Y-DNA of ethnic Poles from Greater Poland (West-Central Poland)

K-M9 samples from this study in Table II.:

Table II. (pages 3 - 10) - 17 Y-STR haplotypes for the Greater Poland population, haplogroups and frequency.

K_M9_samples.png

Sorry I wasn't familiar with the term 'Greater Poland'. I thought it referred to a territory at least as big as modern Poland, not one region within it.

In Middle Ages this region was called simply... Poland.
If that term would be still in use, that would be much
more confused... :)

Well, no problem, it can be confusing! :LOL:

I should have made it clearer in the thread title.

I think the English translation is rather unfortunate (in Polish it is Wielko-Polska which is rather "Great-Poland" or maybe "Large-Poland").

In most other cases "Greater" refers to historically largest territories of various nations, like for example Greater Serbia, Greater Germany, etc.

While in case of Great(er) Poland - Polonia Maior - it is only one province, roughly corresponding to West-Central Poland.

Anyway, I hope this data will be helpful ???

Yes, definitely there are some regions where R1b will be > 15% in Poland, but they are in the north-west and west. When you move north east, the levels of R1b drop fairly drastically. The numbers don't surprise me very much, and I agree a lot of that K-M9 is probably R1b.

According to Natalie M. Myres et. al. 2010, even the average for entire Poland is over 15%:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?21940-R1b-pie-charts/page2

Poland National - 202 samples - 18.35% R-M269:

image001jh.png

And here regional graphs but sample sizes are very small so I would not put much trust in them:

Poland West - 15 samples - 33.3% R-M269:
Ignore the title of the graph, it should read Poland West as opposed to Poland South:

image001nf.png

Poland North - 17 samples - 23.6% R-M269:

image001xp.png

Poland East - 13 samples - 15.4% R-M269:

image001l.png

Poland ?- 42 samples - 21.4% R-M269:

image001ps.png

Poland South - 22 samples - 22.6% R-M269:

image001eo.png

Poland Southwest (Wroclaw) - 13 samples - 21.6% R-M269:

image001em.png

but they are in the north-west and west.

If you check modern inhabitants, then rather in the north, in the west, and in the south-west.

But probably not in the north-west.

As I read on wikipedia K-M9
is
very frequent among Japanese individuals (65.6%).

I checked many fingerprints of Polish friends and colleagues. Many have whorls. Whorls is Asian trace. Many have loops and some have archs. In Africa only to 20% is whorls and most archs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerprint

Japanese came on Japanese Islands quite recently. So maybe GreaterPoles are direct cousins of those Japan people? Yayoi people or something?

This thread has been viewed 28069 times.

Back