Haplogroup I (M170)

124569d

Reaction score
Our son gave me a DNA tester for Christmas but we decided to have him tested as it would represent both parents and his brother. Now we are trying to find out more about Haplogroup I (M170). What we know my husband's paternal grandfather came from Finland and his paternal grandmother ? My husband's maternal grandfather's side came from England and his maternal grandmother from Scotland.

My father's side from Switzerland going back to Zwingli. My mother's mother from Germany and they felt related to Heinrich Breunig (Chancellor before Hilter) though Heinrich and his brother and sister never had married or had children. Heinrich fled to America when Hilter took over and wrote to my grandmother & mom and the family called him uncle so I am wondering time wise and genealogically could his father's brother's or sisters or his grandfather's brothers or sisters be related (in otherwise not a direct link to Heinrich but through an uncle or granduncle?) Is there anyway to tell through the Haplogroup or ? Can the Haplogrouping tell us the map to how we got here from the beginning? I find this fascinating.

Hello there 123, welcome to eupedia.
Your Ydna Haplogroup I (M170) is your marker that strictly only inherited from your father's father's...... line, kind of like your surname only older.
That being said, Ydna I (M170) is a broad Haplogroup that can be traced directly back to the Mesolithic Grevvitian Culture.

If you want to find out your full ancestry and to seek out relatives, I recommend DNA testing with ansomal dna companies like 23andme, ancestrydna and gedmatch.com to name a few examples. I believe Hitler was Austrian so he might be either a family friend or a relative but I recommend doing some geneology as well.

good luck in your search :)

Did the Y-DNA test give anything more specific than Haplogroup I? Perhaps it says I1 or I2, or maybe some more SNP names like L258? A certain type of Haplogroup I1 is common in Finland, especially western Finland.

Hello there 123, welcome to eupedia.
Your Ydna Haplogroup I (M170) is your marker that strictly only inherited from your father's father's...... line, kind of like your surname only older.
That being said, Ydna I (M170) is a broad Haplogroup that can be traced directly back to the Mesolithic Grevvitian Culture.

If you want to find out your full ancestry and to seek out relatives, I recommend DNA testing with ansomal dna companies like 23andme, ancestrydna and gedmatch.com to name a few examples....

Welcome!

Which company did you use for your son's test? You might be able to get a more specific result.

Did you get a mtDNA haplogroup? Your son should have the same one that you do. Your husband does not necessarily have the same one as both of you.

In a very broad and general sense, Haplogroup I represents descent from stone-age European men, while Haplogroup R (which is somewhat more common than I nowadays) represents descent from bronze age or possibly very late stone age men from western Asia. I am an R. Other y-lineages in Europe, such as E, G, J, N, and Q, are less common but certainly nowhere near rare. N is actually pretty common in Finland alongside of I, but rare outside of historical Uralic speaking areas.

This thread has been viewed 4084 times.

Back