Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
I have a feeling, that due to radical Islam and other factors, it might become popular again in the West: :grin:

Naer Oostland willen wy ryden,
Naer Oostland willen wy me.
Daer isser en bessere stee.

Translation:

We want to ride to eastern lands.
We want together to eastern lands.
Where a better life awaits us.

Modern performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp_0SVCe28I

Be careful what you wish for, lol. When East Europe becomes successful like "West Europe" it would draw all the immigrants from around the world. Immigrants are drawn to the economic success and the freedom.

Apparently before the "Black Death" it was the case - Western Europe was overpopulated and starving.

Paradoxically the "Black Death" greatly improved living conditios for those people who had survived it.

Apparently before the "Black Death" it was the case - Western Europe was overpopulated and starving.

Paradoxically the "Black Death" greatly improved living conditios for those people who had survived it.
Not really, before Black Death Italy was prosperous and on verge of Renaissance. Black Death set Europe back couple of hundreds of years in cultural and economic development. Surely there were some poor people who benefited from death of others, equiring fields and land parcels. But for most, it was one of greatest european disasters.

Be careful what you wish for, lol. When East Europe becomes successful like "West Europe" it would draw all the immigrants from around the world. Immigrants are drawn to the economic success and the freedom.
I agree about immigration, but our culture is fundamentally different. Even if we do become as prosperous, which many would say we won't because of those same cultural differences, we would never open up our borders to the extent that Germany has.

I agree about immigration, but our culture is fundamentally different. Even if we do become as prosperous, which many would say we won't because of those same cultural differences, we would never open up our borders to the extent that Germany has.
I'm sure this was exact sentiment of Germans 70 years ago. And look at them now. Things change, people change.

I'm sure this was exact sentiment of Germans 70 years ago. And look at them now. Things change, people change.
I don't know about that. I understand that people change, but here there are certain changes that people want more than others. Also, who knows how the situations will change with the Middle East / North Africa by the time we become more prosperous. Maybe before then we will see Slavs colonizing the Middle East ;)

I don't know about that. I understand that people change, but here there are certain changes that people want more than others. Also, who knows how the situations will change with the Middle East / North Africa by the time we become more prosperous.
Look at Europe or around the world, the more prosperous the country the more open, liberal and inclusive. Generally speaking of course. Prosperity brings freedom, tolerance and liberalization. Poorer countries remain more conservative and intolerant.

Maybe before then we will see Slavs colonizing the Middle East ;)
And what Slavic country would lead the new "Crusade"? Even dictator Putin with strongest Slavic country Russia gave up on fighting in Syria. Middle East these days is like a hornet nest. Nobody wants to touch it!

Look at Europe or around the world, the more prosperous the country the more open, liberal and inclusive. Generally speaking of course. Prosperity brings freedom, tolerance and liberalization. Poorer countries remain more conservative and intolerant.

And what Slavic country would lead the new "Crusade"? Even dictator Putin with strongest Slavic country Russia gave up on fighting in Syria. Middle East these days is like a hornet nest. Nobody wants to touch it!
For us, traditional values are very important. If certain progress threatens them, then we are not okay with that- it's simply a difference in lifestyle.
As far as the Middle East, I didn't mean crusades, I meant simple immigration.

the song says otherwise
he wants to go east because he's fallen in love with a woman over there

do you refer to countries like Saoudi Arabia than with all their oil incomes?

we should have left the Middle East in the hands of their cruel dictators
now Pandoras box has been opened

this kind of immigrants are a blessing for Britain, unlike many that have arrived from outside Europe

still east to west and not west to east as per title of this particular thread ;)........

Not really, before Black Death Italy was prosperous and on verge of Renaissance.

I did not really refer to Italy in that post, though.

Italy and Iberia are rather parts of Southern Europe (OK, maybe South-Western Europe).

And of course I was writing about average peasants and urban plebs, not about the elites.

One of reasons why the Black Death took such a heavy toll, was that people were undernourished.

Wherever people were healthy and well-nourished, the Black Death did not kill so many of them.

Black Death set Europe back couple of hundreds of years in cultural and economic development.

Not really. After the Black Death average people became more prosperous because labour became more valuable.

There was shortage of cheap labour after the plague, which triggered various developments, including capitalism.

This thread has been viewed 22808 times.

Back