Tested great uncle's DNA his father was from Italy what do these results mean?

Only with aDNA we can say that.

There is sure an hotspot of M223 around there.

I have found distant cousins of mine who have a heritage from Rose Calabria, San Morello, Terravecchia, Amantea, San Pietro Amantea, and Paola Calabria but I have not been able to find any of my own ancestors who are from either of those towns or cities.

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have read about options on the I-M223 SNP Pack for selecting other SNPs, what are the advantages of doing this? Or is it best to just use the pre-selected ones?[/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Which other SNPs should I test for based on the results I received for the first test?

I did ask this question in the IM-223 DNA group and people just gave me very general answers.
[/FONT]

I have read about options on the I-M223 SNP Pack for selecting other SNPs, what are the advantages of doing this? Or is it best to just use the pre-selected ones?

Which other SNPs should I test for based on the results I received for the first test?

I did ask this question in the IM-223 DNA group and people just gave me very general answers.

It's usually better for I2 carriers to choose SNPs individually, because I2 is an old clade without much convergence, making STR tests mostly sufficient for us. In your case, on the M223 Project site, you're classified in a group that says on the header: "test I-M223 SNP Pack or confirm CTS6433 test S2364."

What's cheaper, the SNP Pack or both CTS6433 and S2364 individually? Go for the cheaper option.

It's usually better for I2 carriers to choose SNPs individually, because I2 is an old clade without much convergence, making STR tests mostly sufficient for us. In your case, on the M223 Project site, you're classified in a group that says on the header: "test I-M223 SNP Pack or confirm CTS6433 test S2364."

What's cheaper, the SNP Pack or both CTS6433 and S2364 individually? Go for the cheaper option.

OK thank you for the reply. I will select the individual ones then, and look up the prices for the SNP pack, CTS6433, and S2364. My great-uncle is no longer alive but lived until his early 90s, so I was the one who tested him before he died.

Part of his DNA has to match with people living in Normandy. However, to tie him to historical Norman warrior might be impossible.

Part of his DNA has to match with people living in Normandy. However, to tie him to historical Norman warrior might be impossible.
OK that's what I figured. I am not sure why some people earlier in this thread would say that he and our Italian ancestors have a Norman heritage, Norman DNA, etc.?

I looked up his haplogroup I2a2a-M223, and it's more common in Germanic people who are living in modern day western Europe.

I am still not sure if I should do further testing on his YDNA? Or what the best test for this would be?

OK that's what I figured. I am not sure why some people earlier in this thread would say that he and our Italian ancestors have a Norman heritage, Norman DNA, etc.?

I looked up his haplogroup I2a2a-M223, and it's more common in Germanic people who are living in modern day western Europe.

I am still not sure if I should do further testing on his YDNA? Or what the best test for this would be?
It is a new science. We are still learning. Give it 10 more years and we should be able to pinpoint your ancestry much better.

This thread has been viewed 16668 times.

Back