Tuscany had a middle age admixture event?

Slaves in Roman Empire were really all from Near East?I really doubt of that.
Afaik many came from Gauls and Germanic soldiers enslaved.

Anyone with any pretensions to an education would of course know that. I've posted the citations numerous times before, which have been ignored, so I'm not going to waste my time posting them again. How many hundreds of thousands of Gauls went on the slave market after the Gallic Wars? Caesar's whole fortune came from the sale of them. How many Germani? The whole praetorian guard was composed of them, as just one specific example. Maybe we should talks about the many, many thousands of Dacians. Has no one ever heard of Trajan's arch? Spaniards, too, and Britons, and people from Pannonia. There were many from Greece as well, and from Syria and other places in the Near East, and some from North Africa. The Romans were equal opportunity en-slavers.

These slaves were also bought all over the empire, even if there might have been more of them in Italy. As just one tiny example, how else did an African woman appear in Yorkshire in the Roman era in a Roman context?

It's another issue how many of them were allowed to reproduce. If Ralph and Coop are correct, not many of them from anywhere, which perhaps shouldn't be surprising, given how many were sent to quarries or mines or the galleys. The women might have fared a little better if they weren't sent to brothels, where the life expectancy was undoubtedly rather short, and where the infants were either aborted or killed at birth.

What always amazes me in this context is that people either never learned or forget all of this.

How, also, do people who make this argument manage to explain the cline in Italy autosomally? Where is the evidence that all the slaves were carefully distributed so that the north to south Italian cline easily explained by reference to Neolithic and Indo-European and Greek distributions up to the Iron Age was not disturbed?

The answer is ignorance of history, Italian history in particular, and the noxious agendas which have strangely even taken root in some Italians.

Arabs? Only in Sicily and few raids on the coasts. Overall Arab presence in Southern France and parts of Swizterland was longer than on Italian mainland.

Byzantine territories were de facto indipendent and had to defent themselves without any help of the Empire. Anyway the only "middle easterners" in the Byzantine army (which included large numbers of Slavs, Varangians and other Northern Europeans) were few Armenians, who barely set foot outside of Anatolia.

Not quite, we already discussed the Muslim intrusions into continental Italy in another thread. It took nearly a century of combined Byzantine and Papal efforts to weaken their presence, and centuries later Islamic armies were still occasionally making incursions into the mainland (but this time from more nearby Sicily, not from North Africa.)

Byzantium included most of the Near East prior to the Islamic conquest of the area. Conscripts and mercenaries would have come from all over its territories. It was after the Muslim annexation of these areas that the Byzantines had to rely more on their own people for their soldiery.

Hellenthal has been criticized by many genetists because it used a new tecnique which gave many non sensical results.

The criticism is about the limitations of their methods, but not any inherently wrong methodology that must be discarded right away.

There is no way to know the exact percentage of slaves in the Roman Empire. Inscriptions from Rome alone show a large number of Hellenized names (and nothing else) which de facto don't prove a Eastern origin since slave holders changed the names of their slaves. That's some hard facts.

But why would they change them to names common among people from the eastern parts of the empire? This argument would actually make sense if they were changing their names to the names the Romans were more familiar with: their own Roman names. But that is not the case.

The reason that Tuscan's data behaves in such way is perhaps this peculiarity.

Haak_et_al_Fig_3_small.png

Tuscans lack any distinct WHG. They are basicaly ENF + Steppe.
Some event is detected in Middle Ages ( perhaps a Nordic invasion maybe also some southern )
The calculator search a population that can simulate the ENF and picks the Near Eastern populations. It favours the Armenians because they have also Caucasic, which is part of Steppe component.

So the real admixture event is much much smaller. Perhaps smaller than 10% or even 5%. The rest is just a desperate search to simulate the unique Tuscan population.

This method's main limitation is that they have no aDNA. If the existing aDNA data is added to this type of calculations we could get very good results consistent with historic events.

The HGDP database has only 8 Tuscan samples which is skewing the results. Anyway it's clear from Allentoft et al that Iron Age and Modern Armenians are completely different and the latter are of clear semitic Mesopotamian origin. If Tuscans or any other European group have Bronze or Iron age Anatolian admixture, it surely didn't come from modern Armenians.

Last edited:
The criticism is about the limitations of their methods, but not any inherently wrong methodology that must be discarded right away.

But why would they change them to names common among people from the eastern parts of the empire? This argument would actually make sense if they were changing their names to the names the Romans were more familiar with: their own Roman names. But that is not the case.

Only a small number of slaves from Rome were studied so far and from a single historycal period. We know nothing about the slaves from other ages in the rest of Italy.

Only a small number of slaves from Rome were studied so far and from a single historycal period. We know nothing about the slaves from other ages in the rest of Italy.

According to some of the historians I have read, the eastern names among slaves and free foreigners are more common in the later times of the empire. Some proposed partial explanation for this increase in easterners are Caracalla's edict granting Roman citizenship to most free peoples of the empire, and the gradual expansion of Christianity, a religion that in its early stages spread via immigrants from the eastern parts of the empire:

https://books.google.com/books?id=6...q=peregrini Roman Orient Christianity&f=false

Page 310.

It is not "********", it is stated by a great number of historians specializing in Rome that there was a significant amount of both slaves and free citizens that came from other areas of the empire. The funerary inscriptions of the majority of these people strongly suggest an Eastern origin.

No one is denying prehistoric Near Eastern in Italy either. However, we are talking about the admixture that Hellenthal et al. finds to be from historical times, which according to their calculations goes from late Roman to medieval times. People have been talking about military invaders, as usual, but for some reason they simply forget about other people who came to other lands by other means, in this case either as slaves or free citizens. Since Hellenthal et al.'s calculation includes late Roman times, there is no reason why we should deny outright this possible source. So if anything it is other people who have clear agendas, not me. I am simply offering a possible explanation based on Hellenthal et al.'s calculations. If their calculations had excluded Roman times then we would have to confine ourselves to trying to find any other possible explanations for it.

Hellenthal et al. also records Near Eastern admixture from what their calculations say are historical times in other parts of Italy, not just Tuscany.

You might want to research how slavery worked in the Roman empire. It wasn't like the slavery of the new world. It wasn't a life sentence based on race or ethnicity. You could escape it, even in your own lifetime, if you didn't die before your time on a galley or mine or on some latifundia where you were worked to death. So, for the lucky few who proved their worth to their masters because they had more intellect than the average, or some specialized skill, or were just plain lucky, you could escape it and perhaps intermarry with locals.

That would have been a steady drip of genes, coming from all parts of the empire, not just the Near East. Unless you'd like to go on record that northern and eastern slaves were more stupid and therefore less likely to be manumitted and to have a chance of surviving? Also, the slaves remaining in the last days of the empire actually contained a very high percentage of "locals", as worsening economic and climatic conditions drove more and more of the free peasantry into such poverty that for survival they sold themselves and their families into slavery. Then, when the end came, I assure you they would have been the least equipped for survival. Before pontificating on these matters, some actual unbiased research into the matter would be welcome. I assure you I don't misrepresent research, but I'm tired of doing all the work here. Look it up yourself.

Most importantly, I am tired of pointing out to you the logical fallacies in your argument.

Ralph and Coop's IBD analysis indicates no substantial gene sharing after the Iron Age between Italy and any other country, with the exception of some parts of the Balkans. That is probably the Albanians moving into southern Italy. Until someone proves that is incorrect, your endless posts about slavery in Italy suddenly resulting in a 40% new "Cypriot like" gene flow into Tuscans in the early Middle Ages are irrelevant. In addition, once again, even if there was an impact from slavery, those slaves would just as likely have been northern and eastern and western Europeans as Near Easterners.

Oh, and spare us the arguments over how many "Greek" names were assigned to slaves and what that might mean. Is that a serious basis for an analysis of Hellenthal et al? Have you ever heard of "fashion", for goodness sakes? Germanic and Gaulish and such names probably sounded too barbaric. You also obviously have no familiarity with naming conventions in the American south. We find Caesars, Scipios, Homers, a Paris, a Venus, Philbes and Polidores among the slave ship registers, among others. Were they the descendents of Roman and Greek slaves? The naming was the product of the classical education of their masters. How about the Jeremiah's and Abrahams? Did they enslave some Jews on the way from West Africa?
http://www.archives.gov/atlanta/finding-aids/slave-manifests/charleston/names.html

It also strains the bounds of credulity that slaves would have been deliberately distributed on a north to south cline which matches ancient migrations. What, was it like a resettlement station in Nazi Germany? All Germans and Gauls, you'll be resettled to northern Italy. All Greeks and Syrians, please turn right for transport to Campania and Sicily! Really? I also fail to see how it escapes you that if the new gene flow was from a Cypriot like population, then the prior population of Italy was totally "French" and "British Isles" and "Germanic" like. Is that really where you want to go with this?

As to your comments about Hellenthal et al, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and suggest that you read Hellenthal again, and carefully. We have had a problem with you in the past where you misrepresent the findings of academic papers. There were consequences. Don't do it again.

So, as to the paper, there is no mention in the analysis of northern Italy of any mass admixture event involving a "Cypriot" like population in, not the late empire, but at the EARLIEST in 522 AD, and with an average date of 900 AD.

Instead, the admixture date for northern Italy of a "Welsh" like population, although it includes other northern European groups (about 66%) with a "Cypriot like" population (about 33%) is estimated to have taken place in about 668 BC, (766 BC-550AD) That's actually a reasonably good fit for the invasions by the Celts and the Germanic tribes. Do I really need to point out that the new gene flow would have been from north to south? I do think the date may be too late, because the flow would have been going on since the time of the first Indo-European incursions, and the proportions seem very high for the "invader" component. Perhaps this is all complicated by the fact that none of these are the actual "ancient" groups, i.e. the "Welsh", and the "French" and the "Germans" also carried EEF admixture. Of course, maybe I'm partly affected by the fact that I don't want to think I am so heavily descended from the "invaders" who tried to or did bring down our civilization. That's possible. Unlike others, i do sometimes second guess myself by considering whether my "nativism" is affecting my intellectual judgements. I try very diligently not to let that happen.

In conclusion, none of your arguments are new, and none of them provide any support for a sudden infusion of NEW "Cypriot like", or in other words EEF like genes into Tuscans in the period from the mid-500s to the 900's AD. There may indeed have been some new "Celtic" and a little "Germanic" like ancestry that perhaps made its way into Tuscany later than was the case for northern Italy, but I still maintain that the numbers are too high.

Drac II:According to some of the historians I have read, the eastern names among slaves and free foreigners are more common in the later times of the empire. Some proposed partial explanation for this increase in easterners are Caracalla's edict granting Roman citizenship to most free peoples of the empire, and the gradual expansion of Christianity, a religion that in its early stages spread via immigrants from the eastern parts of the empire:

https://books.google.com/books?id=6U...ianity&f=false

Page 310.

That excerpt has absolutely nothing to do with your argument that Greek names in slaves indicate that most of them came from the Near East. I told you what would happen if you misrepresented academic papers. DO IT ONE MORE TIME and I'll give you an infraction. I am really lax in handing them out, but that can be remedied. Am I sufficiently clear?

You might want to research how slavery worked in the Roman empire. It wasn't like the slavery of the new world. It wasn't a life sentence based on race or ethnicity. You could escape it, even in your own lifetime, if you didn't die before your time on a galley or mine or on some latifundia where you were worked to death. So, for the lucky few who proved their worth to their masters because they had more intellect than the average, or some specialized skill, or were just plain lucky, you could escape it and perhaps intermarry with locals. That would have been a steady drip of genes, coming from all parts of the empire, not just the Near East. Unless you'd like to go on record that northern and eastern slaves were more stupid and therefore less likely to be manumitted and to have a chance of surviving? Also, the slaves remaining in the last days of the empire actually contained a very high percentage of "locals", as worsening economic and climatic conditions drove more and more of the free peasantry into such poverty that for survival they sold themselves and their families into slavery. Then, when the end came, I assure you they would have been the least equipped for survival. Before pontificating on these matters, some actual unbiased research into the matter would be welcome.

Manumision was for all slaves, obviously, not just the eastern ones, but since the eastern ones seem to have been more common, at least in the later days of the empire, then it is hardly outlandish to expect to perhaps see more contribution from them. Also, you keep forgetting that there was also a large presence of free citizens, usually called "peregrini" by the Romans. As in the case of the slaves and freedmen, these free citizens also seem to have more commonly come from the eastern parts of the empire, once again at least since the early Christian centuries. Christianity itself spread to Rome from these immigrants.

Most importantly, I am tired of pointing out to you the logical fallacies in your argument.

Ralph and Coop's IBD analysis indicates no substantial gene sharing after the Iron Age between Italy and any other country with the exception of some parts of the Balkans. That is probably the Albanians moving into southern Italy. Until someone proves that is incorrect, your endless posts about slavery in Italy suddenly resulting in a 40% new "Cypriot like" gene flow into Tuscans in the early Middle Ages are irrelevant. In addition, once again, even if there was an impact from slavery, those slaves would just as likely have been northern and eastern and western Europeans as Near Easterners.

That study used IBDs, as you yourself said. As interesting as they may be, the conclusions derived from IBDs are not infrequently at odds with other forms of DNA analysis. We are witnessing one right here in the subject of this thread. Apparently Hellenthal et al. were not totally convinced by previous IBD analysis and stuck to their guns that the admixture in question seems to be from historical times.

Oh, and spare us the arguments over how many "Greek" names were assigned to slaves and what that might mean. Is that a basis for an analysis of Hellenthal et al? Have you ever heard of "fashion", for goodness sakes? Germanic and Gaulish and such names probably sounded too barbaric. You also obviously have no familiarity with naming conventions in the American south. We find Caesars, Scipios, Homers, Paris, Philbes and Polidores among the slave ship registers, among others. Were they the descendents of Roman and Greek slaves? The naming was the product of the classical education of their masters. How about the Jeremiah's and Abrahams? Did they enslave some Jews on the way from West Africa?

But by the same token names of eastern origin would have also been foreign to the Romans. So why this common usage of eastern names for slaves? Surely, this was not the result of some strange "fashion" of the day. I don't see many Romans adopting such names. You would think that if this was merely a product of some vogue historians would have pointed it out already, but the majority of them take these names as very suggestive regarding the provenance of these slaves. Obviously these names were not common among the Romans and serve as a distinguishing factor.

It is furthermore incomprehensible that slaves would have been deliberately distributed on a north to south cline which matches ancient migrations. What, was it like the train station at Auschwitz? All Germans and Gauls, you'll be resettled to northern Italy. All Greeks and Syrians, please turn right for transport to Campania and Sicily! Really? I also fail to see how it escapes you that if the new gene flow was from a Cypriot like population, then the prior population of Italy was totally "French" and "British Isles" and "Germanic" like. Is that really where you want to go with this?

As to your comments about Hellenthal et al, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and suggest that you read Hellenthal again, and carefully. We have had a problem with you in the past where you misrepresent the findings of academic papers. There were consequences. Don't do it again.

So, as to the paper, there is no mention in the analysis of northern Italy of any mass admixture event involving a "Cypriot" like population in, not the late empire, but at the EARLIEST in 522 AD, and with an average date of 900 AD.

Instead, the admixture date for northern Italy of a "Welsh" like population, although it includes other northern European groups (about 66%) with a "Cypriot like" population (about 33%) is estimated to have taken place in about 668 BC, (766 BC-550AD) That's actually a reasonably good fit for the invasions by the Celts and the Germanic tribes. Do I really need to point out that the new gene flow would have been from north to south? I do think the date may be too late, because the flow would have been going on since the time of the first Indo-European incursions, and the proportions seem very high for the "invader" component. Perhaps this is all complicated by the fact that none of these are the actual "ancient" groups, i.e. the "Welsh", and the "French" and the "Germans" also carried EEF admixture. Of course, maybe I'm partly affected by the fact that I don't want to think I am so heavily descended from the "invaders" who tried to or did bring down our civilization. That's possible. Unlike others, i do sometimes second guess myself by considering whether my "nativism" is affecting my intellectual judgements. I try very diligently not to let that happen.

In conclusion, none of your argumetns are new.

The dates you are citing from the same paper (522 AD at earliest for Tuscany and 550 AD at latest for northern Italy) easily fit into Roman times as well, so I fail to see what your objections are. There is nothing in such earliest to latest estimates that excludes the Roman period. The only place in Italy where they seem to have excluded the Roman period in their estimated admixture time frames is Western Sicily. Here the admixture is claimed to be exclusively medieval (914CE - 1362CE)

Anyway you should see De Gaetano et al or Brisighelli et al which found more North African admixture in North and Central Italy than in the South.

No, 23andMe data suggests there is more MENA in South Italy.

The reason that Tuscan's data behaves in such way is perhaps this peculiarity.

Haak_et_al_Fig_3_small.png

Tuscans lack any distinct WHG. They are basicaly ENF + Steppe.
Some event is detected in Middle Ages ( perhaps a Nordic invasion maybe also some southern )
The calculator search a population that can simulate the ENF and picks the Near Eastern populations. It favours the Armenians because they have also Caucasic, which is part of Steppe component.

So the real admixture event is much much smaller. Perhaps smaller than 10% or even 5%. The rest is just a desperate search to simulate the unique Tuscan population.

This method's main limitation is that they have no aDNA. If the existing aDNA data is added to this type of calculations we could get very good results consistent with historic events.

As I mentioned before, what we need is some MN from further south in Italy than Remedello. Was it even more "farmer" like than Remedello? It might at least have been "different". We have J2 and E-V13 in Lengyel and Sopot in the mid/late Neolithic. How different were the people of this "second wave" of the Neolithic? When did they make their way to central and southern Italy? When did the "Indo-Europeans" actually make their way into Italy? What was their autosomal make-up when they arrived? Did some of them, at least, come from across the Adriatic? Were those Indo-Europeans different from those who came by way of central Europe? What actually happened in Tuscany during the "Etruscan" era? Some people are determined to see a large migration from Anatolia or at least the northern Aegean around 1000 BC. However, preliminary reports are that the Etruscans, at least the elite ones, who would be presumed to have more of that ancestry, were just "southern European". (In this case perhaps the actual paper will be more illuminating.) We know that there are attested Celtic migrations throughout all of northern Italy that went all the way down to northern Tuscany, and even occasionally to Rome. We know the date for those migrations and for those from the Greek colonizations, whose genetic signature would be stronger in the south but could diffuse northward.

At the end of all that, what would have been the autosomal signature in various parts of Italy during the Republican era, let's say? How much would it have been changed by slavery from all the areas from which slaves were drawn and who were allowed to reproduce? How much change was there in Lombard areas after those folk migrations? There was a substantial Lombard settlement in Tuscany.

It is beyond me how, without ancient dna from these periods, anyone can presume to make blanket statements about the ethnogenesis of the various Italian "peoples". Hellenthal et al is a fail when it comes to the ethnogenesis of the Tuscans.

As to this matter of the lack of WHG in Tuscans, I can't totally explain it. It may indeed be that there were very few local foragers in that area when the neolithic peoples arrived. However, Tuscany was indeed impacted by the Celts and the Lombards. In addition, they have Yamnaya ancestry, which would presumably include some WHG. I have wondered if it's possible that the algorithm is, in this case, having difficulty distinguishing between the WHG and the EHG in Tuscans.

Also, to say that Tuscans lack WHG is, in fact, not precisely correct, as there is WHG inside EEF, whether it became part of the mix in the Near East or in Europe.

It is not "********", it is stated by a great number of historians specializing in Rome that there was a significant amount of both slaves and free citizens that came from other areas of the empire. The funerary inscriptions of the majority of these people strongly suggest an Eastern origin.

No one is denying prehistoric Near Eastern in Italy either. However, we are talking about the admixture that Hellenthal et al. finds to be from historical times, which according to their calculations goes from late Roman to medieval times. People have been talking about military invaders, as usual, but for some reason they simply forget about other people who came to other lands by other means, in this case either as slaves or free citizens. Since Hellenthal et al.'s calculation includes late Roman times, there is no reason why we should deny outright this possible source. So if anything it is other people who have clear agendas, not me. I am simply offering a possible explanation based on Hellenthal et al.'s calculations. If their calculations had excluded Roman times then we would have to confine ourselves to trying to find any other possible explanations for it.

Hellenthal et al. also records Near Eastern admixture from what their calculations say are historical times in other parts of Italy, not just Tuscany.

Barcin in today's modern turkey was always, in ancient times, Thracian pre-trojan war time, it was the only area always known as Thracian, it sits under Bithnyia.

Find what Asia Minor meant to the ancient Greek historians and then see it it has the same meaning as near eastern

@Drac

Are you seriously suggesting that IBD analysis is not a correct methodology?
At least do you know how it works or are you just going in circles?

The Hellenthal et al paper received critics from many professional genetists because of its methodology. AFAIK none has criticized the Ralph and Coop et al or the IBD analysis, so I stand right.

Manumision was for all slaves, obviously, not just the eastern ones, but since the eastern ones seem to have been more common, at least in the later days of the empire, then it is hardly outlandish to expect to perhaps see more contribution from them. Also, you keep forgetting that there was also a large presence of free citizens, usually called "peregrini" by the Romans. As in the case of the slaves and freedmen, these free citizens also seem to have more commonly come from the eastern parts of the empire, once again at least since the early Christian centuries. Christianity itself spread to Rome from these immigrants.

That study used IBDs, as you yourself said. As interesting as they may be, the conclusions derived from IBDs are not infrequently at odds with other forms of DNA analysis. We are witnessing one right here in the subject of this thread. Apparently Hellenthal et al. were not totally convinced by previous IBD analysis and stuck to their guns that the admixture in question seems to be from historical times.

But by the same token names of eastern origin would have also been foreign to the Romans. So why this common usage of eastern names for slaves? Surely, this was not the result of some strange "fashion" of the day. I don't see many Romans adopting such names. You would think that if this was merely a product of some vogue historians would have pointed it out already, but the majority of them take these names as very suggestive regarding the provenance of these slaves. Obviously these names were not common among the Romans and serve as a distinguishing factor.

The dates you are citing from the same paper (522 AD at earliest for Tuscany and 550 AD at latest for northern Italy) easily fit into Roman times as well, so I fail to see what your objections are. There is nothing in such earliest to latest estimates that excludes the Roman period. The only place in Italy where they seem to have excluded the Roman period in their estimated admixture time frames is Western Sicily. Here the admixture is claimed to be exclusively medieval (914CE - 1362CE)

This is the last time I will respond to your posts on this matter. It's a waste of time.

Nowhere do you provide any actual empirical evidence for your claims about the number, condition, or ethnic origin of the slaves in the area of Tuscany, or anywhere in Italy for that matter. The trivial matter of "slave" names has been sufficiently addressed. American slave owners didn't write down their reasons for naming slaves Homer and Venus. However, we're supposed to be intelligent enough not to draw the inference that they were necessarily Greek.

You obviously have not actually read the entire Hellenthal et al paper, , which I today read for the second time, or you would know that they didn't opine about the source of any "new" gene flow into Tuscany in the period starting in 522 AD. Given that all historical evidence indicates that the major new gene flow came from northern and western Europe in the form of actual folk migrations from Gaul, central Europe, and then northern Europe in the form of the Lombards, perhaps they didn't feel it was necessary to even address your bizarre interpretation of the event.

Any other interpretation is groundless and would have us believe that prior to that date all the "Tuscans" were 100% northern and western European.

Also, if you had read the paper, you would know that rather than deprecating IBD analysis, in their discussion of the ethnogenesis of eastern Europeans they specifically state that their work supports the findings of IBD analysis.

Of course, if you claim you did read it, am I supposed to infer you deliberately distorted the findings? I'd be happy to accept that, because then I can give you another infraction.

@Drac

Are you seriously suggesting that IBD analysis is not a correct methodology?
At least do you know how it works or are you just going in circles?

The Hellenthal et al paper received critics from many professional genetists because of its methodology. AFAIK none has criticized the Ralph and Coop et al or the IBD analysis, so I stand right.

Hellenthal et al drew numerous incorrect conclusions:

Among the many such:
1.Japanese are not shown to be an admixture of Jomon and mainland people, which has recently been shown to be the case.

2.No signal of admixture between "Celts" and "Anglo-Saxons" in Britain was picked up, although better and more extensive testing of modern samples in Leslie et al, and the recent analysis of ancient samples proves it did occur.

3. Sardinians are not a mixture of the French and Egyptians and the admixture most definitely didn't take place in the Byzantine era. They are the closest we have to ancient EEF farmers.

4. The Kalash are not 23% of Scots descent.

Need we go on?

Angela
Well recent Treemix calculations by Davidski show European ancestry in Kalash.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o3EYTdM8lQM0FsbldSd2RLZDg/view

2.No signal of admixture between "Celts" and "Anglo-Saxons" in Britain was picked up, although better and more extensive testing of modern samples in Leslie et al, and the recent analysis of ancient samples proves it did occur.

The interesting thing about "Celts" and "Anglo-Saxons" is the fact that modern Britons are much closer to Celts than to the 'newcomers', it seems there was a 'native' gene resurgence after the invasion so the reason why it doesn't find any admixture is perhaps this phenomena.

As I repeated many times my purpose is not to prove any massive influx from Anatolia. I believe that Etruscans are natives of Italy. I open this thread because there was other amazing things. For example 2 of 3 paternal descendants of LBA_Kapan_Armenia live in Italy (one in Sardinia and one in Sicily). Why Italy? If You look at Lazaridis et al. then Tuscans are close to Greeks, and Albanians. Their SWA being small but is higher than for Albanians.

Admixtures-Lazaridis.png

joeyc

Armenians can't have a Mesopotamian origin, Armenians can only assimilate some 'semitic' populations.
Concerning Allentoft paper. If You a make big zoom on the PCA1 high resolution file of Allentoft, You will be surprised to see that BA Armenians are close to modern Armenians. The difference that You pinpoint is from autosomal components.
So before we see the autosomal components of ancient Tuscans compared to modern one, one can't be sure on anything. The PCA that You posted can't tell the full story.

No no. The samples from Allentoft are now public and Polako has uploaded them on his Eurogenes project. Bronze and Iron Age Armenians have a huge amount of steppe and native European ancestry, while modern Armenians are impossible to tell apart from Mesopotamiam/Semitic peoples like Assyrians, Chaldeans, Iraqi Jews, ....

joeyc

I understand what You are saying. But I am speaking about PCA and not autosomal components. Of course in autosomal they had a lot off EHG and no SWA. But the PCA is different.
You can look the Allentoft's PCA here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwiYFZ1GMcZLSUNmVFZFTU42RjA/view?usp=sharing

That's why I am saying that PCA can't tell the whole story about ancient Tuscans.

This is zoomed portion with some modern populations.

PCA1-Allentoftetal2015.jpg

In Europe there is a clear correlation between IE languages and the Caucasus-Gedrosia component.
Look Basques, Sardinians have no that component. Spanish and Fins have very little.
This mean that Etruscans as non-IE people will also have a small amount of that component most probably, but the modern Tuscans have the Caucasus-Gedrosia of Lazaridis.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 43352 times.

Back