The eyes of god

oldeuropeanculture

Reaction score
prohodna%u00252Bcave%u00252B3.jpg

Prohodna (Bulgarian: Проходна) is a karst cave in north central Bulgaria, located in the Iskar Gorge near the village of Karlukovo in Lukovit Municipality, Lovech Province. On a sunny day, as you approach the entrance, you are greeted with two shining eyes staring at you from the darkness of the cave....I believe that this cave could be the place where the idea of a giant anthropomorphic hairy sky god arose for the first time...What do you think?

You can read more here:

http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-eyes-of-god.html

Sky deities don't generally live in caves. I think they live in the Sun, the Moon and Stars. If I approached that cave and saw those eyes, I would think that either an underworld deity or some other underground entity had come up to the surface from down below.

Aberdeen what about Shiva and Osiris who were both celebrated in caves? Strange thing for sky gods. Also what about all the cavern temples dedicated to sun worship like New Grange?

Neither Shiva nor Osiris are Sky Gods. Shiva the Destroyer is a God of transformation and karma, as well as being Lord of the Beasts. He is a very complex deity who does have a crescent Moon as one of his symbols, but he's not a Sky God the way Indra is.

http://hinduism.about.com/od/lordshiva/p/shiva.htm

Osiris is a green skinned God of the Underworld.

www.touregypt.net/godsofegypt/osiris.htm

In any case, worshipping a Sky God in a cave wouldn't mean that he was thought to live in a cave. New Grange seems to have been created to honour the Returning Sun, because the best way to see sunlight clearly is in darkness but I don't think that means its builders thought the Sun lived inside the structure. Any deity could be worshipped in a cave but caves were probably only thought of as the passageway to the dwelling place of underworld deities.

Also what about all the cavern temples dedicated to sun worship like New Grange?
I don`t think, OEC. it is correct at all to say Newgrange was built for "sun worship". Certainly it was deliberately and splendidly aligned to the winter solstice, signalling New Year and rebirth, the pattern of birth, death and rebirth as the triple spiral pattern might indicate..but this is quite different from actually worshipping the sun as a deity. Newgrange and Knowth were places for the dead and it seems more likely the deity being recognised was mother earth..and this would be understandable for early farmers..the earth had been good to them.
Come forward a few hundred years and we see Newgrange and Knowth no longer being used with different types of monuments going up, such as Stonehenge. People clearly have stopped worshipping the earth in the same way and begin turning their attention to the skies and such.
However I believe at Tara, [Mound Of The Hostages] the practise of the Passage Tomb remained in use for a longer period with a large number of skeletal remains found there..stacked high.

It would be fascinating to know the spiritual beliefs of the Neolithic Irish. I guess we'll never know whether they had a concept of deity similar to what we have or whether their views were something quite different. They certainly seem to have been attuned to the landscape, choosing their ritual sites quite carefully. And obviously sites such as New Grange prove that the Sun cycle was important to them, but we can't know how they saw things.

It would be fascinating to know the spiritual beliefs of the Neolithic Irish. I guess we'll never know whether they had a concept of deity similar to what we have or whether their views were something quite different. They certainly seem to have been attuned to the landscape, choosing their ritual sites quite carefully. And obviously sites such as New Grange prove that the Sun cycle was important to them, but we can't know how they saw things.
You`re right Aberdeen, there is no way to know exactly what their spiritual outlook was, no-one really knows,not even the experts. We can make educated guesses, some of them may even come close to their actual system of beliefs, most are however probably way off mark. No matter how we try to see things as they might have, we still for all our effort see things from our modern perspective and try to interpret from there.
Definitely they had a knowledge of the suns progress throughout the year. Take for instance Carrowmore, it was in use before Newgrange, yet in one of the passage graves there [ I think its tomb G] there is a roofbox such as in Newgrange. So marking the sun at various points was something important. Some might interpret it as sun worship [ I don`t know many who say such]. It is likely more useful for marking out seasons etc. Of course there is no proof to say the sun may not have been revered. I think these early people likely revered much in nature, such as the earth and elements. They probably had a set of beliefs regarding such, not only one.
I suspect the earth would have been high on the list, as it gave life to crops and fed animals.
Whatever the belief system, the tombs are fantastic and the skill and labour involved, tremendous. I suspect there was some priestly class in charge and I also feel they likely travelled between the tombs here and those in Orkney and mainland Britain...recall the macehead found at Knowth, made from flint found only in Orkney.

I think ancient people realized they needed the Sun just as much as they needed the Earth, so they probably revered both, in my opinion. I just don't know whether they had the same concept of anthropomorphized deities that we have today and that we tend to think of as a universal human tendency. So "reverence" might be more accurate than "worship", depending on their belief system.

I think ancient people realized they needed the Sun just as much as they needed the Earth, so they probably revered both, in my opinion.
Yes I believe so and I agree with this.

This thread has been viewed 5219 times.

Back