Northern-Centrism: Just Stop It!!

Angela, if this isn't the place, could you move our discussion to an appropriate thread?

Angela, if this isn't the place, could you move our discussion to an appropriate thread?

Yes, of course, no problem. Do you have a preference as to which steppe migration related thread it is? There are a lot of options.

I'm tired of the North European-centrism on several genetic-forums including this one. Posters aren't blatantly obvious about their sentiments, but there's a trend I've noticed. It seems posters attempt to dilute their Neolithic West Asian, Pre-IE European, etc. blood as much as possible, increase Mesolithic European and "Steppe" ancestry as much as possible, etc. And some posters even argue their ethnic group is paler pigmented than the stero-type. I'm fed up with it.

Facts are facts. Whoever people descend from is who they descend from. If you post on Genetic forum your goal should be figuring out the facts, not proving what you want to be true. Your ancestry doesn't define who you are at all. I think it's unhealthy to care a lot about origins if you think it defines yourself and others. It's okay to be proud of your origins, but at the same time not let it define you and be open to whatever the evidence shows.

I think the motivation for the North European-centrism on genetic-forums is what I just described. People want to be more "Hunter Gatherer" and "Steppe", because they like the ideas and characters we have surrounding those people, and they think it affects who they are.

I never (or only occasionally) see Northern Europeans trying to deny that they have some more southern or some "exotic" admixtures, if they really do. It is usually Latin Americans, Southern Europeans or people with some recent "exotic" admixtures who try to underline that a huge amount of their ancestry is "White". At the same time, they try to convince Northern Europeans that we are descended from "them". We are like "OK, cool". On this forum I could also read comments such as: "you people cannot farm because you have not enough of southern Farmer DNA". I was like: "OK, cool, I don't plan to farm anyway".

Facts are facts. Whoever people descend from is who they descend from.

Yes. Telling someone their ancestry is XYZ instead of ABC won't change who they are. You are who you are.

But what I really like about DNA ancestry tests, is that they "tell it like it is" (like Donald Trump).

So for example someone can say: "you Poles are Mongol-admixed" and then I can give him all of my results which show virtually zero percent of East Asian admixture and in Gedrosia K3 I'm more Caucasoid than, for example, Scottish people.

Gedrosia K3 has only three components (West Eurasian, East Eurasian and Sub-Saharan African):

1) Here is my result (Polish):

Population
E_Eurasian 2.83
SSA -
W_Eurasian 97.17

2) Here an ethnic Swedish guy:

Population
E_Eurasian 5.00
SSA 0.20
W_Eurasian 94.80

3) Here a North Dutch guy:

Population
E_Eurasian 2.21
SSA 0.20
W_Eurasian 97.59

4) Here a Scottish guy:

Population
E_Eurasian 3.98
SSA -
W_Eurasian 96.02

5) Here a Sicilian guy:

Population
E_Eurasian 2.01
SSA 3.95
W_Eurasian 94.04

This thread has been viewed 63758 times.

Back