How accurate is this movie? Genetic History of Europe

PIER1A

Reaction score
Hi
some 1.5 years ago basing on information from Eupedia I produced quite basic movie about spread of haplogroups in Europe and how they contributed into main groups of nations in Europe.
Since that moment some research results change, so my request here: can you comment it and suggest corrections?
Thank you in advance

Genetic History of Europe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hOgIeNfu1Y

Welcome to Eupedia PIER1a. Cool video. :)
Here are my few observations.
- I2a people lived in Northern Europe before I1 showed up there. The oldest I1 sample so far comes from Hungary during Neolithic.
- Most likely R1a and R1b could have been in Europe since LGM. R1b in South-east and R1a in north-east Europe. Not as late as 6000 BC.
- You skipped all the Neolithic migration from Near East and forgot to mention about G2a, their main Y DNA.
- I2 and I1 people didn't just learn how to farm. They were mostly replaced by farmers and farmer DNA. However hg I turned to be resilient and replaced some of farmers G2a.
- Same with R1a and R1b, the IEs, they didn't just learn how to farm but also mixed with farmers genetically. Only after mixing with farmers and becoming farmer-pastoralists they grew up in numbers and expanded everywhere.
- I think that concentrating only on Y DNA is huge simplification. It is only 2% of DNA. It gives you your last name but doesn't tell you who you are. Every European is made of 3 major ancestral groups of farmers and hunter gatherers. You wouldn't know that just from paternal haplogroup. Your story should go a bit deeper than just a flavor of our Y DNA.
Regards

This thread has been viewed 3074 times.

Back