is how a nose of a wealthy man should look like
show-photo.jpg

[FONT=&quot]American businessmen, owner of the reputed confectionary company “Mars, Incorporated” and 82,000 acre “Diamond Cross Ranch”, Mars is the richest man in Virginia, 26th richest American and the 52nd richest person in the world.[/FONT]https://prabook.com/web/forrest_edward.mars_jr./1031352

l_pl9_37412_fnt_sl_t-2.jpg

Following Chinese face reading Francis' nose tells us of extreme ambition (a very long nose compared to other facial features), he aims to achieve its goals in a methodical manner (straight nose), fiercely fights for what he believes is right (a slight bum on the nose) and well protects his own interests (downward pointing nose)
From Wiki:
Francis' personal emblem was the salamander and his Latin motto was Nutrisco et extinguo ("I nourish [the good] and extinguish [the bad]").[citation needed]

His long nose earned him the nickname François du Grand Nez ("Francis of the Big Nose"), he was also colloquially known as the "Grand Colas" or "Bonhomme Colas". For his personal involvement in battles, he was known as le Roi-Chevalier ("the Knight-King") or the le Roi-Guerrier ("the Warrior-King").[38]

It's interesting to notice how a certain physical trait, as red hair, could imply other conditions sometimes, such sensitivity to pain.

"The MC1R gene that can cause red hair codes for a receptor that is related to a family of receptors involved in perceiving pain, which may explain why mutations in MC1R would increase pain perception."

https://www.livescience.com/39095-redhead-health-risks.html

However, there is no evidence that genetics of nose shape - and of most of physical characters akin - directly affects other "impalpable" traits in such fashion, afaik.
IIRC, more than 100 years ago convex nose was associated by some people to certain negative personality traits, but that kind of cause-effect relationship would have been proven pseudo-science, naturally. Possibly it had to do with the anti-Semitism of those times.
Btw, one of my cousins had this convex nose, then I believe some related alleles are running in family, je je. I say "had" because he has done a plastic surgery. Imo he should not have done it, but...

Well, Lorenzo de Medici was the richest man of his time in Europe, perhaps in the known world of his time, so wealthy that descendants of small money lenders became bankers and then the progenitors of royalty.

Artista_fiorentino,_ritratto_di_Lorenzo_de'_Medici,_terracotta_policroma,_probabilmente_da_un_modello_di_verrocchio_e_orsino_benintendi,_XV-XVI_sec_02.JPG

For a man who so loved beauty, he was, rather ironically, a very unattractive man. To be fair, it looks as if his nose was broken and pushed to one side. Also, in the interest of full disclosure, he didn't add to his family's wealth, which was actually created by his great-grandfather Giovanni, and his grandfather Cosimo, both of whom were also homely men. They were like the Windsors; no matter how many good looking women they married, homely always won out. :)

e9d4140214bee8a204900523018678fe.jpg

I don't think Cosimo's nose was probably very wide, but I don't know because all pictures of him I've seen are in profile, as if he wanted to highlight his nose for some unknown reason.

130302-004-A744257F.jpg

People's ideas of beauty change according to place, time, social status of a new incoming elite, ideology etc.

I do think that strong noses in men even now indicate, at least in western Europe, strength.

Say, a Liam Neeson type.

latest

Brazilian Ana Hickman has the most beautiful nose I've ever seen. She has German and iberian descent

3289753-ana-hickmann-atesta-negativo-para-o-coro-624x600-2.jpg

9k=

anahickmann.jpg

anahickmann.jpg

ana-hickmann-1280x720.jpg

ana-hickmann-hair-27022020124544982

3079913-o-jornalista-paulo-henrique-amorim-morre-950x0-2.jpg

I believe that in the west and southwest in Europe the noses are usually more delicate and thin. In the northeast, they are wider and in the southeast more convex.

Brazilian Ana Hickman has the most beautiful nose I've ever seen. She has German and iberian descent

9k=

anahickmann.jpg

anahickmann.jpg

Thought Ana Hickmann is granddaughter of Germans. Are you sure she has also Iberian ancestry?
Keep in mind that the family name Corrêa comes from her husband Alexandre Corrêa, not from her father João Hickmann. Her mother is Reni Saath.

reni-saath-ana-hickmann-1557518669652_v2_450x450.jpg

Thought Ana Hickmann is granddaughter of Germans. Didn't know she has also Iberian ancestry. Do you have a source?
Keep in mind that the family name Corrêa comes from her husband Alexandre Corrêa, not from her father, who is Hickmann. Her mother is Saath.

She talked about this a few times when she presented the program 'Hoje em Dia'. Even in southern Brazil it is almost impossible for someone not to have Iberian descent. The Germans who came to Brazil mixed with Iberians and natives.
Even Brazilians of German and Polish descent are at least 40% Iberian. Most of the time the descent from other parts of Europe is no more than 30%. There is research on this - I have already published about autosomal genetics. Most of the descendants of Brazilian whites are Iberian, followed by the Italian and only later Germanic. Brazilians with Germanic surnames are not usually more Germanic than Iberian or Italian.

9k=

anahickmann.jpg

anahickmann.jpg

Paulo Henrique Amorim and Ana Hickmann. Nice picture. I'm a fan of both. I was very shaken by Amorim's death.

PS: OMG. Paulo Henrique Amorim looks like a dwarf close to Ana Hickman. I went to check your bio. She has 1.86m of high, the same high of my older brother. I have 1.82m. When I was a child, my father took pictures with me and my two brothers at city ​​park Rennè Giannetti, in Belo Horizonte’s downtown, and he puts us on a staircase formation. My older brother always on the left, my younger brother on center and I totally right, because I am the shortest of the three. I don't show the pictures because I'm always crying or embarrassed. I hated that. Even I would be very low beside Hickmann, mainly because she is wearing this high heel. LOL

She talked about this a few times when she presented the program 'Hoje em Dia'. Even in southern Brazil it is almost impossible for someone not to have Iberian descent. The Germans who came to Brazil mixed with Iberians and natives.
Even Brazilians of German and Polish descent are at least 40% Iberian. Most of the time the descent from other parts of Europe is no more than 30%. There is research on this - I have already published about autosomal genetics. Most of the descendants of Brazilian whites are Iberian, followed by the Italian and only later Germanic. Brazilians with Germanic surnames are not usually more Germanic than Iberian or Italian.
Did she? I don't doubt, but I'd like to see it, since I thought she was German in ancestry, given the area where she comes from and the data available on internet. If she is also Iberian, then she is. No problem. But that would be news for me.
As for the study you posted, hmm, again: it includes the city of Pelotas only, not South Brazil as a whole, neither the state of Rio Grande do Sul entirely. And no, it's not almost impossible for someone in S. Brazil not to have Iberian descent (no offense, but this statement is not correct). This is not good nor bad. It is what it is. I'm from RS, btw, and I don't. I also know one or two things about the place where I was born. :) I naturally knew many, many people in there who don't have Iberian descent either. It depends on the area, of course. There're virtually whole cities in which people have almost only N. Italian ancestry, German, a mix of these two... And where people actually still speak the related dialects. Indeed, I dated a girl from another city who had only Germans in her tree (to provide one example), not to mention full N. Italians dates (not my choice; they were just frequent). The German one is 2nd great-granddaughter of Germans, or something; amazingly, her family still spoke Hunsrückisch (also Portuguese, obviously), after so many generations.
Now, am I saying that most of "gaúchos" has no Iberian ancestry? No, I'm not. Not sure about SC, but most of gaúchos must have also Iberian ancestry, yes. It's a big state. What I'm saying is that many don't, and the frequency will depend on the area we're talking about: the highest ones are in big part of Serra Gaúcha, certain cities of Vale dos Sinos, Vale do Taquari, Vale do Rio Pardo (Ana Hickman's area), parts of Planalto Médio or north of the state as a whole... In SC, all state with exception of Campos de Cima and the coast.

So, what I'm saying is that it's not almost impossible to find them. Far from that. Perhaps it's true for Southeast region? Possibly with exception of parts of ES...
Anyway, these "Europeans" areas are actually the source of that "Southern" stereotype of light people. A stereotype that doesn't make sense for big part of the South, obviously.

This thread has been viewed 349882 times.

Back