Im a I1* and U5a1a, what does that tell me?

Rilind Gashi

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1*
mtDNA haplogroup
U5a1a
Im from Kosovo, from a place in the heart of Kosovo called Drenas, Drenica, probably the most ethnically pure area in the whole country, even before the war. Mothers side is not that far away in a place called Klina.

99.8 % Europe

->87.2 % Balkan

*23andme

Mire se erdhe, Rilind! In order to actually make sense of your y-dna, you need to test through ftdna and see which clade you belong first. However, what I have seen of I1 so far on the Balkans, all seem to be Norman and Gothic derived. Clades that have been found so far on some Montenegrin Clans are I1 P109 Drobnjaci, and Z63 on Macura. I1 P109 most definitely spread through coastal Albania inland during the Norman expedition of Robert Guiscard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Guiscard.

Also have a look at our Albanian project here:https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Abanian_DNA_Poject/default.aspx?section=results

Nejse, une te njohe ty sepse t'kam edhe ne 23andme, po ashtu e di edhe i cilit katun je, sepse edhe une jam prej Drenasit. Sic thash vetem permes ftdna mundesh ta dish se ciles snp i takon, dhe mundesh ti testojsh str's.

I suspect I1 moved south with R1b from central-east Europe as the Illyrians. I believe I-M223 came with them as well. I don't know your history, but I am just speculating knowing what I know about haplogroup distribution. Think the Austria area but thousands of years ago.

I'm sorry but Normans have nothing to do with it. Maybe I could say Arabs spread some of that J2 to the region too. It would likely be wrong, but probably more justified.

I suspect I1 moved south with R1b from central-east Europe as the Illyrians. I believe I-M223 came with them as well. I don't know your history, but I am just speculating knowing what I know about haplogroup distribution. Think the Austria area but thousands of years ago.

I'm sorry but Normans have nothing to do with it. Maybe I could say Arabs spread some of that J2 to the region too. It would likely be wrong, but probably more justified.
I am not sure what exactly Rilind is, since he has only tested through 23andme, so I will not speculate. When I mentioned P109 I was specifically speaking about the "Balkan Cluter" of this branch that has been found among Serbs and Croats. What makes this more interesting is that all these Balkan samples have found an exact match in Catania Sicily (Norman stronghold), and their common ancestor has lived about 850 years ago, so roughly around 12 century when Normans increased their activities on the Balkans.

All the I1 Albanians have either tested with 23andme or National geographic, so we still don't know on what cluster they fall in.

Im from Kosovo, from a place in the heart of Kosovo called Drenas, Drenica, probably the most ethnically pure area in the whole country, even before the war. Mothers side is not that far away in a place called Klina.

99.8 % Europe

->87.2 % Balkan

*23andme

I doubt you're I1*, there's probably an I1 subclade you belong to that 23andme did not test. Here's an mtDNA predictor which can further define your mtDNA.

It's pretty coincidental you immigrated to Sweden and belong to I1, the most popular Y DNA there. There's a 7,000YBP I1 sample from Neolithic Hungary, which isn't terribly far away from Albania. It's origins and history are very debated by hg I experts. Most agree hg I is of Upper Palaeolithic European origin, partly because of the load of Y DNA I samples from Mesolithic Europe. I1 was probably running around central(inclu. Balkans)-north Europe during the Mesolithic and Neolithic.

mtDNA U5a1a is also of Upper Paleolithic European origin. One of the oldest mtDNA samples from Europe(29,000YBP) was U5*. There's plenty of U5a1a'g samples from ancient Europe, including early farmers from Hungary and Germany, and bronze age IEs from Russia. U5a1 appears to be a more east European lineage, and could have originated there. Your U5a1a and I1 were probably in the same general region central-east Europe for many many many many thousands of years.

ok i see, is the Y67markers sufficient enough to tell me what i need to know?

also: the best matches i had from the mtDMA predictor was:
1) U5a1a2a
2) U5a1a2a1
3) U5a1a2

Y67 markers would be a very good start, but maybe not sufficient enough, because you still might have to test for some SNPs. For example if you end up being I1 L22 you will have to test for these SNPs: I-P109, L205-I, I-L287, L300, and I-I-L813. If I am not mistaken they go for about $39 each. Have a look at the tree here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_I-M253

This thread has been viewed 5776 times.

Back