Lionel Andrés Messi Cuccittini - Ydna G2a

I have serious doubts about this being authentic. Even if a professional football player - Messi, of all players - happened to have an interest in genetic genealogy, which I find highly unlikely, I don't think he would bother to register on a public Y-DNA database site, with his full name. Unless some researchers/geneticists approached the guy and convinced him to submit a DNA sample and to allow them to publish it. That sounds a little less implausible, but not by much. Messi appears to be extremely reserved as well, which makes it all even more unlikely.

If this really is legitimate though, it would probably be the coolest "celebrity Y-DNA" discovery made so far.

Maybe, but I have dealings with people in ysearch and it's common for the contact link to not be the person in question, but a relative who runs the family tree search line, example, I was contacting a person from Hesse Germany , but the link was in south Carolina in USA. This person gave me all the info I required and matched what little piece of knowledge i had plus gave me much more information.

Just ask a simple question on the link and see what happens

Thats a possibility. And after thinking about it. Even more plausible seems this scenario. What if Messi didn't take the test for ancestral reasons first, but health reason? He maybe wanted to learn more about his genetic health as we all know he had some issues with his height in younger years.

Also as mentioned above the site seems to belong to ftDNA, I have serious doubts that such a company would let someone fake a famous individual. Especially the part where it says G2a1 (tested) seems that they are confirming to have tested the individual who he claims to be (Messi).

And DNA research be it for health or ancetral reasons has become very mainstream. I know from top of my head at lest dozens of famous individuals who have taken one. And those were not in the news either. I didn't knew from news that Tom Hanks or Muhammed Ali had taken a DNA test until I saw it on the 23andme page.

But than it still could really be a fake.

Isn't a ysearch code ID created after you had a ftdna test! ................surely you can back track to ftdna site and maybe even the G ftdna project site

Isn't a ysearch code ID created after you had a ftdna test! ................surely you can back track to ftdna site and maybe even the G ftdna project site

No, you can manually enter randome STRs and cerate a profile.

Although in this case it's indeed generated staight from the FTDNA which can be seen by - G2a1 (Tested). manual ones don't get that.

No, you can manually enter randome STRs and cerate a profile.

Although in this case it's indeed generated staight from the FTDNA which can be seen by - G2a1 (Tested). manual ones don't get that.
So as we all agree it came straight of ftDNA (tested) and therefore should have been under some kind of inspection. Can/should we really assume that ftDNA did not bother to check if someone is faking to be a very prominent individual or the real guy?

I somehow have my doubts. If they really didn't check for authentity of this samples origin, than thats a real scandal and shame on them.:grin:

So as we all agree it came straight of ftDNA (tested) and therefore should have been under some kind of inspection. Can/should we really assume that ftDNA did not bother to check if someone is faking to be a very prominent individual or the real guy?

I somehow have my doubts. If they really didn't check for authentity of this samples origin, than thats a real scandal and shame on them.:grin:

They don't and can't vrify the names and surnames.

They don't and can't vrify the names and surnames.

I think they can. When a costumer orders a kit. He has to give his adress (with name, surname and where he is living) additional to that, I had to fill in a formular with all my data. If now some dude from let's say Georgia/Ossetia or England sends in a kit claiming to be located in Barcelona and being a world famous football athlete. Than you should be suspicious. Let alone his Credit card he used to pay if it is a totally different name on it too.

Maybe it's different with ftDNA. At 23andme however I had to go through those steps above.

But take in mind we are not talking about some random individual. We are talking about a very famous person. This alone should make ftDNA obligated to ensure that he is the individual he claims to be. :)

When I went to Italy a few years ago, I noticed the amount of people who have this "Greek statue profile" - the high nose bridge forming a near 90 degree angle with the ground, combined with the shortish/smallish jawline but with a prominent chin. Of course not all Greeks and Italians have this appearance, but you see this type of look among them more commonly than among any other nationality. "One face, one race", isn't that what they say?

Obviously, there's overlap between certain Italians and certain Greeks. (For what it's worth, in my experience it's usually Greeks who say "una faccia, una razza". :))

As for that particular nose type, it exists, but it's certainly not the majority. A curved nose is even less common.
I know actors and actresses are not usually the best examples of very common phenotypes, but when this subject came up before, I looked, and the only actress I could find who has a version of it is the Sardinian actress Caterina Murino.

Often, someone who I think is going to have it, doesn't when you see their profile.

This still isn't quite the same:
eye-candy-fabio-cannavaro-1.jpg

as Antinous, considered the handsomest man of his time, although in the same family, perhaps?
Antinous%20Ecouen%202.jpg

In terms of everyday people, I think that some areas, particularly rural ones with not too much admixture, will have certain "types" that are common to it.

You could take a look at this thread I put together of neighbors from my home region. I would say that the most common nose is long, narrow bridged and then wider at the base, but in profile view it doesn't have that 90 degree angle.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...talian-villages-in-Eastern-Liguria-NW-Toscana

I think they can. When a costumer orders a kit. He has to give his adress (with name, surname and where he is living) additional to that, I had to fill in a formular with all my data. If now some dude from let's say Georgia/Ossetia or England sends in a kit claiming to be located in Barcelona and being a world famous football athlete. Than you should be suspicious. Let alone his Credit card he used to pay if it is a totally different name on it too.

Maybe it's different with ftDNA. At 23andme however I had to go through those steps above.

But take in mind we are not talking about some random individual. We are talking about a very famous person. This alone should make ftDNA obligated to ensure that he is the individual he claims to be. :)

I believe it is Messi , but another family member is running the site or messi project .................it can even be his father who would have the same genetics

I believe it is Messi , but another family member is running the site or messi project .................it can even be his father who would have the same genetics

It says born in 1987.

It says born in 1987.

Thats Messi's birth year. What Sile meant was, it could be some family member like his father running the account. But the sample really being him.

Still there is the possibility that it is fake but this would be a small "Scandal" for a company like ftDNA :)

Thats Messi's birth year. What Sile meant was, it could be some family member like his father running the account. But the sample really being him.

Still there is the possibility that it is fake but this would be a small "Scandal" for a company like ftDNA :)

I misread it. Thanks Alan.

I think one of these DNA companies is run by the wife of one of the founders of Google either Larry Page or that Brin guy. It may be 23something.

FTDNA is not checking what address you give. Plus you can update it any time. Same goes for a name and surname.

Thats a possibility. And after thinking about it. Even more plausible seems this scenario. What if Messi didn't take the test for ancestral reasons first, but health reason? He maybe wanted to learn more about his genetic health as we all know he had some issues with his height in younger years.
Maybe. And I read somewhere that he is Asperger. I don't know if it's true.

FTDNA is not checking what address you give. Plus you can update it any time. Same goes for a name and surname.

How does one get their kit for providing a sample if they give the wrong address?

How does one get their kit for providing a sample if they give the wrong address?

As I've said you can update your addess any time.
Plus, for example over years I've ordered great many kits for Georgian project and they all came to my address, so testees don't have thier addresses on their pages, but mine.

On top of that there are special services which allow to set up an address and then they deliver goods to you.

So it's very much possible :)

So, who here is going to try to contact "Messi"? When in doubt while investigating apparently famous Y-DNA, it's always helped me to simply use the contact feature.

So, who here is going to try to contact "Messi"? When in doubt while investigating apparently famous Y-DNA, it's always helped me to simply use the contact feature.

Since that profile has matches with several Georgians we did contact him two days ago. Let's see if "Messi" replies

found something very interesting.

This year I found many articles, that Barcelona is the first team to use DNA tests to determine the physical stability of their athletes and doing so for years. And it says Messis DNA is the answer why he is so rarely injured.

I think this indicates or is kinda a confirmation that Messi was given a DNA test. I doubt that Barcelona FC has it's own genetic laboratory so I assume they are using one of the more famous big companies to do the tests for their athletes.

So as some people suggest this DNA test might indeed be of Messi but not ordered by him but the club.

Those things are just speculations of course, what we know however for sure, Messi did have a DNA test.

Barcelona's use of DNA testing could give them advantage over Arsenal

When Barcelona meet Arsenal in their Champions League encounter on the 24th of February, the Catalans could be taking to the pitch with a very significant advantage. The defending champions have pioneered the widespread use of DNA analysis for their squad, thus reducing the occurence of injuries, with only Rafinha being absent from the first team.
According to a report in the Daily Mail, Barcelona doctor Ricard Pruna has been busy at work collecting DNA samples to identify a player’s proneness to injury. Matilda Lundblad, a Swedish doctor who is working with Pruna on a research project, said “It is very sci-fi. Doctor Ricard and I are looking at the genes in saliva and finding ways to individualise fitness programmes.”
Pruna has been busy swabbing the Barcelona player’s mouths, studying the genetic makeup of Barcelona’s highly tuned performers. The DNA profile is then used to identify any predilection to muscle injuries, allowing Barcelona’s medical staff to create specialized training regimes for each individual player.
It appears that Barcelona’s pioneering use of DNA analysis has paid off, as despite Lionel Messi suffering a two-month injury, the overall occurence has gone down in the 42 games Barcelona have played this season. In stark contrast, Arsenal who have played four less, have endured another injury ravaged season, despite an overhaul of fitness staff in the summer.
DNA testing gradually rising in football

Ricard Pruna is focussing on about 45 genes to improve Barcelona’s injury situation, although past testing by other clubs round the world have identified about a 100 genes as indicators to injury likelihood and player performance.
In 2011, an unnamed Premier League club asked, Marios Kambouris, then a molecular geneticist at Yale to carry out tests on their players. Kambouris revealed the outcome, saying “I have no idea which players they were but there were good genes in there, things which would positively affect their performance, such as their ability to have better aerobic respiration, which would give them more stamina on the pitch.”
DNA testing reveals quite a bit about a player’s injury proneness. For example, mutations in the COL5A1 gene can cause tendons to become loosely supported, thus indicating a tendency for muscle injuries.
Glen Johnson and Bryan Ruiz are two Premier League players to have confirmed their use of DNA testing while at Liverpool and Fulham respectively.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/barcelona-dna-testing-advantage-over-arsenal

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 54083 times.

Back