Greek-Cypriot population reveals elements consistent with Neolithic and Bronze Age

Sile

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
North Alpine Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
mtDNA haplogroup
H95a1 ..Pannoni
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s13323-016-0032-8/fulltext.html

Analyses of Cypriot haplogroup data are consistent with two stages of prehistoric settlement. E-V13 and E-M34 are widespread, and PCA suggests sourcing them to the Balkans and Levant/Anatolia, respectively. The persistent pre-Greek component is represented by elements of G2-U5(xL30) haplogroups: U5*, PF3147, and L293. J2b-M205 may contribute also to the pre-Greek strata. The majority of R1b-Z2105 lineages occur in both the westernmost and easternmost districts. Distinctively, sub-haplogroup R1b- M589 occurs only in the east. The absence of R1b- M589 lineages in Crete and the Balkans and the presence in Asia Minor are compatible with Late Bronze Age influences from Anatolia rather than from Mycenaean Greeks.

My early readings is that E-V13 would seem to be from cyprus as well as E-M34

The Ydna split is best seen through this PDF file

http://download.springer.com/static...396238976591f47889d8b7c070c81a63943147be40bb0

Greek-Cypriot Y DNA results.

J2a1 and E1b1b1 take up 46% of Y DNA. E1b1b1 and J2a1 overwhelmed G2a2 in the Aegean after 4000 BC. 59% is J2a1+E1b1b1+G2a2. Most J2a1 is; J2a1b and J2a1h. Most G2a is G2a2 and most G2a2 is G2a2b. E1b1b1 is pretty evenly broke up between E1b1b1a1b1a-V13, E1b1b1a1b2-V22, and E1b1b1b2a1-M34. Kotais had J2a, but he didn't have J2a1, which looks like the dominate form of J2a in all moderns.

Greek-Cypriot Y DNA results.

J2a1 and E1b1b1 take up 46% of Y DNA. E1b1b1 and J2a1 overwhelmed G2a2 in the Aegean after 4000 BC. 59% is J2a1+E1b1b1+G2a2. Most J2a1 is; J2a1b and J2a1h. Most G2a is G2a2 and most G2a2 is G2a2b. E1b1b1 is pretty evenly broke up between E1b1b1a1b1a-V13, E1b1b1a1b2-V22, and E1b1b1b2a1-M34. Kotais had J2a, but he didn't have J2a1, which looks like the dominate form of J2a in all moderns.

thanks

I see for me and my Ydna T it is noted as caucasus via lake Van and susan association...........these area in western and northern kurd lands hold 14 and 18% respectively for the T marker

Some of the most interesting bits of the paper for me:

"The pre-Greek influence is most plausibly encapsulated by the following G2a haplogroups: U5*, PF3147*, L91, L293, P303*, and CTS342. Notably, most of these lineages occur in Anatolian ancient DNA specimens over 8200 years old [53]. In addition, some J2a lineages such as M67, M319, and J2b-M205 may also have contributed to the pre-Greek strata."

I know quite a few G2a southern Italians who carry those lineages. They'll be interested to see how long their paternal lineages may have been in place.

They link the G2a lineages they see with the Pre-Pottery Neolithic and the J2b possibly with Pottery Neolithic.
"Both genetic data from the literature and Syria (Chiaroni J, unpublished results) show a frequency peak of J2b-M205 in the Southern Levant in which the frequency decreases northwards with latitude (Pearson’s R 2 = 0.282, p value = 0.011). The J2b-M205 distribution coincides with the Neolithic crop package dissemination found in common between the Levant and Cyprus [5]. Also J2b-M12 Td estimates (Table 3) coupled with the J2b-M205 distribution overlap significantly with the Pottery Neolithic to Early Bronze Age pattern of settlements in Nicosia, Pafos, Limassol, and Kyreneia (chi-square = 11.29, p  < .00084). This suggests the possibility that Cyprus experienced a later (Pottery Neolithic) immigration from the Southern Levant."

As to J2a:
"Regarding J2a-M410, the most common M530 sublineages are J2a-Z387 (4.9 %) linked with the distinctive six repeat allele at the DYS445 short tandem repeat locus proposed [18] to represent a Neolithic expansion from Anatolia to Greece and Italy, a pattern similar to G2a-M406 [30], at 4.9 % and J2a-Page55*(xM67,M319,Z387) at 5.2 %."

They also see an arrival of some of the yDna "E" lineages in the Neolithic:

" E-V22 and E-M34 are common in the Southern Levant, Sicily, Algeria, and in Egypt and rare in Europe [27, 36]. These lineages, like J2b-M205, could mirror a Pottery Neolithic movement to Cyprus from the Southern Levant (Pearson R 2 coefficient of correlation of E- M34 to longitude: 0.164, p = 0.003)."

From this period until the Bronze Age, the population of Cyprus seems to have been relatively isolated. Then came the metal prospectors and traders of the Bronze Age.

"Recent insights from ancient DNA studies suggest the spread of genes during the Bronze Age involved J2a-M67 individuals who appear in the Central European plains during the Late Bronze Age [86]. J2a-M67, proposed to represent both the Neolithic of Central Anatolia and the expansion of the Troia Maritime Culture in Northwestern Anatolia (13.5 %) [31], is also quite common in Cyprus (10.1 %). Testing the hypothesis that the origin of the Early Bronze Philia culture in Cyprus derives from Western/Northwest Anatolia, the distribution of J2a- M67 on Cyprus fits well (chi-square = 3.42, p <  .032, one-tailed). J2a-Z489, present in Pafos and Northwest/Central Anatolia, may reflect Bronze Age immigration from Western Anatolia, the Philia phase, or mirror the Jewish population on the island from the Hellenistic/Roman Eras."

Their discussion of the yDna lineages is also very interesting, with a split between E-V13 and the others. They propose a movement of E-V13 later with a late Bronze Age expansion, an expansion that has previously been proposed. They don't tackle when the pre-EV13 arrived in the Balkans, although we know pre-E-V13 was there by around 4500 BC.

"E-V13 is common in the Balkans and may mark some of the Greek demographic input to Cyprus from the Late Bronze Age through the Iron Age [79]. Network analysis of 46 E-V13 haplotypes (Additional file 10: Figure S5) shows a discrete clustering of 15 samples suggestive of a sub-haplogroup (encircled with an oval). This cluster is characterized by DYS437 = 15 repeats not seen in the Anatolian Greek population, or in the Provence samples [20]. The remaining 31 samples overlap with the Anatolian Greek E-V13 lineages."

This is what they have to say about the R1b Z2105 of Yamnaya fame.
" In Cyprus, Z2105 has the opposite distribution from J2a-M67 and J2b-M205, concentrating in the East/Northeast regions of Cyprus (chi-square = 5.01, p < .0256). The Late Bronze Age cities of Enkomi, Kition, and Hala Sultan Tekke, found in the Larnaka and Ammochostos districts, may have received immigrants from Hittite/Luwian Anatolia involved in the trade of the Late Bronze Age Eastern Mediterranean."

The Myceneans may also have carried this lineage. In terms of distinguishing the two strands, this is what they have to say:

"Updating previous R1b-L23* data pertinent to Cyprus [18, 28, 56] reveals that while the presence of R1b-Z2105 in central and west Europe is minimal, conversely, it is informative in present-day Anatolia (10.2 %), Greece (7.0 %), Bulgaria (5.7 %), and Crete (3.1 %). While the emerging R1b-Z2105 substructure [64] has yet to be evaluated at population levels, one relevant sub-haplogroup defined by M589 is illuminating. The majority of Cypriot R1b-Z2105 lineages occur in both the westernmost and easternmost districts, Pafos and Ammochostos, respectively. Notably, of the two districts, the M589 sub-haplogroup occurs only in the east. The absence of M589 lineages in Crete and the Balkans and the presence in Asia Minor are compatible with a record of Late Bronze Age influences from Anatolia rather than from Mycenaean Greeks."

There's a lot of upstream Z2105 in southern Italy, particularly in Calabria. It would be interesting to see the subgroups there.

My early readings is that E-V13 would seem to be from cyprus as well as E-M34

How can they be from Cyprus if the same article states sourcing them to the Balkans and Levant?

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s13323-016-0032-8/fulltext.html

Analyses of Cypriot haplogroup data are consistent with two stages of prehistoric settlement. E-V13 and E-M34 are widespread, and PCA suggests sourcing them to the Balkans and Levant/Anatolia, respectively.

Interesting.
If I red well, the only Y-R1b we have there are under L23, with no occidental L51? - Could it confirm my believings that L51 bearers were in the Northwestern Branch of R1b? the Z2105 could be the Northeastern branch, formed around the Volga before to get southwards, or at the contrary were firstly out South-Caucasus before climbing northwards across Caucasus as an elite towards Samara and all Steppes??? still unclear for me. Only bets.

" E-V22 and E-M34 are common in the Southern Levant, Sicily, Algeria, and in Egypt and rare in Europe [27, 36]. These lineages, like J2b-M205, could mirror a Pottery Neolithic movement to Cyprus from the Southern Levant (Pearson R2 coefficient of correlation of E- M34 to longitude: 0.164, p = 0.003)."

Yes! Seafaring people of the Impressed Ware? Found all around the Mediterranean Coast:
europe-map1.gif
And with a little offspring in Northwestern Europe? Quote: "Furthermore, there are several sites with La Hoguette pottery and Begleitkeramik (e.g. Gassel-Over de Voort, Venlo-Ossenberg and Ede- Frankeneng) that are situated relatively far to the north, verging on the wetland margins (see Brounen/Hauzeur 2010). They currently provide an ill-understood and potentially early influence of pottery producing communities with a largely southern distribution, that may have influenced developments taking place in the wetlands. Much later, a site such as Hüde I may demonstrate the ongoing importance of these southern contacts as rather complete Bischheim vessels were found there dating to c. 4400 cal BC (Kampffmeyer 1991). From: https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/handle/1887/22968

And what about the findings of Pontus Skoglund? http://dienekes.blogspot.nl/2012/04/ancient-dna-from-neolithic-sweden.html

Makes clear that in Europe besides a more inland, corded ware, influence, there was a more coastal, cordial/impressed ware, movement!? What about the Littoriden from Deniker/Lundman ok the racial thing is absurd, but some Atlantic/ North Sea coastal spread of Mediterranean genes !? See:
:Bertil Lundman.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting.
If I red well, the only Y-R1b we have there are under L23, with no occidental L51? - Could it confirm my believings that L51 bearers were in the Northwestern Branch of R1b? the Z2105 could be the Northeastern branch, formed around the Volga before to get southwards, or at the contrary were firstly out South-Caucasus before climbing northwards across Caucasus as an elite towards Samara and all Steppes??? still unclear for me. Only bets.
Exactly the image I have in my mind with the same doubts. :)

Exactly the image I have in my mind with the same doubts. :)

I found more details with Bernard Secher Blog:
TODAY Cyprus greek population Y-DNA:
Y-R1b-M269*L23: 2,5% --- Y-R1b-L51: 2,2% --- Y-R1b-Z2105 all: 5,4% - surely some M269*L23 are "cousins to the Z2105 when others, less numerous, are "cousins" to L51.
It shows some R-L51 among TODAY Cyprians; coming WHEN from WHERE? What keeps on question standing on.

I found more details with Bernard Secher Blog:
TODAY Cyprus greek population Y-DNA:
Y-R1b-M269*L23: 2,5% --- Y-R1b-L51: 2,2% --- Y-R1b-Z2105 all: 5,4% - surely some M269*L23 are "cousins to the Z2105 when others, less numerous, are "cousins" to L51.
It shows some R-L51 among TODAY Cyprians; coming WHEN from WHERE? What keeps on question standing on.
From Europe since Iron Age. It is possible that majority of it came with one strong historical event, but I don't know history of Cyprus to even have a guess.

This thread has been viewed 7638 times.

Back