Pinhasi et al-Ancient dna recovery

the coverage is low, noise will be imporatant
but it is dangerous to speculate which part is noise and which not

so the Neolithic sample looks basically EEF. So as many people (including me) have suspected the WHG type ancestry was already found in the earliest farmers in Western Asia.

And it really points more and more to the fact that EEF was slowly being replaced by an Afro_Asiatic shifted version of EEF. I remember saying the first time under Dienekes comment section that an East African shift probably happened.

8,400 year old Female from Turkey. Her genome is of low coverage. Her results are consistent with what we heard about other Neolithic Anatolian.

Dodecade K12b. See the Post

Dodecade K7b. See Post

MDLP K27. See the Post.

MDLP K14. See the Post.

Eurogenes AMI K8. See the Post.

And also so much to "European character" was brought to BaArmenia by Yamna. It was good that I never accepted the theory of some other.

Another thing. The sample with allot of NW African could be one of those late Neolithic samples who were already receiving Afro_Asiatic influx as by the paper (it was replaced by a very Middle Eastern and North African type ancestry).

Last edited:
Another thing. The sample with allot of NW African could be one of those late Neolithic samples who were already receiving Afro_Asiatic influx as by the paper (it was replaced by a very Middle Eastern and North African type ancestry).
Do you know what would make some sense? If this girl with NW African admixture would have turned to be from E1b1b, J or T group who obviously entered Europe much later than G2a people. G2a coming from Northern part of Fertile Crescent which bordered with Caucasus admixture people. E1b1b coming from South part of this fertile crescent, closer to Africa.

Do you know what would make some sense? If this girl with NW African admixture would have turned to be from E1b1b, J or T group who obviously entered Europe much later than G2a people. G2a coming from Northern part of Fertile Crescent which bordered with Caucasus admixture people. E1b1b coming from South part of this fertile crescent, closer to Africa.

As a girl she couldn't turn out with ydna but I got your point. :)

E1b for her father would, J or T however not. Since J obviously chop through the rest of Western Asia during the Bronze and Iron Age. I am pretty convinced J2 started off from the Iranian Plateau.

the only T we found so far on the other hand was late Neolithic and a very Yamna like signature to it with no NW African admixture.

But than as Maciamo pointed out this "NW African admixture" could simply mean that the NW African component received genes from her relatives.

I think that for quite some time, at least as far as the European Neolithic is concerned, we may have been getting hung up on making distinctions that don't much matter, in my opinion. The question that has engaged archaeologists and anthropologists and population geneticists for so long has been, first, did the Neolithic spread through cultural diffusion or population movement? The resoundingly clear answer is that it came from population movement from the Near East. Then the question is how much of the ancestry of modern Europeans is attributable to that population movement?

We have an LBK farmer, Stuttgart, who stands for EEF, and so we know how related modern Europeans are to her.

Now, the question is whether Stuttgart is basically the same as the farmers who came from the Near East into Europe. The genome of this farmer isn't as high quality as we would like, and maybe things will look different if we get a better quality genome from further down the coast where, if Paschou et al are correct, and no one has proven that they aren't, the farmers started peeling off by boat for Greece.

With that caveat in mind, I think we can draw some preliminary conclusions if we look at some of the lower K runs (I think that's a better bet given the fact this is such a poor quality specimen.) From those runs it looks to me as if Stuttgart is largely just a transplanted ancient Near Eastern farmer. I mean, in K-7b she's about 4 points different, and in the Eurogenes K8 about 10 points different, yes?

@Fire Haired
Given all of this, shouldn't we be lowering the EEF figure by 10 at the most to get ancient Near Eastern farmer or ancient Anatolian farmer if you want to put it that way, input if we use this genome? Given that, southern Europeans would be at least 60% ancient Near Eastern farmer, the English and Central Europeans 40-45% and so on?

Here's the chart:
Lazaridis et al 3 population figures.jpg

@ Maleth @ Arvistro,

I totally agree. I think we're getting lost in the weeds here. I mean, how would ENF even be defined geographically and temporally? Is there even any agreement about that? The Natufians weren't yet farmers, so I don't think they fit the bill. There are other choices, however., assuming we can settle on a time. Is it the farmers on the hillsides in the interior of Anatolia, the farmers in the Jordan valley, the farmers along the coast between Syria and southeastern Anatolia, or is it the ones further up the coast toward Greece? If they all turn out to be about the same, great, but what if they're all slightly different? How do you choose? Does it ultimately even matter? I'm sure there were probably successive waves, but they all came from the same part of the world.

The upcoming sample from Jordan will be interesting, especially if it's high coverage, but would those people necessarily be exactly the same as those who went to Europe? Maybe we'd be better off with a sample from a group that was already on its way, so to speak?

There are large implications, obviously, for the population genetics of the Near East, including Anatolia, in all of this. Just off the cuff, if Stuttgart (EEF) or this sample are representative of the population that was all over the Near East at this period, then there have indeed been a lot of changes, perhaps coming from the south as well as the east. If there was a lot of regional substructure, then the analysis will be more complicated and different as to how much population replacement has taken place. I think we have to consider, however, that the difference all over the Near East might owe a lot to the migration of different y lines and also to drift, which people are tending to forget in recent years. Other than the minority portion of U4 and U5, most of the mtDna of Europeans is very much like that from the Near East.

Anyway, the role of the "WHG" in all of this really has to be examined as well. If it runs from North Africa, throughout Europe and into the Near East, is it really a EuroHG, as has been proposed? I suppose it partly depends how far down into the Levant and how far east it goes in Anatolia. I know it's in western North Africa. Does it peter out right when you get to Egypt? Might that be because of constant gene flow up the Nile? Or are we looking at this the wrong way around? Are the WHG the Gravettians who came into Europe from the Near East in the first place? Depending on how far down it goes, the question then becomes, were the people who invented farming a fusion of these "ancestral" Gravettians and a people like the Natufians? At any rate, the WHG in this sample, if we take the Eurogenes run at face value is 20%, so the vast majority of the hunter gatherers who went into the genesis of these Anatolian Neolithic people were not WHG like...

@Maciamo,
I agree with much of this. As far as the Mediterranean is concerned, the Neolithic was like a bifurcated stream that followed along both the northern and southern littoral, bringing both the technology and the people who invented it. It also went down south east to India and up through Iran.

In this fascination and emphasis on migration, which was no doubt necessary in order to overcome the mindset of years where virtually Paleolithic Continuity was contemplated everywhere, some people have tended to overlook the function of drift in many of these populations.

@Alan,
As I said above, I wouldn't go with a K12 for something as poor quality as this. I think all those results show, as Maciamo pointed out, is the big portion of Neolithic era genes in North Africans.

Last edited:
so the Neolithic sample looks basically EEF. So as many people (including me) have suspected the WHG type ancestry was already found in the earliest farmers in Western Asia.

And it really points more and more to the fact that EEF was slowly being replaced by an Afro_Asiatic shifted version of EEF. I remember saying the first time under Dienekes comment section that an East African shift probably happened.

so where does Haak ( paper) samples of LBK_EN with their 100% of EEF sit with these samples?

so where does Haak ( paper) samples of LBK_EN with their 100% of EEF sit with these samples?

Haak's Neolithic samples from the time of Stuttgart are basically the same as Stuttgart. I think Stuttgart has the most or 2nd most ENF.

This is almost as interesting as the 101 genomes from Allentoft et al. study. The Dodecad K12b is the one that particularly got my attention.

If the data is reliable, then it would appear that Near Eastern Neolithic farmers brought most of the Atlantic_Med admixture to Europe. This is important because it means that this admixture, which peaks in the Basques and Sardinians (70-75%), is therefore not native to Europe.

In the same way, those Neolithic farmers carried 21% of Northwest_African admixture. Modern Maghrebans have 35-45% of Northwest_African and 20-25% of Atlantic_Med admixture, and all of it could ultimately have been inherited from Anatolian or Levantine Neolithic farmers (some of it via the Phoenicians and Arabs).

Genetic drift could explain why some genes, which now make up the Atlantic_Med admixture, ended up being present at higher frequencies in Southwest Europe, while another set of genes from Neolithic farmers survived at much higher frequencies in Northwest Africa. From a modern standpoint it could look like the two have different origins, but it may just be one big family whose genes got divided early between two continents then evolved separately for thousands of years.

West Med. and Northwest Africa?

If you didn't know it was supposed to be from neolithic Turkey you'd guess it was from the Atlantic Megalith culture.

The Haak proto_EEF sample (Stuttgart) is just slightly more Western(~5%) shifted. So it is almost identical to this Neolithic Anatolian lady.

Last edited:
@Fire Haired
Given all of this, shouldn't we be lowering the EEF figure by 10 at the most to get ancient Near Eastern farmer or ancient Anatolian farmer if you want to put it that way, input if we use this genome? Given that, southern Europeans would be at least 60% ancient Near Eastern farmer, the English and Central Europeans 40-45% and so on?

Here's the chart:
View attachment 7324

I'm not super confident in percentages, just trends.

So now after the Anatolian farmer has been "confirmed" to be almost identical to Stuttgart(EEF). The first individuals with dubious agendas have come out and always need to mention, "This is a West Anatolian and not Near Eastern sample". :LOL:

Just a few month ago Anatolia was to every of those Eurocentrics a hardcore part of the Near Eastern and in historic context also never anything else. But suddenly it is good enough to be considered as "not really Near Eastern" but "extra European".

here is one of those comments
No. She has WHG, altough not same level as other EEFs. She is not near-eastern but Western Anatolian close to the european border.

Yep since we all know Western Anatolia is not the Near East, just like Sevilla and Crete are not Europe right? :grin:

So according to this logic it is save to assume that Barcin(who is from the Asian part Turkey)would have been genetically indistinguishable from their neighbors on the other side of the Bosphorus (Europe) but was probably very distinct from the Neolithic farmers nearby in the East?

People who have no problems in labeling Yamna samples from as far in Asia as Samara(on the border to Kazakhstan!), "East European" have a big issue in calling Western Anatolia simply what it is, Western Asia. :LOL:
I see some people$/blogger speculating that the individual might have absorbed WHG from backmigration of Balkanians(there is a chance that WHG was a pre Neolithic backmigration yet it doesn't change the fact that this EEF type farmers were born in the fertile crescent and Anatolia), but don't see the same concerns when it's about the Caucasus_Gedrosia genes in Yamna and claim it might be native to the Steppes. :rolleyes:

But than they didn't even think about the significant WHG in the Levant and North Africa which can be now very well explained with the Neolithic expansion. They also seem to forget that roughly 3500 years later in BaArmenia individuals had still as much as 20% WHG with 30% "Atlantic_Med" and 20% "North European" type ancestry. I think their issues with "Near Eastern" ancestry hinders them in seeing the greater picture.

A possible source for WHG in Western Asia is I2 or J* (If J is not ANE/EEF than it is possibly WHG like I).

Last edited:
@Alan,

I agree about Yamnaya. People want to call them East European. But they don't fit anywhere today. I'd call EEF the main Europeans of that day(3000 BC). Russia was always differnt from the rest Europe till the Bronze age because of immigration from Europeans who lived further west into Russia.

I also agree about BAR100.

@Alan,

For years I've seen speculation, and academic speculation at that, to the effect that the "WHG" are, for the most part, the result of the Gravettian migration into Europe, a migration that started from, you guessed it, the Near East. So, if that is all true, whether all the Gravettians left for Europe and then some back migrated to the Near East, or some portion of it, or some stayed behind while the rest went to Europe, to call these people "EuroHGs" makes no sense, in my opinion. (Let's not forget that there are respectable numbers in North Africa as well.) It's as illogical, or maybe even more illogical than calling some ancient North Eurasian group that wandered back and forth across that line, that construct, that in modern times we have used to divide Europe from Asia, somehow "European". European, Middle Eastern, all these terms are modern constructs which don't apply to ancient population groups. These modern groups didn't form until about 2,000 BC and maybe even later.

As I said above, the focus of much of this research was supposed to be to figure out whether the Neolithic spread by cultural diffusion or with people, and if with people, how many people, and how much they contributed to the modern "European" gene pool. Even using the Eurogenes K8, there is only a 7 point difference between Barcin and Stuttgart, so Europeans, except perhaps in the Baltic, have a lot of ancestry from these people. The charts in Lazaridis provide the figures...just lower by 7 for a general idea.

As you say, a week ago Anatolians were Near Easterners. Now, if I understand you, they're suddenly not. Someone should send the Turks a memo that their chances of joining the EU might go up. :)

If it makes certain people feel better to slice and dice the numbers to call as much of the genome of these farmers from the NEAR EAST, WHG and therefore somehow "European", fine, go for it, but it doesn't make any logical sense to me. It particularly doesn't make any sense to be talking about UHG again. ALL these people in the Near East were hunter gatherers, whether you want to call them Basal Eurasian hunter gatherers (if the Reich Lab is even going to go in that direction again), or western hunter gatherers, or eastern Anatolian hunter gatherers, before they invented farming.

People have forgotten, I think, that Lazaridis et al got into some of these speculations because we didn't have a Near Eastern Neolithic farmer sample. Well, now we do, and we'll probably get more. It's time to move on from old and not particularly helpful models.

I really don't get it. These people invented agriculture, and animal husbandry, and then later invented metalllurgy, without which things there would be no modern world. What is there to be ashamed of? Obviously, many of these hobbyists didn't take a lot of archaeology, or ancient history and civilizations courses. I was taught that Ex oriente lux, in terms of civilization in general, not just wisdom and spirituality. That might be over the top, but the general sense is correct.

I also find it amazing that some people are suddenly so sure that the Neolithic people of Syria, and Lebanon, for example, which were in the Levant last time I checked, were not part of the flow into Europe, in contradiction of a lot of papers that say otherwise, or even if that were true, that the people of those areas were necessarily so different from the ones right over the border in southern Anatolia. Unless they've already analyzed that Jordanian sample?

If there was genetic substructure in the "Near East", I would think it would more likely be an "East/West" division, with the populations in eastern Anatolia and the south Caucasus and Iran being different, not that there would be this huge difference between coastal communities in Syria versus Anatolia.

Anyway, I don't know what more and better quality genomes will show, and whether the farmers along the Levant coast were different and so the percentages will change, but we should all try to have some logical consistency and some intellectual honesty when discussing these things.

@FireHaired,
Don't get me started on the Yamnaya thing. They were a unique blend of both genes and culture, and they no longer exist anywhere. I even wonder if the Reich Lab is going to regret being led into claiming a "massive" flow of "Indo-European" genes into Europe from the steppe. It's certainly not true for anywhere in southern Europe, and I even have my doubts about Corded Ware. Were they Indo-European, or were they a collection of often pretty different groups, some of whom were just an Indo-Europeanized EHG population? Time will tell, but it's pretty clear to me that a lot of the scenarios floated over the years were much too simplistic.

If there was genetic substructure in the "Near East", I would think it would more likely be an "East/West" division, with the populations in eastern Anatolia and the south Caucasus and Iran being different, not that there would be this huge difference between coastal communities in Syria versus Anatolia.

I said this years ago. That Mesopotamia, East Anatolia and Transcaucasus is the region where EEF type farmers met Caucasus_Gedrosia type herders.

I imagine the early Levantine farmers to be slightly more Southern (Basal Eurasian?) and slightly less Atlantic_Baltic (UHG?) or whatever we call it. But not so drastically. Maybe 10% at max. already during Middle Neolithic I see first Afro_Asiatic type EEF reaching the region and deluding the "UHG" even slightly more.

In The East from the Iranian Plateau I see a group of ANE guys expanding and mixing with the local EEF in the region of the Zagror/Albroz mountains. Those people probably the proto "Gedrosia" guys who might have belonged to J,R and some LT lineages.

Now those herders met with the EEF farmers in East Anatolia, Mesopotamia and Transcaucasus and people similar to the BaArmenian sample were born.

I assume the Neolithic sample from Turkmenistan will turn out most with Gedrosia(+Caucasus) and Atlantic_Med and probably allot of North European scores too. Basically the sample from Turkemnistan will have significanlty more ANE.

Anyway, I don't know what more and better quality genomes will show, and whether the farmers along the Levant coast were different and so the percentages will change, but we should all try to have some logical consistency and some intellectual honesty when discussing these things.

Even if the Neolithic farmers in the Levant were allot different that doesn't change the point that EEF has started off from Anatolia and last time I checked Anatolia is West Asia aka Near East. It is even one of the historically "most Near Eastern" parts of Western Asia. Some people (People who never saw Anatolia as anything else than Near East) have started to sound like Anatolia is something else, completely different case from the Near East.

Last edited:
Angela, there is doubt as from where the Gravettians entered Europe, many still think it was via Anatolia and the Balkans
as I mentioned in another thread it was via the Caucasus, where in the Mezmaiskaya cave borers were found to drill holes in the eyes of needles, which gave better clothing to the Gravettians and gave them an advantage over the Aurignacians on the European cold steppes, the Gravettians were never in Anatolia
IMO IJ was in Trancaucasia where it split in the Gravettian I which crossed the Caucasus and Imereti J who stayed south of the Caucasus
during LGM J1, J2a and J2b looked for refuge south in the southern Levant (J2a) and the Persian Gulf (probably both J2b and J1)
J2a became the Natufians, and later the first cereal farmer (as opposed to HG collectors of wild pulses and pig farmers in southeast Anatolia who came from the Zagors mountains and built Göbekli Tepe temple)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göbekli_Tepe
G2 also looked for refuge in the southern Levant, where it split in G2a and G2b
G2a came to Cilicia where it split in fishermen and HG in Capadocia
http://www.archatlas.org/ObsidianRoutes/ObsidianRoutes.php
In Capadocia they collected obsidian from the extinct volcanos which they traded since 16 ka with the Natufians
10.8 ka they founded their first neolithic settlement, Asikli Hoyuk near Mt Hassan where they collected the obsidian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aşıklı_Höyük
so G2a started to grow cereals too
in the mean time the G2a fishermen had allready reached Cyprus, Melos and the Peleponesos ; 9,5 ka they reached Grotto del Uzzo in Sicily
in another thread I've allready mentioned that skull measurments indicated that the first farmers in Europe where not the same as the cereal farmers in the Levant or in southeast Anatolia :
https://mathildasanthropologyblog.w...1/neolithic-skull-shapes-and-demic-diffusion/

this is my - very tentative story

Last edited by a moderator:
Angela, there is doubt as from where the Gravettians entered Europe, many still think it was via Anatolia and the Balkans
as I mentioned in another thread it was via the Caucasus, where in the Mezmaiskaya cave borers were found to drill holes in the eyes of needles, which gave better clothing to the Gravettians and gave them an advantage over the Aurignacians on the European cold steppes, the Gravettians were never in Anatolia
IMO IJ was in Trancaucasia where it split in the Gravettian I which crossed the Caucasus and Imereti J who stayed south of the Caucasus
during LGM J1, J2a and J2b looked for refuge south in the southern Levant (J2a) and the Persian Gulf (probably both J2b and J1)
J2a became the Natufians, and later the first cereal farmer (as opposed to HG collectors of wild pulses and pig farmers in southeast Anatolia who came from the Zagors mountains and built Göbekli Tepe temple)
In Capadocia they collected obsidian from the extinct volcanos which they traded since 16 ka with the Natufians
10.8 ka they founded their first neolithic settlement, Asikli Hoyuk near Mt Hassan where they collected the obsidian
in the mean time the G2a fishermen had allready reached Cyprus, Melos and the Peleponesos ; 9,5 ka they reached Grotto del Uzzo in Sicily
in another thread I've allready mentioned that skull measurments indicated that the first farmers in Europe where not the same as the cereal farmers in the Levant or in southeast Anatolia :
https://mathildasanthropologyblog.w...1/neolithic-skull-shapes-and-demic-diffusion/

One issue I do see with your hypothesis is that it seems a little counter-intuitive that there was "J2" in the Natufian, but none of it mingled with G2a to make its way into Europe in the Neolithic.

We may soon see if you're right. The floodgates are open, to use a cliche, and there's a torrent of results on its way. Our speculations about pre-history are going to have a much more solid basis.

My larger point remains, I think.

One issue I do see with your hypothesis is that it seems a little counter-intuitive that there was "J2" in the Natufian, but none of it mingled with G2a to make its way into Europe in the Neolithic.

We may soon see if you're right. The floodgates are open, to use a cliche, and there's a torrent of results on its way. Our speculations about pre-history are going to have a much more solid basis.

My larger point remains, I think.

that's right
if my hypothesis proves correct, it would be amazing to find out there was no spillover between J2a and G2a
like the founding of Asikli Hoyuk, you'd suppose both tribes were involved
it is people from Asikli Hoyuk that later founded Catal Hoyuk and other neolithic settlements in southwerstern Anatolia
Asikli Hoyuk and Catal Hoyuk were built in exactly the same style, only Asikli Hoyuk was on a much smaller scale
the same Catal Hoyuk Mother Godess is found back in Old Europe

on the other hand cereal cultivation spread also eastward to the Indus Valley via Mehrgahr 9 ka
some subclades of J2a (and also J2b) match exactly that TMRCA and are exclusively south Asian, a feature G2a does not have

we'll see what future data will say
i like to have my own theories and sometimes it's disapointing to be proven wrong
but in such cases i doublecheck and simply change my mind

I always preferred route via the Caucasus, in different epochs. Because this path is natural. Between Anatolia and Balkans is sea and most people didn't want cross the sea.

This is interesting site about first boats:

The oldest recovered boat in the world is the 3 meter long Pesse canoe constructed around 8,000 BCE [ Wikipedia ]; but more elaborate craft existed even earlier.

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~vaucher/History/Prehistoric_Craft/

So now after the Anatolian farmer has been "confirmed" to be almost identical to Stuttgart(EEF). The first individuals with dubious agendas have come out and always need to mention, "This is a West Anatolian and not Near Eastern sample". :LOL:

Just a few month ago Anatolia was to every of those Eurocentrics a hardcore part of the Near Eastern and in historic context also never anything else. But suddenly it is good enough to be considered as "not really Near Eastern" but "extra European".

here is one of those comments

Yep since we all know Western Anatolia is not the Near East, just like Sevilla and Crete are not Europe right? :grin:

So according to this logic it is save to assume that Barcin(who is from the Asian part Turkey)would have been genetically indistinguishable from their neighbors on the other side of the Bosphorus (Europe) but was probably very distinct from the Neolithic farmers nearby in the East?

People who have no problems in labeling Yamna samples from as far in Asia as Samara(on the border to Kazakhstan!), "East European" have a big issue in calling Western Anatolia simply what it is, Western Asia. :LOL:
I see some people and a blogger speculating that the individual might have absorbed WHG from backmigration of Balkanians(there is a chance that WHG was a pre Neolithic backmigration yet it doesn't change the fact that this EEF type farmers were born in the fertile crescent and Anatolia), but don't see the same concerns when it's about the Caucasus_Gedrosia genes in Yamna and claim it might be native to the Steppes. :rolleyes:

But than they didn't even think about the significant WHG in the Levant and North Africa which can be now very well explained with the Neolithic expansion. They also seem to forget that roughly 3500 years later in BaArmenia individuals had still as much as 20% WHG with 30% "Atlantic_Med" and 20% "North European" type ancestry. I think their issues with "Near Eastern" ancestry hinders them in seeing the greater picture.

A possible source for WHG in Western Asia is I2 or J* (If J is not ANE/EEF than it is possibly WHG like I).

It is also confirmed that CW and Yamnya people are further apart that what was thought before. much further apart. Some say CW came from EEF.

The split of I and J could have been the the pontic Trabzon area of eastern anatolia

This thread has been viewed 37841 times.

Back